I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then.......

What's Hot

Comments

• birdo;13958" said:
    Convince me, John mayer . I just don't get it . I ve only heard a few songs but they all sound like the soundtrack to an American rom com.
    Nothing to convince you of. He's deadly dull and derivative... And annoying...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    How about this John Mayer song then (again I'm concentrating on songs as a whole here rather than chops). 

There's no official video for the song, but I quite like this that someone with a lot of time on there hands put together. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    I won't post a vid because it's forbidden, but the John Mayer Trio stuff is the thing to listen to if you want to hear what his guitar playing is about. 
    Even if you hate it you can enjoy listening to Pino. 
    I won't post a vid because it's forbidden, but the John Mayer Trio stuff is the thing to listen to if you want to hear what his guitar playing is about. 
    I was going to post Vultures from the Where the Light is DVD...but he does a few annoying looks and head nods that wouldn't have helped fight his corner. 
  • monquixote;13968" said:
    Pino's great. Wonderful player...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    birdo;13958" said:
    Convince me, John mayer . I just don't get it . I ve only heard a few songs but they all sound like the soundtrack to an American rom com.
    the first time I remember hearing him was when they played Gravity, at length, on House, not maybe a romcom but close!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27048
    I was going to post Vultures from the Where the Light is DVD...but he does a few annoying looks and head nods that wouldn't have helped fight his corner. 
    I'd go for Slow Dancing from the same DVD myself. In any case he has enoguh breadth of material that almost anyone should be able to find something they like in there, as long as they're after good songwriting first and foremost. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Well I'm a John Martyn fan .. the guy lived on the edge and in the end life caught up with him .. saw him live loads of times. His humour and couldn't give a f**k attitude always shone through ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Slow dancing , is possibly the one I might come round to but to be honest I think it starts well and then goes down hill.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Oasis. Just don't get them at all. Utter drivel....

There thats me facepalmed. Don't care.!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm, I'm tempted to jump I here, but I clearly got the wrong clip with John Mayer...so I'll leave it for someone else this time. 

Personally I didn't get Oasis when they hit it big (Liam's attitude put me off them completely). Later I started to get Noel's songwriting and in hindsight they had some decent tunes. 

So if I was to post something it might be The Masterplan...but I'm not going to. 
  • not_the_dj;14542" said:
    Liam's attitude put me off them completely 
    I met someone who has toured extensively with both Oasis and Beady Eye. According to him Liam's great-nothing like his early public persona....
    Oh go on then...I'll post it...personally I think this is brilliant. Nice chord progression, the strings are ace (a little Beatley of course) and the tremolo bit at the end is great. Superb chorus as well. It was a B side originaly BTW
    not_the_dj;14542" said:
    Liam's attitude put me off them completely 
    I met someone who has toured extensively with both Oasis and Beady Eye. According to him Liam's great-nothing like his early public persona....

So he was intentionally coming across as an arrogant cock then?
  • not_the_dj;14567" said:
    So he was intentionally coming across as an arrogant cock then?
    Very possibly.... I also know someone who saw him come through Alicante airport and he apparently happily posed for every photo and signed loads of autographs.

I agree that both Gallaghers have often come across in an unfavourable light. I'm not a massive fan but as a fellow Mancunian I have a certain affection for them.....
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Dudeiferous (Carl) late of MR, met Liam. Apparently he was a perfect gent and bought lots of people lots of drinks.

Carl is also a perfect gent :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    edited August 2013
    Michael Landau

Just awful. Everyone says "oh, if you don't like him for what he plays on all those commercial pop records, have a listen to his own stuff or when he's allowed a bit of free rein, he's great. And he's the king of tone."

Well it's *much* worse. I have no idea why people seem to worship his playing or his horrible sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078

Muse. There, I've said it.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    mudslide73;14937" said:
    Muse. There, I've said it.
    I tended to consider them as (to quote Alan Partridge) 'just noise', until I saw them on TV about two years ago. It was a performance from one of the festivals (I can't remember which one). They were stunning.

I still don't think I'd want to listen to them when I'm doing the ironing though...
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    IanSavage;12119" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

If anyone wants to post a Mark Knopfler track that doesn't want to make me poke myself in the eye with a broken biro I will give it a go. I get that he is a distinctive and skilled guitarist and have watched documentaries about him, read the Guitarist interviews,etc, but the songs are so bloody lifeless.

I will grant Money for Nothing as a truly great guitar riff but it is attached to a horrible production and a hateful lyric.

If anyone is up to the challenge I shall check back in later ( insert smiley, as I haven't found out where they are yet and hate change).

You CAN'T not like this song, it's physically impossible. 

got a not available for mobile message on the link but found another version, which I'm assuming is pretty much the same. I didn't hate it but my first thought is that there is a good 3 minute song in there stretched out by some moody bollocks. I will come back to it and see if it grows on me.

I loved the beginning, but then they ruined it...  Started off with that bluegrass-y, Kentucky Mountain ballad vibe, then morphed into something completely different.  Bollocks!  ( and yes, I AM a Southern music fanboy, thankyouverymuch)