Your favorite reverb pedal and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I found the spring setting on the RV-6 sounded very harsh compared to the FRV-1.  The other settings and the ambient stuff was cool though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72767
    What's the difference between the RV5 and RV6?
    The RV-6 looks crap because it's got that new brushed-effect panel they're putting on everything.

:)

The RV-6 has a different set of modes - no Gate, but with Dynamic, Shimmer and +Delay. I might have to look into it because I never used the gate, but the new modes sound interesting.

johnhe said:
    I owned the Mooer Shimverb and it was completely awful. I love Mooer pedals, but the Shimverb did not have a decent sound in it.
    I'd have to agree, from the only one I've heard that was working. I only mentioned it because it was small and cheap.

johnhe said:

I've been really surprised by folks complaints about the TC HoF. I've had both the small and large versions, and for what I use it for (less is more), I've always been reall happy with it.
    I like the sound of all the TC pedals, but I hate the switches and the unreliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    Mooer Shim Verb?

But probably too many knobs - and they break as well.
    My mate owns one of these and it's great, his hasn't broke either. The only weird thing is that it has one of those funky shimmer modes but instead of the artificial note being an octave up its some weird harmony note (I don't know the musical term!) but as a result it always sounds like you've got a pitch shifter on - on the wrong setting. 

The stock reverb sounds are great though
    I found the ShimVerb's stock reverb to be a wee bit boxy. Not enough decay. I replaced it with the Boss FRV-1 which is superb. Admittedly it's just one sound, but it's the nazz.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    Intetesting thoughts. Quite surprised to see the boss frv-1 getting lots of love.  How does it stack up to the topanga and super spring theory.
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    I was thinking the same - I sided with the Topanga over the FRV1 originally but now I'm thinking I'll need to check out the FRV1 again.

This place is no good - I thought I had my OD GAS finally under control and now it's just reverb GAS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always thought TC looked great and they present themselves well so it's a surprise to hear they're poor quality. Why is this? Place of manuacture? Components?

I don't need a reverb pedal anymore but this has been useful!
  • The digitech polara is slightly smaller than a boss, has loads of headroom, runs off 9v power with internal doubling, has a clickless, silent switch, true bypass or buffer (use the buffer) and excellent sounds. 

Four knobs. O e of them you leave on either modulated, plate or Hall. The other three you twiddle once. Then you can switch it on and never touch it again. You'll have excellent, professional grade reverb in a small, reliable package. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Boss RV3 and RV5 are great pedals. The HoF is okay but I think on paper and based on clips I'd prefer their Trinity reverb pedal. I also think Toneprint is a bit of a gimmick - I've owned 3 HoF's over the years, and not once did I really feel I benefited from the Toneprint stuff.

The Big Sky is killer, very programmable but simple enough to not require too much time investment.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 143
    tFB Trader
    Not a big reverb user (in fact none at all in the current rig) but always got on well with the Bob Burt Reverb. Simple but brilliant, I sold it to someone on here a while back.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited August 2016
    I just realised I've owned like 5 perfectly fine reverbs and have sold them all on only to buy another and sell it on too.

I've never been in a band which is "ambient" enough to need one.  Not much use for a reverb for upbeat and/or punky stuff, except a slappy spring sound which can be quite exciting.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited August 2016
    big sky because it it sounds great and has three preset switches for each bank, which comes in handy when looping. 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited August 2016
    I recently got a Talisman from @TubeGuy ;;

Man. It's gorgeous. 

I bought it out of plate curiosity and because the reverb in my amp has gone on strike, foxed my diagnostics, and I'm waiting for that glorious confluence of motivation and opportunity to get it fixed.

So it's meant to be a tide-me-over reverb pedal, but I can tell you it's dealt a heavy blow to the motivation to fix the amp. It's not varied in its sound, but what it does it does perfectly - from subtle behind-the-scenes to mad in-your-face. I can see it hanging around for a loooooong time, even when the amp gets fixed.

It seems to have some high harmonic content, and at high Time and Mix settings it's very pleasant to get lost in. And it's got an Echorec in front of it, so I lose hours to those two. 
    So, I recommend that. 

I had a Cathedral. It was okay. I sold it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    I know I bang on about it, but the Talisman remains the best small pedal verb Ive used
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1564
    I'm still loving my Supermoon. Great tone as well as the option of going from normal to deep space!

The regular SM beats the Supermoon chrome and red panda context that I have also owned.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    Having looked, it's quite staggering how many are available now. Talisman, topanga, hooke and chrome in a single pedal please.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    I just bought a Polara as a tide-me-over and it's surprisingly excellent. Obscura on the way now too... 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited August 2016
    Patch 221 'Country' on my Custom-programmed BOSS ME-5 is pure Johnny Cash...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/3d/49/e7/3d49e71387e138d102d024988bacfaf1.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    Flint for versatility (this is on my nano board)
    Mr Black Supermoon for eerie weird spectral noises (I only use this for mucking about at home/recording)
    Carl Martin Headroom for real spring splash and kick-ability (this is on my rock n roll band board)
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    ICBM said:
    Boss RV-5

TCs have a habit of breaking… had another one in the shop today. (Polytune this time, but the others are no better.)
    HOF here too. Sounds great for not a lot. Don't forget if you buy it from Thomann you've got a 3 yr guarantee. I had a problem with my flashback x4  after 18months+, & they kindly paid for it to be shipped back to them for checking. Realising it was a genuine but intermitent fault they replaced with a new one, 2 wks start to finish.