I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then.......

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Inspired by Big John's "fast guitarists..." thread whereby it's clear he is a big Alan Holdsworth fan and yet I stated I've never really "got" him. I then thought back to someone recently saying they didn't get Jeff Beck (I think it was Sticky), who is one of the greatest IMO. So hows about this as a thread:

1. Someone states a well known Guitarist (let's stick to Guitar Players for now rather than artists / bands) that they just really have never understood the love for.

2. Then someone else (hopefully a fan!) posts one YouTube vid, for one song (with a few comments/pointers maybe) that they would pick to sum up what is good about said Guitarist, to convince them otherwise.

3. Commitment from the original "never really got" person is they will listen to the clip in full with an open mind and comment.

Rules: No other people can post alternatives once someone has posted a video, this is in order to avoid a stream of peoples fav Jef Beck/Alan Holdsworth clips coming through etc. Simply move on to the next "never really got...post"

The idea is to enlighten / debate, rather than argue.

Anyone up for this......?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeah I'll start with Nick Drake
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27042
    Good idea (and yep, never got Beck at all on a musical/emotional level). I would post a vid if I had the faintest clue about Nick Drake!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013
    Yeah I'll start with Nick Drake

@maltingsaudio

I'll try that then. No really footage, but this is one of my favorite ND tracks (it was either this or Northern Sky). Focusing on the guitar you'll find his open tunned finger picking that flow through the track, but really it's about how that sits with the string arrangement from Robert Kirby and Peggy's bass. A beautiful piece of music IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze5Bktb2jiQ

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Good idea (and yep, never got Beck at all on a musical/emotional level). I would post a vid if I had the faintest clue about Nick Drake!

Here you go then Sticky, not sure you actually chucked Beck in the ring officially, but you've got it anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I never got Kirk Hammet. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ddlooping said:
    I forgot to say, if nobody rushes to said Guitarists defence, then you receive a wisdom from me for being right in the first place. I've no idea why Kirk Hammet triggered this thought.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

dindude said:
    ddlooping said:
    I forgot to say, if nobody rushes to said Guitarists defence, then you receive a wisdom from me for being right in the first place. I've no idea why Kirk Hammet triggered this thought.
    ;)
    Whoop, whoop! :D
  • @not_the_dj Lovely track thanks for that but very derivative of Richard Thompson et al but have never got what all the fuss is about,him especially as a lot of younger acoustic players I've come across seem to venerate him
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Derivative of RT? They were contemporaries (that track is from his second album released in 1970). He did the whole dying young thing though, so that always helps a career in music (as he sold pretty much nothing during his life time).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27042
    dindude said:

Here you go then Sticky, not sure you actually chucked Beck in the ring officially, but you've got it anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw

Cheers. I've actually watched most of the Ronnie Scott's gig before, and I understand why people love him, but it leaves me cold. There's obviously a phenomenal amount of talent there, but he doesn't use it to play anything I want to listen to. I think the 80's schmaltz-synth doesn't help. Combine with no singer and bass-shred and I'm out!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Yeah, I kinda get that, I sometimes wish Beck had a better vehicle for his playing rather than just the instrumental stuff, but when he plays he owns every note. I think the band at the Ronnie Scott's gig are great, drummer especially.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude;11317" said:
    Yeah, I kinda get that, I sometimes wish Beck had a better vehicle for his playing rather than just the instrumental stuff, but when he plays he owns every note. I think the band at the Ronnie Scott's gig are great, drummer especially.
  • richardhomer;11350" said:
    [quote="dindude;11317"] I think the band at the Ronnie Scott's gig are great, drummer especially.
    [/quote]

Vinnie Coliuta. Genius player....
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Cheers. I've actually watched most of the Ronnie Scott's gig before, and I understand why people love him, but it leaves me cold. There's obviously a phenomenal amount of talent there, but he doesn't use it to play anything I want to listen to. I think the 80's schmaltz-synth doesn't help. Combine with no singer and bass-shred and I'm out!

+1  I always feel I should like Jeff Beck  - the playing is wonderful but it just doesn't move me and I'm really struggling to see how that bass solo fitted the song although I appreciate she is good. 

I think they were just jazzing it up a bit more as it was at Ronnies. I've seen Beck under more normal circumstances and there are def no bass solos!
  • One of the most interesting things about the Ronnie Scott's gig is clocking who's in the audience. I've spotted Page & Plant, Brian May & Mark Knopfler so far....
  •  

ddlooping said:

Kirk Hammett appears to have the guitar playing version of the Benjamin Button syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's very funny, I bet he's just thinking "when can I get on my Wah Wah"
    I've not actually heard much by him, but what I have hasn't really grabbed me. So can someone explain... 

Mark Tremonti
    dindude said:
    ddlooping said:
    ;)
    A video has been posted. :)