New workshop time (nearly there...)

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Sporky said:
    Seriously, have a go. There's a prize.
    Said Dawg has seriously trashed the lawn, it's like a photo diary ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28227
    Jalapeno said:
    Sporky said:
    Seriously, have a go. There's a prize.
    Said Dawg has seriously trashed the lawn, it's like a photo diary ! ;)
    Yeah; dog plus wet plus previous rabbit damage doth not equal a happy lawn. Lady BMcH has managed to resow some of it, but the bit in the middle... not so much. We've got what claims to be dog-proof seed to replant.

They're motoring ahead now. Spray painted a grid for the piles and off they go. Beautifully flat bit of dirt all full of holes now.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/augur.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited November 2016
    That's a lot of concrete. Apparently not the Toblerone piles because the ground is flat enough to do it "properly". They seem to know what they're up to.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/concrete.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Exciting stuff :-)

Are you on tea-making duty? 
    Red ones are better. 
    I offered, they declined. Apparently tea isn't really done any more - it's seen as old-fashioned and slackerist (a word I may have made up). The fence people didn't want any, the groundwork people didn't want any and the foundation people don't want any.

All the holes are now full of concrete mix and they've got the hose out.
  • Sporky said:
    I offered, they declined. Apparently tea isn't really done any more - it's seen as old-fashioned and slackerist (a word I may have made up). The fence people didn't want any, the groundwork people didn't want any and the foundation people don't want any.

All the holes are now full of concrete mix and they've got the hose out.

My Uncle who moved to America gets weird looks when he offers workers anything. Only one accepted a cup of tea and he was British.
    They've got lasers! Could this day get more awesome? Well, yes, probably, but it's got lasers.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    You realise that they're going to bugger off any minute now ... "just need to nip back to the factory to get a couple of bits" .. and you'll not see them again for weeks??

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hush you.

They're just here for the foundations today. A different team installs/builds the workshop next week. Then electrics and the gate/fence sections, then ducting, then aircon, then machinery move.

I don't think it'll be complete before Crimbo, but I think it coudl well be up and running in January.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The foundations are complete and the underfloor is fixed in position. They've left the roof panels too. There's a lot of Celotex in the garden!
  • Sporky said:
    Hush you.

They're just here for the foundations today. A different team installs/builds the workshop next week. Then electrics and the gate/fence sections, then ducting, then aircon, then machinery move.

I don't think it'll be complete before Crimbo, but I think it coudl well be up and running in January.

That sounds like ages, just last week a new 4 bedroom house was built on my road in less than 4 days. It was one of those new fancy Ikea flat pack houses. 
    That's probably pretty easy when it's all being done by one bunch. The workshop people don't do the electrics to the scale that I want, so separate electrician - he can't come in until the building is complete. The aircon has to happen after the electrics or it can't be commissioned and certified. The ducting has to come in after the electrics so that it can be routed around the conduit, and the machinery can't come in until the ducting is done because it'll be in the way afterwards. By the time you've built a couple of days' leeway into each phase it ends up as several weeks.

The workshop itself is going to take 2-3 days.
    I make this post with some trepidation, being aware of how the Sporky may respond to a perceived thread derailment, but as this is now the workshop thread, I thought I'd brave it and ask the assembled workshopists to give opinion as to why this would not be viable as a workshop.

Because it's looking good to me.

My current workshop is a 10'x10' shed of fairly cheap construction.  I've insulated it and ply-lined it, but it's still a shed.  But we're moving it, and I have no intention of moving the shed, so I need a new one.

This would be substantially bigger at 16'x13', I'd go for 45mm walls (which means the logs are double tongue&grooved, with double glazed windows & doors.  All in, delivered and Vatted it's just under £4k.  The base is ready, willing and able, so I'd just need the power sockets & lighting installing and I'm good to go ...

TTony said:
    I make this post with some trepidation, being aware of how the Sporky may respond to a perceived thread derailment
    How very dare you!

TTony said:
    as this is now the workshop thread
    What-now?

Anyways. Can you go biggerer? And more insulated?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I vote for biggerer as well.
    I could do with more space than I currently have.
    Yes, biggerer is possible, I really just linked to that one as an example of the sort of construction of a possible workshop.  Seemed like 45mm thick walls and double glazing would give reasonable insulation.  I'd probably put something extra on the roof too.  The floor is 28mm thick, but I'd likely add to that, possibly ply-lining and then rubber matting over the top.

I've got a 45' x 20' concrete base to work with.  It's got power, water & waste laid on.  Ideally, it'll house a mower barn, my workshop, and an outside loo.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    The main thing I am missing right now in the workshop is running water.
    It is a bit of a walk to the utility room at the other end of the house, would be helpful if I had it.
    I have no way way to get it in there either.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    @TTony ;Go as big as possible in the space you have. Can you line it with celotex and ply or board it out so the room is warm and retains heat? 

@Sporky great thread. 
    TTony said:
    Yes, biggerer is possible, I really just linked to that one as an example of the sort of construction of a possible workshop.  Seemed like 45mm thick walls and double glazing would give reasonable insulation.  I'd probably put something extra on the roof too.  The floor is 28mm thick, but I'd likely add to that, possibly ply-lining and then rubber matting over the top.
    I don't mean this as Top-Trumpsism, but the floor on mine is going to be about 120mm thick, plus an enclosed air gap underneath. 80mm of composite and celotex underfloor, then a resin bonded wood floor over that with damping between. The roof is 80mm of steel, celotex and Kevlar, and the walls are 100mm - two 25mm wood skins and 50mm of celotex in the middle.

I'd definitely up the thickness of all the walls, floor and ceiling and go multilayer. Cold workshops are miserable.
    Sporky said:
    I don't mean this as Top-Trumpsism, but the floor on mine 
    Henceforth, I shall call you "Donald".
    ;)

That's some serious building spec.  

Mine is more of an occasional-use glorified shed rather than a lair for giving birth to a world domination robot force.  Whilst I'm tempted to go for something similarly bomb-proof, I'm also aware that I'll probably use it infrequently, and would feel a little guilty about over-speccing it.

But what was your budget (excluding the ground works, given that I've already got a suitable base)?