Service sector economy has collapsed since Brexit

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I guess we'll all find out one way or another in autumn when the financial figures come out. 
    But we won't.  We never will.

If there economy has taken a dip, it'll be because of Brexit.  If GDP is up 2%, it'll "only" be 2% because of Brexit - it would have been up 5% if it wasn't for Brexit.  Etc.

On the day after, the papers were full of headlines about how many £bns had been wiped off the "value" of the UK and everyone's pensions because of the fall the FTSE-100 took.  Headlines.  Doom & gloom.  All due to Brexit.  All the fault of anyone who voted Leave.

Yup, the FTSE-100 fell 300 points.  It wasn't a good day.  Less than a month later, its 400 points higher.  So all those £bns that had been lost, have been put back, twice over.  Did anyone see the headlines?

Point1:  Well, things didn't turn out so badly then.
    Point2:  There's no way of knowing whether things would have been better still - or worse - if the vote had gone the other way.

But unless someone has a foot in a parallel universe in which we voted Remain, we can never know what the true impact was.  It'll just be supposition and interpretation - and most interpretations will either be selectively chosen or deliberately misrepresented to fit with the commentator's pre-vote prejudice.
    I meant we will find out if we are in a recession or not. (I know technically it's 2 quarters)

Though I get your point that you can't know what would have happened had the vote gone the other way if we go into a massive recession with a collapse in business and consumer confidence and foreign investment playing a significant part (and I don't think we will) it's not unreasonable to assume that would be brexit related.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Rocker said:
    It looks bad when all the leavers camp have left.. Northern Ireland is in a spin too, economically they may have to leave the UK and join the Republic. If not, they will go down even quicker than any other part of the UK. Not a situation that brings any joy to us living south of the border.
    Glad to see we'll get a warm welcome then... 

NI will survive just fine. We've got Game of Thrones tourism to keep us afloat for at least 2 more seasons.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    edited July 2016
    My Thursday client is an atypical solicitors practice of two partners dealing mainly in commercial conveyancing and high end residential - all over northwest London and the home counties - turning over about 1.5 million quid annually..

Normally, they expect to open 3 to 5 new conveyancing files a week which they did until Brexit, since when, none.

Make of that what you will.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Yawn.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2016
    The FTSE is nominally higher because it is denominated in sterling, which has fallen dramatically against the major currencies.

if you're buying uk shares in dollars then the FTSE is looking pretty cheap
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    rlw said:
    My Thursday client is an atypical solicitors practice of two partners dealing mainly in commercial conveyancing and high end residential - all over northwest London and the home counties - turning over about 1.5 million quid annually..

Normally, they expect to open 3 to 5 new conveyancing files a week which they did until Brexit, since when, none.

Make of that what you will.
    The Sunday Times have been reporting a slow down in high end London residential sales for a year now.  They had a big feature on the price crash and reduction in demand in Battersea/Nine Elms about 6 months ago.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    I thought we were officially in recession before the referendum even took place.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:
    I thought we were officially in recession before the referendum even took place.
    The last recession in the UK was in 2009. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Chuffola said:
    Rocker said:
    It looks bad when all the leavers camp have left.. Northern Ireland is in a spin too, economically they may have to leave the UK and join the Republic. If not, they will go down even quicker than any other part of the UK. Not a situation that brings any joy to us living south of the border.
    Glad to see we'll get a warm welcome then... 

NI will survive just fine. We've got Game of Thrones tourism to keep us afloat for at least 2 more seasons.

The people of NI will be welcome as always.  The cost of unification of the country, nowhere like the cost of reunifying Germany, would be as high as rescuing the Banks.

NI will survive as it is if the UK Government pay the additional monies that the EU already pay.  As I understand it, NI already receives more per person from the UK Budget than the other regions like Wales and Scotland do.  For the sake of NI, I hope that happens.  In reality such things very seldom do.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    siremoon said:
    Sambostar said:
    Oh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36266178

Sambostar said:
    siremoon said:
    Sambostar said:
    Oh

One sector shrinking does not constitute a recession.  GDP has to shrink for 2 consecutive quarters.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27641
    Sambostar said:
    siremoon said:
    Sambostar said:
    Oh

That's "manufacturing" industry.

it ignores the service sector, agriculture, etc.

Manufacturing has been in decline for decades, at least as a % of the total economy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited July 2016
    Clarky said:
    if I recall correctly, a great many that voted to leave were at the lower end of the pay scale and long term unemployed..
    I'd have thought that these would be the people hit the hardest by Brexit and a subsequent economic downturn

Hooray!

The worlds going to explode, my teeth are going to fall out and the moon is going to hit the earth - all because of Brexit.

My nan stopped pissing herself, the only gay in the village is now straight, the local Police let me off murder - all because of Brexit.

The Queen has taken up Morris dancing, Prince William has announced a fee sex-night with his wife over a pint of old wallop and Jeremy Vine is voting Labour - all because of Brexit.

My piles have healed, I found a spare Ferrari under the carpet, the dog now talks in his sleep - all because of Brexit.

What did Brexit do for you today ?

Made me shit myself, but I found a lost wedding ring in the turd.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    edited July 2016
    TTony said:
    I guess we'll all find out one way or another in autumn when the financial figures come out. 
    But we won't.  We never will.

If there economy has taken a dip, it'll be because of Brexit.  If GDP is up 2%, it'll "only" be 2% because of Brexit - it would have been up 5% if it wasn't for Brexit.  Etc.

On the day after, the papers were full of headlines about how many £bns had been wiped off the "value" of the UK and everyone's pensions because of the fall the FTSE-100 took.  Headlines.  Doom & gloom.  All due to Brexit.  All the fault of anyone who voted Leave.

Yup, the FTSE-100 fell 300 points.  It wasn't a good day.  Less than a month later, its 400 points higher.  So all those £bns that had been lost, have been put back, twice over.  Did anyone see the headlines?

Point1:  Well, things didn't turn out so badly then.
    Point2:  There's no way of knowing whether things would have been better still - or worse - if the vote had gone the other way.

But unless someone has a foot in a parallel universe in which we voted Remain, we can never know what the true impact was.  It'll just be supposition and interpretation - and most interpretations will either be selectively chosen or deliberately misrepresented to fit with the commentator's pre-vote prejudice.
    I'd argue on the "never will" statement.

If in 10 years time our GDP is less than that of France, I'm declaring Brexit a complete and utter failure. 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4152
    To be honest, I think the whingers do more harm for UK than Brexit. If you all keep sprouting doom and gloom, there will be no confidence in anything, so get on with it and work for a better Britain, not crying over a shit system that was getting worse. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
    To be honest, I think the whingers do more harm for UK than Brexit. If you all keep sprouting doom and gloom, there will be no confidence in anything, so get on with it and work for a better Britain, not crying over a shit system that was getting worse. 

No.

The leavers have just bolloxed the economy and won't admit it.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    I'd disagree with that statement. The global finance system is not going to take any notice of the 17 million odd Britain's of which a percentage are being very vocal about the grim outlook. Like wise the vacuous "suck it up" or "crack on" phrases that I hear a lot, will not have a positive impact on proceedings. 

It's like someone saying after they have  punched you in the face or raped your wife.

It will be better if you stop whinging and pull together to make things better.

Better for them to not face up to what they have done .

2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

No.

The leavers have just bolloxed the economy and won't admit it.

Well to be fair, if you want to act like children, for me personally, a lot of the remainers completely bolloxed my life and prospects in the UK and many of them are a PITA to boot.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom