I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then.......

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    don't know that exact version, but not a fan at all of that song.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Ok, Small Hours then:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    dindude said:
    Can I add Roy Buchanan. Don't really know any of his stuff, I remember not loving the little that i heard, i remember a scratchy tone and dodgy bends. What am I missing.
    well, no that's probably a fair description but for some of us that's the good stuff. This is from his later recordings, it might be a bit self indulgent/long but is almost a dictionary of his techniques:

and he was a big influence on one of my absolutely favourite guitarists

about whom the scratchy tones and dodgy bends also apply but Roy is okay in my book just for being on Jim's record player.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @EricTheWeary cheers, see I like a bit of Jim C for sure. That Roy though, I understand it a little more now maybe, but part of it sounds like torture, like making me listen to the solo from Sympathy for the Devil in isolation over and over again.....
  • dindude;12380" said:
    Can I add Roy Buchanan. Don't really know any of his stuff, I remember not loving the little that i heard, i remember a scratchy tone and dodgy bends. What am I missing.
    Download 'Livestock' right now and learn all you need to know about how to play a Fender guitar. The man was a genius. A really outstanding talent.
  • VimFuego;12383" said:
    John Martyn. For some reason I've never clicked with his stuff. I love all his contemporaries; bert jansch, ralph mctell and so on.
    Oh dear, Roy Buchanan and John Martyn being dissed tonight. Let me be clear; JM is my favourite musician, so I am extremely partisan.

Try the following albums; Sunday's Child, One World and Grace and Danger. WAY beyond his folky contemporaries, if an imperfect human being....
  • @lixarto & others re Pete Doherty. That's a relief, thought I might have to watch/listen to a vid of his doings.

I'll stick up for John Martyn too, (is mmore than one person allowed to? Personally don't care for May You Never, however, Small Hours is one of his best.
    As someone put it to me once, he could "catch the moment" emotionally. I think his technique is pretty unique & he integrated the EchoPlex & Volume pedal into his playing so they became much more than just effects.
    One world is a great record, but some of the others don't do him justice, he could be spellbinding live.

Here's something a bit more upbeat, a very good version too.

This does have a great chorus/interplay between the two singers:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    @EricTheWeary cheers, see I like a bit of Jim C for sure. That Roy though, I understand it a little more now maybe, but part of it sounds like torture, like making me listen to the solo from Sympathy for the Devil in isolation over and over again.....
    Well, he was one of the guitarists said to have been up to join the Stones ( allegedly he turned them down)so that's probably not far off. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited August 2013
    I also like the interplay between the intro guitars, loose as fuck but it does the job.

Edit: Referring to the libertines track.

edited August 2013
    Did I just get face palmed for posting the libertines track? Was that you @lixarto? ;-)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    Did I just get face palmed for posting the libertines track? Was that you @lixarto? ;-)
    The second one was me :D
    you got 2 for that? Nasty  :o3   ( what do half these bloody emoticon things mean?)
    tFB Trader
    That Roy Buchanan track was horrific, but Jim C is the nuts. 

Quite liked the Richie Kotzen track, but I won't be rushing out to buy it.
    edited August 2013
    That Roy Buchanan track was horrific

but this is a thread in which we had Alter Bridge, if anything so far deserves the word horrific it would be that tedious twaddle surely? ( lets have another go at one of the weird smiley doobries, hopefully one expressing some sort of confusion)     

<:-P
    tFB Trader
    but this is a thread in which we had Alter Bridge, if anything so far deserves the word horrific it would be that tedious twaddle surely? ( lets have another go at one of the weird smiley doobries, hopefully one expressing some sort of confusion)     

I had the good sense not to listen to the Alter Bridge track. It would have had to try pretty hard to be worse than those out of tune bends. 

I had the good sense not to listen to the Alter Bridge track. It would have had to try pretty hard to be worse than those out of tune bends. 
    I couldn't make it through the whole AB tune, I'm pretty sure it was in tune and competently played but lacking in any other merit. Still, what do I know about the young people's music, I've just been posting Doris Day songs on another discussion. 
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Plenty of Faceplaming for the rule breakers. :D
    I think he meant the bends in the libertines track.
    edited August 2013
    ddlooping said:
    Plenty of Faceplaming for the rule breakers. :D

And some totally unjustified ones! Unless I've missed it no one had posted a libertines track yet so I thought I would, and now look at the trouble it's caused!

PS anyone notice a second John Martyn clip up there?