Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Grab n' Go Combo

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    andyoz said:
    Interested about the Greenback option as that's just what I was thinking.  I've got a spare G12m-20 heritage which might be nice and saves 1kg (conservatively rated at 20w and can take closer to 30w from what I've read).
    I wouldn't try that. I'm not certain about the Heritage but the standard Greenback reissue is not especially robust by Celestion standards - I wouldn't try it with any amp above 20W at all, at least if you have any intention of cranking it up. Its an expensive thing to find out the hard way, too…

The good news is that the G12M-65 Creamback sounds very similar and will take 65W. There's also the new Creamback Neo, which sounds similar again and weighs far less than either of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz said:
    martinw said:
    relic245 said:
    andyoz said:

I guess I like more retro stuff.  If there was a 1974x with a master volume control I'd have probably bought it by now.

I bet Martin at mjw could build you one....

I could. Just built this for myself. Weighs in at 13.5kg with a Neo Creamback.

Very long wait at the moment though

Jesus, that's lovely.
    Agreed, I've been looking for a good storage solution for bits and bobs for ages. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz said:
    Jalapeno said:
    No love for Rivera Clubster ?

My grab & go is a Fender PRRI - won't Djent, but covers most other bases.
    I noticed Coda had this the other day but looks not pushing my buttons.  http://www.coda-music.com/rivera-clubster-royale-secondhand-p-23826.html

Fuck me that's a pretty amp. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited September 2016
    That's funny. I can't decide if it's amazing or a bit fugly
  • Another option. If you like the sound of the HT-5 but just want louder. IE something more pro. Just get a 2x12 extension cab for the amp
    edited September 2016
    ICBM said:
    andyoz said:
    Interested about the Greenback option as that's just what I was thinking.  I've got a spare G12m-20 heritage which might be nice and saves 1kg (conservatively rated at 20w and can take closer to 30w from what I've read).
    I wouldn't try that. I'm not certain about the Heritage but the standard Greenback reissue is not especially robust by Celestion standards - I wouldn't try it with any amp above 20W at all, at least if you have any intention of cranking it up. Its an expensive thing to find out the hard way, too…

The good news is that the G12M-65 Creamback sounds very similar and will take 65W. There's also the new Creamback Neo, which sounds similar again and weighs far less than either of them.

Is it true that the G12 EVH is identical to a G12m-20 Heritage....  alot of forum posts from lads getting that confirmed direct from Celestion tech dept.

I know they rate the 4 x G12 EVH cabinet at 100w and lads cane them.  From what I read the 20w is more for marketing/legacy reasons and it can handle more than that (I plan to try a 2x G12 EVH with my 50w Smallbox)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    Quite likely that it's the same speaker. It's your money if you want to try it :).

Personally I've seen enough Greenbacks blown in 4x12"s with 100W heads and in 2x12"s with 50s that I wouldn't, but that's just me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good advice.  I dob't gig so wouldn't be canning them (although do have loudish jams!).  I just loved the sound I got when I used my 1x 12 G12m-20 VERY carefully with the Smallbox for a week that I'm itching for that sound again.  Got a pair of EVH's off here for a good price....figured it's the cheapest way to try for that sound again.
  • As I was just reading through this thread I was thinking about the Mesa Rectoverb - and then I caught-up with your post of that amp (and I also see that you've picked-up on the availability of one used).

I don't have any personal experience of this amp, but it was in my mind as I have been mulling a "grab and go" for myself.

Specs show it to be 18.5kg.

I'd like to try one - maybe someone with experience can chime in if you think it might be of interest to you?

Keep us posted . . . :)
    The Rectoverb is a Mini Rectifier in combo form with reverb.  Not sure if that sound is for me though?
  • The ultimate in this class is the Two Rock Jet
    the pop up second hand but aren't cheap
    you can hear the quality though
    edited September 2016
    I assume the Two Rock Jet is a fairly low gain amp?  I'll research a bit more as a big Two Rock fan. 
  • I played a TR Jet 22 at Toneworld a couple of years back - great amp.

Small footprint, lightweight - surprisingly big tone for such a small 1x12 combo.

I don't recall it being a high-gain monster at all, but there was gain to be had. Above all, I remember that it had great reverb and clarity.

There are two used at Coda right now, and there was one at a more sensible price here in the classifieds just recently - not sure if it is still available, though.
  • andyoz said:
    I assume the Two Rock Jet is a fairly low gain amp?  I'll research a bit more as a big Two Rock fan. 
    There is also the studio (more gain) and the gain master (too much gain)
    i have all three 
    the jet is the best of the bunch but it would need a pedal .
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, I really need something with onboard drive as don't want to always have to lug pedals.

p.s. I've got a Studio Pro Plus 35 head already.
    edited September 2016
    Been thinking more about this.  Maybe what I actually need is a <10kg lunchbox head that wood sit on my favourite Marshall 1974cx cabinet (<15kg).  None of my other heads sit on it so I have to take the larger cabinets....make me groan. ..

- Orange Tiny Terry (not keen on the loos)
    - Victory (get slatted a bit on here?)

What else?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    andyoz said:
    The Rectoverb is a Mini Rectifier in combo form with reverb.  Not sure if that sound is for me though?
    Which sound ? - my Mini Rectifier is very flexible with Vintage switch, awesome cleans ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited September 2016
    I guess I want something along the lines of my Friedman Smallbox head.  It's the amp I use most of the time so will always be my reference point.

That amp sounds great with the Marshall 1974cx cabinet but doesn't sit on top.  I'm trying to rig up a sub 20kg cabinet with 2 x G12m-20 heritage drivers to see with it.
    edited September 2016
    shaunm said:
    I like simplicity of that as I'm not a knob fiddler (at least 're. Guitars).. Not so keen on the form factor...any other options?  Think along the lines of Marshalls wee JMP1h head but a bit bigger.