Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Grab n' Go Combo

What's Hot

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    My shortlist is forming nicely lads....love youz all...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    No love for Rivera Clubster ?

My grab & go is a Fender PRRI - won't Djent, but covers most other bases.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • There's also the little Bobcat 5r at Coda, and the 5/100 with the built-in Unleash thingy. 

I've never played a Bobcat, but they've got to be worth a look!
    edited September 2016
    Jalapeno said:

My grab & go is a Fender PRRI - won't Djent, but covers most other bases.
    I noticed Coda had this the other day but looks not pushing my buttons.  http://www.coda-music.com/rivera-clubster-royale-secondhand-p-23826.html

• Jalapeno said:

We're just listing all my old amps now..! 

Clubster 25 also lovely. I always though of it as a non-trem Deluxe in a Princeton box. Nice little thing but I found it too loud for home. Great for gigs though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited September 2016
    There's also the little Bobcat 5r at Coda, and the 5/100 with the built-in Unleash thingy. 

I've never played a Bobcat, but they've got to be worth a look!
    This one too.. http://www.coda-music.com/bobcat-reverb-p-20804.html
    Think they've got the weight wrong at 30lb...Bad Cat site lists it at 40lb (18kg) which is still OK..
    edited September 2016
    They did a 12" version of the regular 5:25, and the 5:25+ version is 12" as standard iirc. 

Don't dismiss the 10" version though - I gigged one for a year and it was the biggest-sounding 10" amp I've ever tried.
    I found the 1 x 12" version @stickyfiddle
    e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Express-5-25-1x12-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-/222136814931?hash=item33b862cd53:g:BKsAAOSwVyRXTgV7&nma=true&si=IimNJtdmhf5nM2%2FtAX4p%2FqmArks%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It could be one to watch out for.  The switching on the 5:25+ looks a bit fiddly with that graphic in there - I like the look of the older version more TBH.

My co guitarist has a Boogie F30 which is very lovely. What's the new version called?
    The F30 looks good.  The 5:25 switching to 5w probably gives it the nod over the F30 though.
    edited September 2016
    There's one of these floating around second hand online within budget.  I like the look of this one and 18kg...
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/rectifier-series/recto-verb-twenty-five/1x12-combo.html

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Tone King Falcon perfect grab and go great cleans and nice dirt with an attenuator. 

Whats not to like ? 

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Funnily enough, I have an Express 5:25 1x12 and was keeping my eye on this thread for ideas for a lighter option!  While it's not the heaviest amp in the world it's about 20kg I can just about manage a guitar on my back, pedalboard (PT2 hard case) in one hand and the mesa in the other.  BUT I literally will have to be parked outside the door and no stairs.  I've also put a greenback in mine which is a bit lighter than the V30 that's in it stock.  

disclaimer: I might be a bit of a wuss... ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    Interested about the Greenback option as that's just what I was thinking.  I've got a spare G12m-20 heritage which might be nice and saves 1kg (conservatively rated at 20w and can take closer to 30w from what I've read).  How different did the Greenback sound to the stock v30.

The Rectoverb 25 I linked to above is a couple of kg lighter than the 5:25 1 x 12" from what I can find on the web.  I like the idea of the insane gain option on that combo which would get an occasional poke.
  • martinw said:
    relic245 said:
    andyoz said:

I guess I like more retro stuff.  If there was a 1974x with a master volume control I'd have probably bought it by now.

I bet Martin at mjw could build you one....

I could. Just built this for myself. Weighs in at 13.5kg with a Neo Creamback.

Very long wait at the moment though

Thats great to hear you busy Martin, at least people are buying amps then! 

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I prefer the greenback and it was noticeably lighter which is bonus, seems to bit less harsh than the v30.  Not selling.  Just thinking about getting something that's lighter and different to this.
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, I like the Greenbacks for quieter playing, more articulate.  Good to know it's a good fit as you never know with these things.  Really liking the Mesa options at the moment.

I was disappointed in the TA30 head I bought because, i) it was fan cooled, ii) stupid blue lights, iii) fiddly switch gear...but I liked the sound of the thing.

Is the 5:25 fan cooled - hope not?
    edited September 2016
    Screw it, I think I'll go for a Blues Cube Artist.  It's about the same size and weight as my 1974cx cabinet and I like the idea of something totally different to my valves.

Might try a decent Greenback in it as well as I've read others have tried this and I have a few spare.

I'd use it alot for practice, etc. which is the whole point.

• andyoz said:
    Screw it, I think I'll go for a Blues Cube Artist.  It's about the same size and weight as my 1974cx cabinet and I like the idea of something totally different to my valves.

Might try a decent Greenback in it as well as I've read others have tried this and I have a few spare.

I'd use it alot for practice, etc. which is the whole point.

Would a greenback handle the power? 
    Maybe!!!
  • andyoz said:
    Screw it, I think I'll go for a Blues Cube Artist...

It might be worth trying one first. I like mine, but we all have different tastes.
    It's not a competition.