I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then.......

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    Not sure if he's been mentioned already, but can someone try to get me into Frank Zappa?

He seemed like a cool guy and I've tried listening to his stuff, and I want to like it, but what I've heard (Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, which seems to be well-liked) just sounds like weird, boring bollocks to me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I definitely went through a Zappa period. And then one day I woke up and started listening to old blues records instead and have never really gone back. I think, oddly enough, the way to approach Zappa is not to listen to Frank but Dweezil. Dig out some of his Zappa Plays Zappa stuff ( there were dvds but I suspect much of it is on youtube). I think the more modern film and sound production, slightly less extreme guitar sounds, almost a best of approach to the set list and far less silly clothing ( and cameos from the likes of Steve Vai) make it much more approachable. If there is anything from that you like use that as a reference to work backwards. My favourite Zappa stuff is really his 80's output with an emphasis on humour and Scott Thunes funky bass lines. I doubt if many Zappa fans see this as his classic period at all but it was what I was listening to when I should have been out clubbing and dancing to Duran Duran ( vaguely ironic then that one of Frank's band ended up joining Duran Duran - even they must have thought they spent the 80's doing the wrong thing).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    edited August 2013
    ( vaguely ironic then that one of Frank's band ended up joining Duran Duran - even they must have thought they spent the 80's doing the wrong thing).
    By their own admission becoming obscenely rich, snorting the annual product of Colombia and fending off entire armies of groupies?

Nah... :)

I always liked Duran Duran, both the original line-up and the Warren Cuccurullo period. Great songs, great fun and made you popular with girls, what's not to like? ;)

I didn't like the way they unceremoniously dumped Cuccurullo when a sniff of money (they'd spent it all by then) to reform the original line-up came along though. As he pointed out, he'd been in the band far longer than Andy Taylor by then.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaveRave Frets: 268
    Bucket said:
    Not sure if he's been mentioned already, but can someone try to get me into Frank Zappa?

He seemed like a cool guy and I've tried listening to his stuff, and I want to like it, but what I've heard (Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, which seems to be well-liked) just sounds like weird, boring bollocks to me.
    Frank Zappa, boring? Anything but..

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    ICBM;17819" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

( vaguely ironic then that one of Frank's band ended up joining Duran Duran - even they must have thought they spent the 80's doing the wrong thing).

By their own admission becoming obscenely rich, snorting the annual product of Colombia and fending off entire armies of groupies?

Nah... :)

I meant Cuccorullo must have regretted being in Zappa's band being told not to take drugs when he could have been snorting cocaine off the thighs of super models if he'd got into the Durans earlier. I think I must be the only person over 40 in the west midlands who doesn't claim to have seen Duran Duran in the Rum Runner before they were famous.I was sat in my bedroom trying to decipher the meaning of Joes Garage.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    @Rave

Thanks for showing me that, it was a little more palatable than what I've heard of Zappa before. I liked the music but wasn't so keen on the solo - when I said it was "weird boring bollocks" I was talking more about his playing than the music. The solos just seem to meander around and never really do anything particularly interesting IMO.

The song was kind of cool though - and I do have a great deal of respect for the experimental angle he took. Just not into the music.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • The problem with Zappa is it's really easy to get caught up in the wackiness and forget just what a phenomenal guitarist Frank was.  Put aside all you have heard about or previous judgements of Zappa sound and listen to Sexual Harassment In The Workplace - as a melodic instrumental piece he shows every bit of emotional and control you expect from modern-day Jeff Beck.  Obviously I cannot post a video as it's against the rules, but check it out.  Whether you get the whole Zappa thing or not, it's great to see what talent he had in his armoury and perhaps didn't use often enough. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom