Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Grab n' Go Combo

What's Hot
andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited September 2016 in Amps
I've got some nice heads and cabinets but sometimes hanker for a Grab n' Go Combo.

Already have a Blackstar HT5R (my first amp) and want something bigger and nicer - must be less than 20kg and no point in anything >20w.  Something in the £700 - £1000 new price range.  My favourite cabinets have Greenbacks in them so a combo with the same would be up the list.

The Blackstar Artist 15 was in my sights but REALLY don't like top controls, must have front controls.

I'd like something that I can use with pedals but also has some drive onboard for when I can't be arsed with pedals.  Won't be gigged (unless my ability magically improves in my sleep)

On a lateral move I had considered a Roland Blues Cube Artist but that may be a step too far away from all my valve amps.  I like the size of it though - nice shallow cabinet.  My favorite cabinet form factor is the 1974cx as I really like shallow cabinets for carrying around.  If Marshall made a funky combo along those lines with controls on the front, master control, etc then I wouldn't be typing this thread...

What's out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    p.s. anyone selling stuff pm me.  It would need the box as it'll be a courier job to Nth Ireland.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

"The Blackstar Artist 15 was in my sights but REALLY don't like top controls, must have front controls."

The HT-40 has front controls and might get close to an Artist's tones if you get a tech to fit 6L6s (but I didn't say that!)

Why not the HT-20 you might ask? I reckon you will need the extra bit of clean power of the 40 and you would need to change the speaker in the 20.Mind you! I have NO idea what they fit in the 40.

Ooo! Need to check the 40's mass!

BTW just got a Tone-Link. Had to run the daftly tiny booklet thru my scanner to read it but yes, my Nokia 201 found it in short order and I soon had Money For nothing coming out of my TV/computer powered speakers. Going to ship it to son then buy another one!

Dave.

• What you need is a Laney Lionheart and to stop worrying about the top/front thing :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Club 40 =24.4kgs. Just have an extra shredded wheat or fit a Neo?

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    I guess the snob in me wants to have a fairly decent jump to go to the effort of selling the HT5R.

The look of the HT20/40 doesn't really push my buttons.

Maybe I should reconsider the Artist 15 (if the Artisan 15 was a bit lighter I'd have considered it as like the looks so much I could probably deal with the top controls...)

I guess I like more retro stuff.  If there was a 1974x with a master volume control I'd have probably bought it by now.

• andyoz said:

I guess I like more retro stuff.  If there was a 1974x with a master volume control I'd have probably bought it by now.

I'm sure one the builders around these parts could put something together for you on this score, if they don''t already have something like it in their current range.

Disclaimer: I'm not an amp builder or affiliated to any amp builder on this site!
  • andyoz said:

I bey Martin at mjw could build you one....
  • My co guitarist has a Boogie F30 which is very lovely. What's the new version called?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1627
    Both of my MJW combos weigh very little, sound brilliant and the Roadstar does that 1974x thing perfectly. 
    edited September 2016
    Ah, I'd forgotten about Mesa.  I didn't have a good experience with the TA30 head I tried but I still like the look of their core products.  Don't seem to fetch nearly as much second hand as they once did either.

Mesa's range is bloody confusing though.  WEIGHT..!!!
    edited September 2016
    What you need is a Laney Lionheart and to stop worrying about the top/front thing p
    This one? http://www.laney.co.uk/products/l20t-112/
    I probably need to get over my controls on the front hang up as it's limiting my choice. 

• Brunetti Maranello pretty much fits that bill. 20w, 112 combo, lightweight, two very good channels, FX loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

Laney VC15....has the switchable drive channel, button or footswitch, & reverb. Take pedals well & is very reliable and easy to lug around. Nice tones for sure. Got a lot of poke for a little fella the VC15. fits your needs except the top controls will make it ano go area for you which is a shame... top quality amps these (no, I'm not trying to sell you mine LOL)

Much of those already mentioned I would not put in the grab and go category...Ht20 is fairly cumbersome just like an AC15...great amps with great sound but not lightweights

andyoz said:
    I guess the snob in me wants to have a fairly decent jump to go to the effort of selling the HT5R.

Maybe I should reconsider the Artist 15 (if the Artisan 15 was a bit lighter I'd have considered it as like the looks so much I could probably deal with the top controls...)

Put a Neo in an Artisan? And aren't Mesas made of Osmium?

HT-20 "cumbersome"?? Even at my advanced age and crumbled state I can still chuck one of those about!

Dave.

ecc83 said:
    andyoz said:

Put a Neo in an Artisan? And aren't Mesas made of Osmium?

Neo, I need to look into that.
  • andyoz said:
    What you need is a Laney Lionheart and to stop worrying about the top/front thing p
    This one? http://www.laney.co.uk/products/l20t-112/
    I probably need to get over my controls on the front hang up as it's limiting my choice. 

Or the 5W version if it's genuinely only for home use. Cracking little things and really silly value on the used market. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I'd take it out a bit and I reckon 20w or less is perfect. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    A used Bad Cat 1x12 Black Cat or CubIII would be a hell of an amp within your budget. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Koch Studiotone

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    relic245 said:
    andyoz said:

I bet Martin at mjw could build you one....

I could. Just built this for myself. Weighs in at 13.5kg with a Neo Creamback.

Very long wait at the moment though

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom