I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then.......

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    @not_the_dj Lovely track thanks for that but very derivative of Richard Thompson et al but have never got what all the fuss is about,him especially as a lot of younger acoustic players I've come across seem to venerate him
    Interesting tunings and interesting time signatures and singing in a very English way which was rare at the time. It's about the songwriting and great arrangements as much as the guitar playing.
    Also I think dying young and being discovered later helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've not actually heard much by him, but what I have hasn't really grabbed me. So can someone explain... 

Mark Tremonti
    Try the solo at 5:15:

He's technically superb, but actually writes solos that are much more heartfelt and emotionally-charged than you often hear from "shredders"... the way he opens the solo with a series of big bends but keeps the energy going throughout, building to even more of a climax, makes it a very exciting solo IMO.

And @stickyfiddle - have a listen to this:

I just think it's great, particularly as he climbs the fretboard. The last minute or so really is fantastic. His tone and vibrato are among the most awesome I've ever heard... and his control of the guitar is breathtaking, the way he is so skilful at varying his touch, manipulating the trem and volume control and so on... 
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    @Bucket
    dindude said:

Rules: No other people can post alternatives once someone has posted a video, this is in order to avoid a stream of peoples fav Jef Beck/Alan Holdsworth clips coming through etc.

You've been Facepalmed. :P
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    ddlooping said:
    dindude said:
    ddlooping said:
    I never got Kirk Hammet. :)
    I forgot to say, if nobody rushes to said Guitarists defence, then you receive a wisdom from me for being right in the first place. I've no idea why Kirk Hammet triggered this thought.
    ;)
    A video has been posted. :)

Yes and I hope it convinced you to take Kirk a little more seriously :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    @Bucket

Nessun Dorma needs words (and frankly, Pavarotti singing them!). Again, Beck's total control of the instrument of astonishing, but the material just doesn't work imo. Put him in a proper band with a singer and I'd be interested.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    @Bucket

Nessun Dorma needs words (and frankly, Pavarotti singing them!). Again, Beck's total control of the instrument of astonishing, but the material just doesn't work imo. Put him in a proper band with a singer and I'd be interested.

@stickyfiddle you need to listen to the early Jeff Beck Group then. He had some chap called Rod singing with him, and quite possibly gave a few ideas to the Page bloke who was just starting to inflate his zeppelin.
    tFB Trader
    @stickyfiddle you need to listen to the early Jeff Beck Group then. He had some chap called Rod singing with him, and quite possibly gave a few ideas to the Page bloke who was just starting to inflate his zeppelin.
    Inded "Truth" is the album for people who don't "get" Beck. Though he is a totally differnt beast in those days and without being told I'm not sure you would know it was the same guy playing. 
    There is a lot of cross pollination with early Zep, but the "Page stole all his ideas from Beck" claims are total balls.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I too was interested in Tremonti - I quite like that solo @Bucket, but I couldn't get into the music.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bucket said:
    I've not actually heard much by him, but what I have hasn't really grabbed me. So can someone explain... 

Mark Tremonti
    Try the solo at 5:15:

He's technically superb, but actually writes solos that are much more heartfelt and emotionally-charged than you often hear from "shredders"... the way he opens the solo with a series of big bends but keeps the energy going throughout, building to even more of a climax, makes it a very exciting solo IMO.

@Bucket

I've given that a good listen. To me the short solo directly before the 5:15 one (starting at 4:37) grabs me more. Much more melodic (and I prefer the tone). I'm guessing that's not Tremonti. The singer plays as well doesn't he, is that him? Shame I don't like his voice that much!

My favorite part in the whole song is actually the breakdown between 3:22 and 4:00 (although that bass run at the end of that section really reminds me of a run Pete Trewavas does in a Marillion song, just can't place which one...it'll come to me in a while I'm sure 

@Bucket

I've given that a good listen. To me the short solo directly before the 5:15 one (starting at 4:37) grabs me more. Much more melodic (and I prefer the tone). I'm guessing that's not Tremonti. The singer plays as well doesn't he, is that him? Shame I don't like his voice that much!

My favorite part in the whole song is actually the breakdown between 3:22 and 4:00 (although that bass run at the end of that section really reminds me of a run Pete Trewavas does in a Marillion song, just can't place which one...it'll come to me in a while I'm sure 

Yes, that first solo is Myles Kennedy - also really good. Mark's solo is a little more flamboyant, which is usually what grabs me!
  • Pete Doherty...
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Pete Doherty...
    Don't bother - he is without merit, believe me.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Pete Doherty...
    Would only play 1960's or earlier guitars and would smash them up when he was bored of them. 

I'd never get tired of punching him in the face. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    monquixote said: I'd never get tired of punching him in the face. 
    Do you mind? There's a queue ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    If anyone wants to post a Mark Knopfler track that doesn't want to make me poke myself in the eye with a broken biro I will give it a go. I get that he is a distinctive and skilled guitarist and have watched documentaries about him, read the Guitarist interviews,etc, but the songs are so bloody lifeless. I will grant Money for Nothing as a truly great guitar riff but it is attached to a horrible production and a hateful lyric. If anyone is up to the challenge I shall check back in later ( insert smiley, as I haven't found out where they are yet and hate change).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    If anyone wants to post a Mark Knopfler track that doesn't want to make me poke myself in the eye with a broken biro I will give it a go. I get that he is a distinctive and skilled guitarist and have watched documentaries about him, read the Guitarist interviews,etc, but the songs are so bloody lifeless. I will grant Money for Nothing as a truly great guitar riff but it is attached to a horrible production and a hateful lyric. If anyone is up to the challenge I shall check back in later ( insert smiley, as I haven't found out where they are yet and hate change).
    You CAN'T not like this song, it's physically impossible. 

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

I've always though this made Mark Knopfler a passable budget range Gilmour.  Not phenomenal but certainly not as grating as his contrived Chet Atkins tribute. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb_Jzgnrpv8

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Lixarto said:
    monquixote said: I'd never get tired of punching him in the face. 
    Do you mind? There's a queue ;)
    When a man is tired of hitting Pete Doherty in the face with a large wrench, he is tired of life.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    @randomhandclaps, you broke the rule. :P
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

Blah!!!!!  Kid's distracted me and I spent an age typing.  I shall repent.

Knopfler certainly didn't deserve two videos.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.