Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FIFA and Poppygate

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30951

I'm not a footballist by any means but FIFA are, to coin a phrase, well out of order on Poppygate.

I hope the players make a stand.

It's not political- it's about honouring those that fought.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It amazes me that common sense does not prevail immediately. But then FIFA is staffed by people who have lots of experience of officiousness. This "discussion" is employing a team of people for a week. There is much coffee to be drunk, many croissants to be dunked.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Presumably the Royal British Legion doesn't give out brown envelopes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FIFA doesn't allow political or religious symbols on kits ( although there must be some club badges that are?). However, they've allowed poppies on arm bands before so the precedent for what to do here is clear.

I don't really understand what FIFA do all day but they must be aware that they need to improve their PR a great deal and that nonsense like this isn't helping.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    The poppy is not a political or religious symbol.

It's particularly appropriate in an England-Scotland match too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_F.C._and_World_War_I

There were some English teams who also signed up en masse, or close to it, as well I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I actually agree with FIFA's stance on this. Allowing poppies on the shirt risks opening a very big bag of worms regardless of how "common sense" we in the UK might think it.

The Poppy is in danger of becoming an obsession with image rather than what it should be, an act of remembrance. We're at the point where TV presenters get hounded if they're not wearing one 24/7 for a week either side of the 11th, its getting ridiculous---being seen wearing one is now more important than the actual remembrance part.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually agree with FIFA's stance on this. Allowing poppies on the shirt risks opening a very big bag of worms regardless of how "common sense" we in the UK might think it.

The Poppy is in danger of becoming an obsession with image rather than what it should be, an act of remembrance. We're at the point where TV presenters get hounded if they're not wearing one 24/7 for a week either side of the 11th, its getting ridiculous---being seen wearing one is now more important than the actual remembrance part.

This.

James McClean gets a lot of stick for not wearing a poppy but his reasons for that are sound enough, given his feelings on Bloody Sunday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    And let's not forget the issue with James Mclean... that was a shitstorm and a half
  • joeyowen said:
    And let's not forget the issue with James Mclean... that was a shitstorm and a half
    Happens every year now, and the tabloid circus is still just as tedious.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    At least we can rely on The Sun and Daily Mail to remain unbias, tactful and generally not hate preaching

ohhhh waiiiittttt
  • I wear a purple poppy, and have been oven crap for wearing it. 

Except I haven't read anywhere that FIFA have these same reasonable thoughts, so not really their "stance" as such. Isn't FIFA pretty much all about image? I won't wear one, just the same as I won't super-impose a cocking French flag on my Facebook profile picture or cure cancer by posting a black and white photo of some shit. I think an armband should be available to wear though, for those that want to. It's not really an FA, SFA or team decision.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    I think on balance (and it's close) I agree with the ban.

It reminds me a little of some facebook groups I'm a member of - the adverts for the "buy this to support AMERICAN workers, or AMERICAN veterans" etc with zero thought that the group is truly international and contains members from everywhere.

There is a danger to come across as "we are better than you"

There is enough nasty nationalistic bullshit in football already and I'm not convinced showing the poppies during a form of entertainment helps anything.

It smacks a bit of "oo look at me, aren't I good for wearing one" - If they want to wear a poppy on their own clothes or attend a remembrance event without a press conference then they can do that.

If the players / teams / controlling bodies want to do something specific then they could change the nature of the games on remembrance weekend and make then openly charity events where all profits get donated.

I won't hold my breath.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

It reminds me a little of some facebook groups I'm a member of - the adverts for the "buy this to support AMERICAN workers, or AMERICAN veterans" etc with zero thought that the group is truly international and contains members from everywhere.

There is enough nasty nationalistic bullshit in football already and I'm not convinced showing the poppies during a form of entertainment helps anything.

It smacks a bit of "oo look at me, aren't I good for wearing one" - If they want to wear a poppy on their own clothes or attend a remembrance event without a press conference then they can do that.

If the players / teams / controlling bodies want to do something specific then they could change the nature of the games on remembrance weekend and make then openly charity events where all profits get donated.

I won't hold my breath.
    Good post @fretmeister .. sums up my view.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    If FIFA don't want political stuff at games then they need to do away with national anthems as well.

They also need to ban heads of state from attending games and sitting in the VIP boxes etc.

They are complete hypocrites - on top of all the other corruption etc.

I just can't be bothered with football any more.  I haven't even checked my fantasy team the last 2 weeks.  I ought to keep up with that at least for office bragging rights.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Im sure if the players feel strongly enough about it they will do something; have a poppy sewn into their boots or have one on a vest under their shirt ready to show off if they score etc.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Just have a one minutes silence to remember that fallen on both sides. That's showing respect.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    'm just looking forward to some idiot journo asking an Argentinian or German why they aren't wearing a poppy.
  • Fretwired said:
    Just have a one minutes silence to remember that fallen on both sides. That's showing respect.
    100% agree.

Except I haven't read anywhere that FIFA have these same reasonable thoughts, so not really their "stance" as such. Isn't FIFA pretty much all about image?

The second paragraph was clearly my own opinion, not FIFA's.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    Fretwired said:

I won't hold my breath.
    Good post @fretmeister .. sums up my view.
    All I would say in return is that it also covers (in my opinion) the Polish, Russians, Keewees, Aussies, Indians etc that served....so I don't see it as overly nationalistic.

And, I would also suggest there's a disparity between nationalisitc pride and passion and nationalism as a racist mechanism- although I'm not blind to the thrust of your point.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom