Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boring NCD

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Sporky said:

There are USB sockets but bunging a memory stick full of MP3s into one or t'other does not result in the stereo playing those MP3s.

There's something about mobile apps, but I'm not sure how amused work will be if I use the data allowance on the phone for Spotify.
    Cant you download a bunch on wifi from spotify and play locally?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28732
    Probably!

The last few cars I've had have had USB or SD slots which seems less faffy to me. I actually found it bizarre that it's got a CD player!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • That odd, I've a 64 plate mondeo mine works when I stick a USB in, what kind of stereo is in it? One of the touch screen ones?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Sporky said:
    A couple of jobs ago I had a Toyboata Noneventsis. On account of it cornered like a barge and was utterly boring.
    You loved that car.  IIRC.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

I've just gone the boring route too. After most recently having a Golf GTD and then a Scirocco before it, I've gone big, wallowy Passat. And I'm loving it.

It's got all the kit and it wafts along lovely, makes my driving very relaxed. All those twats in GTD's and Scirocco's are up my arse and I don't care!

I must be getting old.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That odd, I've a 64 plate mondeo mine works when I stick a USB in, what kind of stereo is in it? One of the touch screen ones?
    It is a touchscreen one, yes. I will try it again and maybe even read the book of words.
    TTony said:
    Sporky said:
    A couple of jobs ago I had a Toyboata Noneventsis. On account of it cornered like a barge and was utterly boring.
    You loved that car.  IIRC.
    Gah! It was off-silver-with-a-hint-of-greeny-gold and it smelled. Awful waste of metal and rubber.
    dindude said:

I've just gone the boring route too. After most recently having a Golf GTD and then a Scirocco before it, I've gone big, wallowy Passat. And I'm loving it.

I had a Passat long-term hire car (actually, it's still outside awaiting collection).

Really boring to drive, but very good to live with.

Been out in the Mundano to take Sprocket for her evening walk; she likes it and jumps straight into the boot. The headrests are awful - it's like having someone sitting behind you forcing your head forwards. Otherwise OK so far.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    Sporky said:
    It has DAB and Bluetooth. Also WIFI, and I can't work out what that's for. It isn't that it bridges the phone to give WIFI to people in the car, it's that the car can connect to WIFI.
    It's so I can hack into it and disable the brakes.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Sporky said:
    Probably!

The last few cars I've had have had USB or SD slots which seems less faffy to me. I actually found it bizarre that it's got a CD player!
    Our demo comes on a cd
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I have a company issue 2014 Mondeo Zetec Business edition. I have no complaints and it's been reliable enough with no problems, but there's one major thing that pisses me off with it and it's happened a couple of times now...

If you get within about 5k miles of needing a service, and you happen to wander over 3000 RPM (overtaking etc); a warning message pops up on the screen, saying ENGINE SERVICE NOW - it then sends you into limp home mode where you can barely accelerate at all. If this occurs in the middle of an overtaking manoeuvre, it will kill the power and physically hold the car back - very dangerous IMO.

It will reset when you switch the engine off and back on again, but will do the same thing again unless you drive like an undertaker until you get it serviced. It's almost like Ford is holding you to ransom until you pay for a service. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Had my first slightly longer trip this morning - about 40 miles.

The steering wheel isn't on straight.
    It pulls to the left.
    There's a really annoying whining/whirring noise that only goes awa if you turn the ventilation system off completely - it doesn't change based on the fan setting nor with aircon on or off.
    My neck and shoulders ache from that stupid headrest.
    The keyless stuff doesn't work well - if the car is unlocked and you grab the handle to open the door, it locks it.
    The boot doesn't shut very reliably.
    Auto stop-start doesn't work with the electronic handbrake.
    The electronic handbrake doesn't disengage in reverse, only in drive.

To be fair this is about what I expected of a Ford - crap ergonomics and badly put together. Sadly the only option to get rid of it is to change job...
  • Sporky said:
    Had my first slightly longer trip this morning - about 40 miles.

The steering wheel isn't on straight.
    It pulls to the left.
    There's a really annoying whining/whirring noise that only goes awa if you turn the ventilation system off completely - it doesn't change based on the fan setting nor with aircon on or off.
    My neck and shoulders ache from that stupid headrest.
    The keyless stuff doesn't work well - if the car is unlocked and you grab the handle to open the door, it locks it.
    The boot doesn't shut very reliably.
    Auto stop-start doesn't work with the electronic handbrake.
    The electronic handbrake doesn't disengage in reverse, only in drive.

To be fair this is about what I expected of a Ford - crap ergonomics and badly put together. Sadly the only option to get rid of it is to change job...
    In fairness, it sounds more like you've been given someone else's dog of a company car, rather than the problem being a Ford. Every manufacture puts out a few hundred lemons. I had a Citroen recently that was beyond awful, yet people rave about them...
    Thing is, though, it's brand-spanky new. It had about forty miles on it when it arrived.

And why weren't any of these noticed at PDI, or by the delivery driver?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4269
    edited August 2016
    I've always liked Fords - never found the ergonomics to be a problem, and I always seem to fit in the seats which, granted, is a very personal thing. I like the way they drive too, to me they're as good as any recent VAG product I've had a bash at. Every one I've had has been pretty much indestructible to boot. They get the odd interior rattle after a few years, but they're built to a price so I just kinda accept it and it's never really bothered me all that much. Nothing ever actually drops off or stops working however badly you treat them.

Having said all that, you'd think I'd be a bit more prickly and jumping to their defence at any given chance. Then I remember the combination of their comedy new list prices (a work of fiction John Steinbeck would be proud of), added to the pisspoor brand image, is what makes them such utter bargains at three years old when they come off the corporate lease deals. Better not rock that boat too hard  ;)
    It drives OK - certainly much better than the previous generation one I had as my first company hire car. At least on this one the amount you turn the steering wheel seems to directly relate to how far the front wheels turn. No feel whatsoever through the wheel though.

Seems incredibly thirsty too - the trip computer says 29mpg so far where the Passat I had before (also arrived with delivery mileage) did 45mpg straight off.
    ...and in typically helpful Ford dealer style, they won't help me at the weekend. The corporate team is only available during the week, and because it's a company car no-one else is "allowed" to do anything about the issues.

Wunch of bankers.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4269
    Sporky said:
    ...and in typically helpful Ford dealer style, they won't help me at the weekend. The corporate team is only available during the week, and because it's a company car no-one else is "allowed" to do anything about the issues.

Wunch of bankers.
    I won't disagree with you there, I wouldn't inflict a Ford dealer on my worst enemy. Another advantage of buying them used I guess. 

That said, I don't hear that many good stories of dealerships in general, no matter the brand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Thing is, though, it's brand-spanky new. It had about forty miles on it when it arrived.

And why weren't any of these noticed at PDI, or by the delivery driver?
    That's fair enough pal. A definite lemon by the sounds of it.
    edited August 2016
    So... an informative day.

Alphabet, the fleet management company, "can't" do anything until the car is "on the system", which will apparently take a few days. How they managed to order it and have it delivered without it being on the system is beyond me.

So I called the supplying dealer, explained the faults, and they told me to take the car to the local dealer. I told them that if it was a private purchase I'd have rejected it. They said maybe they could do something if I brought it to them - it's an hour's round trip. Not today, of course. I pointed out that they ought to feel a bit more interest in resolving this as it clearly hadn't been PDI'd. The chap has "promised" to give me a call by the end of the day; I suggested the car should be back on my drive repaired by the end of the day. He scuttled off (metaphorically at least).

I tried the local dealer; they said most of the issues are intentional "design features" but conceded that maybe the steering wheel should be straight and it should go in a straight line and it shouldn't sound like a coffee grinder. They can offer a service slot on the 6th of September and said really I should take it up with the supplying dealer or whoever sold it to me or maybe the fleet company.

I feel quite justified in saying that Ford are a bunch of shitheels, that Think Ford (who run both dealerships) are a bunch of shitheels, and that Alphabet, who are the fleet company, are a bunch of shitheels.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    I've been doing a lot of Motorway driving with having Twins at University and the 2 most common cars that I have seen awaiting recovery on the Hard Shoulder have been Mini's and BMW's, seems a pattern there.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    To be fair, I've had good service from my ford dealership, (who fixed an impressive array of issues since I've had the car), though they could smile occasionally. Wheel is on straight, goes straight, plays music in stereo.  

I I have an iPhone cable in one of the USB slots, and charge the phone as I drive.  I like that you can have multiple Bluetooth devices connected, play music off one, make calls from the other....

No rattles from mine, and all faults have been fixed quickly, and even at weekends.  Though, the dealership is a stones throw from my home....

it handles better than the Lexus I had before....