Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The New Breed of Guitar Dealers - Do They Really Think Guitar Buyers Are That Stupid?

What's Hot

Comments

• What are the tax rules on private selling ? Is it based on a turnover figure per year ?

You pay 20% Capital Gains Tax on any individual item over £6000.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    My problem with these guys is that they're artificially inflating the prices of used gear enough to skew people's views on pricing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    Sassafras said:
    My problem with these guys is that they're artificially inflating the prices of used gear enough to skew people's views on pricing.
    Yes, agreed.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    What are the tax rules on private selling ? Is it based on a turnover figure per year ?

If you exceed your personal allowance per year of course... Which is £10k or so I think..
  • Businesses generally don't pay capital gains on stock that they sell, they will pay tax based on the profits of the sale. It's pretty hard to pin down what tax a 'trader' should pay as there a several legitimate ways a trader can organise their business, each of which attracts a different tax treatment.

The obvious threshold is the turnover threshold whereby every business no matter how it's organised is required to register for VAT. This is currently £81k. However this isn't a definitive test as to if someone is a trader just a size ofor business that has to register for VAT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Here's Rolly's Guitars. They sell under  a private ebay account thus avoiding the fees that ebay would charge for a 'shop' and also avoiding not having to accept returns etc. Nice one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-PRS-Custom-24-Experience-Limited-Edition-Artist-Grade-Top-DEMO-VIDEO-/282264846534?hash=item41b84bc0c6:g:socAAOSwImRYNEty

http://www.rollysguitars.co.uk/category/electric-guitars/paul-reed-smith-prs/
    Ah dear old Rolly, he tried to low ball me on here on a Matchless head I had for sale - I laughed him out of my inbox! Is he still lurking??

**Edit** Nope, he was banned. Gooooo on the mods! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    edited November 2016
    CloudNine said:
    Imo gas isn't buying n selling ( that to some degree is dealing ). 
    Gas is when ur accumulating lots of gear but not really a collector n never really get rid of anything.

Disagree. GAS is just the desire for the next aquisition. Whether that be by selling one to fund the next one, or whatever. It's the desire for the new, grass is greener etc. It's nothing to do with accumulating gear. If you own 1 guitar, but are changing it every few weeks, you are probably suffering from GAS issues.
    you disagree that's fine with me. it's only my opinion. 
    You're wrong. Cloudnine has nailed it there. That's what GAS is.

you obviously know more that me.
    I would say if someone repeatedly buys a guitar n the clais they has gas n need to sell quickly to buy another one could actually look like a bedroom dealers.
    I'm sure the taxman would disagree with you. 
    call it whatever you want but if your buying n selling a lot ur close to been a bedroom dealer. 

but anyway what do I know.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    That Rolly bloke's recorded an album. =)
    I hope it's more exciting than his boring guitar demos.

• What are the tax rules on private selling ? Is it based on a turnover figure per year ?
    it's a grey area.
    if your buying and selling a lot I'm sure you should really been registered n doing a self assessment regardless of profit.

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    edited November 2016
    I would say if someone repeatedly buys a guitar n then claims they have gas n need to sell quickly to buy another one could actually look like a bedroom dealers. but anyway what do I know.

I don't even know what that is supposed to say mate.
    bloody trying to type on my phone. ha ha 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    tFB Trader
    Tax as we know creates many grey areas

If I buy a car for 10K and sell for 11K and stay within my personal allowance, on a one off transaction, I will pay no additional tax - so I'm led to believe

However if I buy a guitar, out of my own personal income and pay say 5K and sell for 6K, it is seen as tax avoidance as the business should have purchased it - I'm not meant to use my personal knowledge to enrich my personal income that competes against my business

As a 'legit' business that pays the appropriate tax etc, it does bug me that many 'bedroom dealers' pay little or no tax - I can't complain about any legit competition - But to compete against 'bedroom dealers' who pay no vat or corporation tax does go against the grain - With that in mind, I'm actually surprised our beloved government has not instigated a tax levy, say 5% on all e-bay sales at the point of the actual transaction, unless the seller provides vat and/or registered business details - Considering the sheer sales volume of e-bay, hence a serious amount of 'grey economy'  - Easy to administer as E-bay become the tax collector at the point of sale, like I collect vat for the government (a service I've never been paid for)

Further more, as many of you know, I exhibit at many guitar shows and what bugs me is when a 'bedroom dealer/exhibitor' asks me for a discount on a guitar that he wants to buy for 'his business', based on 'I'm one of you' or ' I'm in the trade as well' - sure you are
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

If you exceed your personal allowance per year of course... Which is £10k or so I think..
    Forgive me if I'm being thick here. 20% capital gains on a transaction over £6k. So seven transactions at £1k each wouldn't attract the tax ? That cant be right ?
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Let's hope they all reading this and go have a look at themselves in the mirror. It's the sob stories that annoy me. Trying to get it rock bottom by pleading poverty to make a few quid! Doesn't seem worth the effort. Agree its knocking up the perceived value of guitars too. Obviously you pay a premium to buy a guitar from a dealer as they have overheads to pay. You've just got to accept that and suck it up. But private individuals asking dealer prices having bought them to flip grinds on me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Forgive me if I'm being thick here. 20% capital gains on a transaction over £6k. So seven transactions at £1k each wouldn't attract the tax ? That cant be right ?

-------------------------------------------------------------
    That's just for Personal possessions. I think past a certain point you should register as a business. 

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax-personal-possessions/what-you-pay-it-on

You could even argue that a Guitar has a limited lifespan and pay nothing. 

That's not how it works.

... and bear in mind that individuals have an annual exempt amount of £11,100.

See https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/overview for more info. 

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)

That's not how it works.

... and bear in mind that individuals have an annual exempt amount of £11,100.

See https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/overview for more info. 

That's defintely a little clearer now.
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    This was announced in today's budget..
    The government is introducing a new tax relief to help those who buy and sell on a small scale, such as on internet auction sites or at car boot sales. From April 2017, the first £1,000 a year of income will not be taxable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I must admit I'm with impmann on this - on here (and MR before) there used to almost be a pride in keeping good deals within the forum and I can think of plenty of people who have bought and sold things well below market rate (@impmann @meltedbuzzbox @blueskunk @DrBob @Iamnobody @stickyfiddle @guitargeek62 ;@johnnyburgo @AlexHunter @BowynMadley ;) and they are off the top of my head that I've been involved with, just because it was the right thing to do. 
    It still happens - look at the 2015 Gibsons that went back up at Black Friday Amazon prices - but not so much now, and I think it is a real shame, we lost something there chaps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom