Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FIFA and Poppygate

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:

All I would say in return is that it also covers (in my opinion) the Polish, Russians, Keewees, Aussies, Indians etc that served....so I don't see it as overly nationalistic.
    But is doesn't. The Poppy Appeal aims to raise money for the Royal British Legion - I have no problem with this and I always contribute as it is a good cause, but I don't think it has a place at an international football match. Football, and sport in general, should be inclusive and about bringing people of all nationalities and faiths together.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    Fretwired said:
    But is doesn't. The Poppy Appeal aims to raise money for the Royal British Legion - I have no problem with this and I always contribute as it is a good cause, but I don't think it has a place at an international football match. Football, and sport in general, should be inclusive and about bringing people of all nationalities and faiths together.
    OK, agreed, but I certainly don't limit my thoughts/respects to them alone.

Re football, I would also say I don't count it as a proper sport from an ethical behaviour perspective. Rugby, Cricket, Golf (outside US) etc all have the right approach. Soccer does not.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The poppy is not a political or religious symbol.

It's particularly appropriate in an England-Scotland match too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_F.C._and_World_War_I

There were some English teams who also signed up en masse, or close to it, as well I think.
    The poppy is 100% political. I refuse to wear one for as long as they lump the murderous Blairite warmongering illegal invaders in with the people who fought to DEFEND the borders of this country (last seen in the Falklands, never since).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Well that escalated quickly...

FIFA have rightly said that the pre-match commemorations can go ahead as planned and the players are welcome to wear armbands with poppies on, they just can't be stitched into the shirt.

I really don't see how this much fuss has been created over stitching.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpttaylor said:
    Well that escalated quickly...

FIFA have rightly said that the pre-match commemorations can go ahead as planned and the players are welcome to wear armbands with poppies on, they just can't be stitched into the shirt.

I really don't see how this much fuss has been created over stitching.
    You've never seen my wife in full-tilt quilt mode.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

It's not political- it's about honouring those that fought.

But only those on one side. Which kinda makes it political.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • The poppy should not be anywhere near international sport. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Re football, I would also say I don't count it as a proper sport from an ethical behaviour perspective. Rugby, Cricket, Golf (outside US) etc all have the right approach. Soccer does not.
    Any particular reasons for this perspective? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    MattBanshee said:

The poppy is 100% political. I refuse to wear one for as long as they lump the murderous Blairite warmongering illegal invaders in with the people who fought to DEFEND the borders of this country (last seen in the Falklands, never since).
    Are you seriously suggesting that the British servicemen who fought in Iraq were responsible for starting the war?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    Gassage said:
    He doesn't like football?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    CHRISB50 said:
    Gassage said:

And like most people that don't like a particular sport, it gets dismissed.

Now then...Dressage...THAT is a sport!

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    MattBanshee said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the British servicemen who fought in Iraq were responsible for starting the war?
    Not sure what he's suggesting but we do live in a multicultural society and many Muslims are very sensitive about our part in the wars in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan. Post 1945 we also have issues with Palestine, Suez and the Mau, Mau uprising in Kenya which was not our finest hour.  We need to be careful what wearing a Poppy comes to symbolise as the last of the WW2 veterans die.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Gassage said:
    Fretwired said:
    OK, agreed, but I certainly don't limit my thoughts/respects to them alone.

Yeah, maybe football should be more like Rugby, where there has never been institutionalised cheating or disgusting and cowardly attacks on the opposition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/european-rugby/11276718/Bloodgate-How-the-scandal-unfolded-when-Harlequins-met-Leinster-in-April-2009.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-gouging_(rugby_union)#High-profile_cases

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/watch-wigans-ben-flower-punch-4422159

Christ, the England Rugby captain has served a full year's worth of bans ffs.

This "holier than thou" bollocks from Rugby fans is hilarious. Their sport is utterly filthy. Which is fine, except they all seem to get a hypocritical hard-on pretending it isn't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11354
    A few random thoughts:

1) It's a FIFA-sanctioned competition. FIFA have their rules, and this one was known before the competition commenced. Now, FIFA may well be an organisation of dubious moral probity and of even more dubious financial probity, but that's not exactly news. When you sup with the devil you may have to end up doing things you would rather not. We could have opted not to enter the competition, rather then enter it knowing the rules and attempting to circumvent them having entered.

2) Why are poppies appearing on shirts now (or in very recent years)? Why were they not features of shirts many years ago when significant numbers of fans would have had immediate family who lost their lives in wars, and when the players themselves may have served in the forces compulsorily? It was never considered when I watched football forty years ago. You might have had a wreath-laying ceremony.

3) If the poppy is that important, make sure that every seat has a large poppy flag on it for fans to hold during the pre-match silence.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The poppy is too "are boys r heros" Britain First brigade for my liking these days.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    holnrew said:
    The poppy is too "are boys r heros" Britain First brigade for my liking these days.
    You're in the minority thankfully.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's all about show these days. My boss has a great line: "We have to be seen to be doing something". What I get from that is that we don't actually have to do anything, just be seen to be doing something. Very complicated. Why can't we just do something?

Why can't I just remember? No, you have to be seen to be remembering. Why can't I sympathise/empathise with the victims of the latest atrocity and their families? No, you have to be seen to be doing it! V. important. Not sure why though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    The PM is now sticking her oar in.

I am now more convinced than ever that FIFA are correct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    I just thought of a solution.

If a player can correctly identify the dates of the World Wars without google then they can wear one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikko said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Gassage said:

And like most people that don't like a particular sport, it gets dismissed.

Now then...Dressage...THAT is a sport!

Any activity that places posh girls in jodhpurs gets my vote. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom