Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Grab n' Go Combo

What's Hot

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1468
    edited September 2016
    miserneil said:
    A used Bad Cat 1x12 Black Cat or CubIII would be a hell of an amp within your budget.

This. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    Brunetti Maranello pretty much fits that bill. 20w, 112 combo, lightweight, two very good channels, FX loop.
    Know anyone selling one?  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Whatever amp you get,

"The Grab-n-go Combo" is a brilliant band name.
    Just saying.

Hope you get the amp you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You say you've considered a Roland Blues Cube Artist. It's worth trying one. I recently got the 1x12 version.

It has various output level settings. It works for me at home and, based on a couple of gigs, it works in a live context. Plus it's lightweight and in a convenient combo format.
    It's not a competition.
  • H&k 20th or 25th anniversary amps.  Ridiculous cheap second hand and sound great
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    miserneil said:
    A used Bad Cat 1x12 Black Cat or CubIII would be a hell of an amp within your budget. 
    You know, I've never considered Bad Cat combos's. A low wattage one makes sense.  A pedal at the front to give it a kick!
    edited September 2016
    martinw said:
    relic245 said:
    andyoz said:

I guess I like more retro stuff.  If there was a 1974x with a master volume control I'd have probably bought it by now.

I bet Martin at mjw could build you one....

I could. Just built this for myself. Weighs in at 13.5kg with a Neo Creamback.

Very long wait at the moment though

Jesus, that's lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You say you've considered a Roland Blues Cube Artist. It's worth trying one. I recently got the 1x12 version.

It has various output level settings. It works for me at home and, based on a couple of gigs, it works in a live context. Plus it's lightweight and in a convenient combo format.
    I guess the solid state format does draw me a bit.  The thought of warming up a valve amp for my low volune practice seasons does feel like a bit of a waste of good valves...
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    I've had every boutique amp going, Matchless, Badcat, Two Rock and still have a Carr Rambler and for home use I prefer my Blues Cube Hot. It just sounds and feels better at low volumes than a real valve amp. Valve amps to me have such wide dymanics I find it irritating to try and balance them to backing tracks or records as you get some chords or notes jumping out louder. I would go try the Blues Cube.
    If it has to be valve though the bad cat 15's do sound great at low volumes.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • koss59 said:
    I've had every boutique amp going, Matchless, Badcat, Two Rock and still have a Carr Rambler and for home use I prefer my Blues Cube Hot. It just sounds and feels better at low volumes than a real valve amp. Valve amps to me have such wide dymanics I find it irritating to try and balance them to backing tracks or records as you get some chords or notes jumping out louder. I would go try the Blues Cube.
    If it has to be valve though the bad cat 15's do sound great at low volumes.
    Interesting ... I've also found using a "real" valve amp against a record annoying in the same way. With a live band it's great, but against a polished recording (i.e. with some compression etc. etc.) it grates.

Quick fix is one of two things:
    1. Turn up the music and amp to the point your getting compression in the power tubes
    2. Add some compression to your amp (in the loop or otherwise) - studio type compression, not "effect" compression. I find the Diamond Compressor the nicest for this, and it's the most natural compressor I've found

Then I can still use the same setup :D
  • Again, for the above reasons I'd go for a Bad Cat. They have a lovely natural compression to them anyway, and the new K Master lets you drive it nicely at really low volumes. 

I'm currently using my Cub III 30r both at home (REALLY quietly!) and on stage with a loud band. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    I'd go for the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Light, fairly compact and the speaker is basically a greenback (although how well it pairs with the amp - particularly the vintage channel - is a bit of a contentious issue). 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Mesa Express 5:25 1x10" - you don't get anybmore grab (with one hand) and go than that.

Versatile, hellaciously loud for its size, easy to use, and built like a (small) tank. I've had mine about 10 years (since shortly after the Express series launched anyway), it's gigged on and off with two bands, been a  pub jam night "house amp", been my home noodling amp, and still looks and sounds pretty much like new.

Even though it's now been retired from gigging duties (other than the odd occasion there's no room in the car or on stage for the big Blackstar Series One rig) I wouldn't be without it
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    I'm coming back to the Roland Blues Cube range as I guess I want something totally different to all my valve heads.  I'd be more tempted to turn on a SS amp for those quick 15min practice stabs that I really need to keep going on with.  The Stage looks like the perfect size/weight.

Also, I think Roland are a class company.
  • Suspect the Badcats are a little over the weight limit, but they supposed to be excellent (I hope so as I have a Cub III 15R on the way!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited September 2016
    Suspect the Badcats are a little over the weight limit, but they supposed to be excellent (I hope so as I have a Cub III 15R on the way!)
    Yeah, I think the lightest Bad Cat combo is 25kg so it would be a Grab n' Groan

I've got a Bad Cat Cub III 40w by the way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    JayGee said:
    Mesa Express 5:25 1x10" - you don't get anybmore grab (with one hand) and go than that.

That's a peach @JayGee ;; I really am draw to the Classic Mesa look.  I struggle with the idea of just a 10" though...not sure why I've got that hang up.  I see the the 10" Express 5:25 is 17kg.

Is this the current 12" equivalent.  Is there an older version without the EQ as it would be wasted on me.
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/express-plus-series/express-5-25-plus/index.html
  • What weight is the wee Bobcat? I think that's pretty light!
  • They did a 12" version of the regular 5:25, and the 5:25+ version is 12" as standard iirc. 

Don't dismiss the 10" version though - I gigged one for a year and it was the biggest-sounding 10" amp I've ever tried.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    What weight is the wee Bobcat? I think that's pretty light!
    Hmmm, never looked at that Bad Cat model before.  The Bobcat 20 is only 40lb (18kg)
    http://www.badcatamps.com/bobcat-20/

Looks cool as feck though.