Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The New Breed of Guitar Dealers - Do They Really Think Guitar Buyers Are That Stupid?

What's Hot

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    No. A bedroom dealer buys guitars to flip. Have no contribution to test of forum. Give sob tales to try and get gear for peanuts then list them straight away at considerably more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Good stuff , glad to hear it. This place has 'enabled me' and has caused many a crossed word at home but things usually settle down once I've got a few buckets of red wine down her.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ha ha yeah I know that situation well. I always claim I'm not wasting money- I'm making investments. Have a friend who every time he buys something  new,  he has to buy his wife something of the same value jewellery wise! Whipped ha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    robgilmo said:
    ...I made a very good offer on a Vox amp the other day, more than they usually sell for, I was told by the seller that they would rather take it to the council tip than let it go for that, madness.
    Wow, you should have asked them how they were going to find their way to the council tip with their head up their anus? =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just stumbled across the topic and felt compelled to contribute. That Greenwoods chap bought a rare Ibanez Universe at a Guitar Auction for £1,650..... then listed it on his website days later for £3,500. I get he's completely 'allowed' to do what he wants, but it still stinks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    edited February 2017
    pretty much what @DrCornelius said, i have bought and sold far too many guitars in the last 2 years, but some have stuck and some havent, im down as well in money spent BUT i have " rented" some guitars for a bit and realised what i like and more importantly what i dont like. Am i a bedroom dealer? nah am i fuck, just a bloke who likes trying different guitars. i have 2 that i would never sell now, and that has come around from buying and selling second hand, trying different guitars and having fun with them, but thankfully our lass has set a limit as to how many guitars are in the house at any one time, so if i see something i want, something has to go to make space for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pretty much what @DrCornelius said, i have bought and sold far too many guitars in the last 2 years, but some have stuck and some havent, im down as well in money spent BUT i have " rented" some guitars for a bit and realised what i like and more importantly what i dont like. Am i a bedroom dealer? nah am i fuck, just a bloke who likes trying different guitars. i have 2 that i would never sell now, and that has come around from buying and selling second hand, trying different guitars and having fun with them, but thankfully our lass has set a limit as to how many guitars are in the house at any one time, so if i see something i want, something has to go to make space for it. 
    You've just gotten bit by the illness. Ha ha ha.
  • The Greenwood chap bought my old 57 custom shop reissue LPJ last year . I bought it from dudu and stupidly sold it. I paid £1250 and advertised back on here for £1250 (if I remember rightly)At the same time stuck it on eBay for £1500 . The greenwood chap contacted me via eBay and paid me £1200 cash I think and within about 2 days it was back on eBay at £1999.  

I can't be angry at the chap because he was easy to deal with, straight to the point and paid me almost what I wanted. I would have much preferred to sell it here but c'est la vie. About 3 months later there was a feeding frenzy on here for the LPJ RIs and lots of people wanted them and a few mentioned 'the one on here a few months back for £1250' and were kicking themselves , it's all about timing !

I suppose what I'm getting at is if someone is regularly flipping for profit and not giving you a sob story then I'm cool with that , it adds liquidity to the market and means you will nearly always find a price for something you need to sell . Selling my LPJ to greenwood meant I bought something else I preferred and I've a feeling he's still got my LPJ there at that price !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7331
    Just stumbled across the topic and felt compelled to contribute. That Greenwoods chap bought a rare Ibanez Universe at a Guitar Auction for £1,650..... then listed it on his website days later for £3,500. I get he's completely 'allowed' to do what he wants, but it still stinks.
    In what way does it stink? I would completely agree that it stank if he'd pressured some private seller in to a low price and then immediately doubled it, but in this situation good for him.
    He took part in the auction and managed to get it for a decent price, then looking at his website it seems to have sold at more than double that price to someone who was willing to pay it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    DefaultM said:
    Just stumbled across the topic and felt compelled to contribute. That Greenwoods chap bought a rare Ibanez Universe at a Guitar Auction for £1,650..... then listed it on his website days later for £3,500. I get he's completely 'allowed' to do what he wants, but it still stinks.
    In what way does it stink? I would completely agree that it stank if he'd pressured some private seller in to a low price and then immediately doubled it, but in this situation good for him.
    He took part in the auction and managed to get it for a decent price, then looking at his website it seems to have sold at more than double that price to someone who was willing to pay it.
    Yep, its how business works.

Any second hand dealer, whether guitar, antique, watch or whatever will expect to double their money on resale. Dependent of course on purchase price.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Neil said:
    DefaultM said:

Any second hand dealer, whether guitar, antique, watch or whatever will expect to double their money on resale. Dependent of course on purchase price.
    Double? Really? Hmmm, not sure on that. And I'd imagine that some proper dealers would love to make more than 40 points on a guitar...

I think the issue I have with certain dealers (some who have been mentioned above) is that they operate shadily - often using multiple eBay identities and some on here. Some of them get found out but some continue.

I have issue with those that don't declare their intentions. I also have issue with those who are dealers, but say they aren't so they aren't legally bound by their obligations as businesses (warranty, accountability etc).

There are those also who always seem to have lots of guitars for sale or guitars got in 'trades' that are for sale... and you wonder where they come from and keep coming from. Or you'll see similarly photographed guitars on eBay with a different name - but when you ask they get arsey with you.

An accountant once told me that if you are buying something purely with the thought of flipping it for a profit, then that sale should be taxed as it falls into the realm of a business transaction. However, if a private individual does this its a grey area. If someone routinely does this, that's when questions should be asked...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    DefaultM said:
    Yep non problem with that. Where do you think dealers get the secondhand stock from - the used guitar fairy? If you buy something at auction and turn a massive profit the only thing it smells of is great business acumen.

I have more issues with the bedroom dealers who buy as private sellers and screw people for the lowest amount, sometimes complete with a sob story. Or that cunt on eBay who buys very good condition used guitars then lists them as NOS.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    ICBM said:
    Not only Not Cricket but illegal - selling something that wasn't his to sell at the time.
    Exactly that is literally criminal.
    Of course it's not illegal .........billions of pounds are traded as PUT  and CALL options on the stock market every day of the week .......the principal of touting something for sale ,securing an order and then sourceing the goods is also how a large part of the procurement industry works.
     What is llegal is the fine line where you are not able to actually supply the goods at the contract price.
     In the relatively 2 bob world of guitars/instruments it's just a shitty 2 bob way of trying to scavenge a few quid and a bloody sad way to earn a living for a chancer.
  • Iamnobody said:
    DefaultM said:
    Yep non problem with that. Where do you think dealers get the secondhand stock from - the used guitar fairy? If you buy something at auction and turn a massive profit the only thing it smells of is great business acumen.

I have more issues with the bedroom dealers who buy as private sellers and screw people for the lowest amount, sometimes complete with a sob story. Or that cunt on eBay who buys very good condition used guitars then lists them as NOS.

I really don't understand this about buyers using sob stories n sellers believing them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    impmann said:
    Neil said:
    DefaultM said:

Double? Really? Hmmm, not sure on that. And I'd imagine that some proper dealers would love to make more than 40 points on a guitar...

I think the issue I have with certain dealers (some who have been mentioned above) is that they operate shadily - often using multiple eBay identities and some on here. Some of them get found out but some continue.

I have issue with those that don't declare their intentions. I also have issue with those who are dealers, but say they aren't so they aren't legally bound by their obligations as businesses (warranty, accountability etc).

There are those also who always seem to have lots of guitars for sale or guitars got in 'trades' that are for sale... and you wonder where they come from and keep coming from. Or you'll see similarly photographed guitars on eBay with a different name - but when you ask they get arsey with you.

An accountant once told me that if you are buying something purely with the thought of flipping it for a profit, then that sale should be taxed as it falls into the realm of a business transaction. However, if a private individual does this its a grey area. If someone routinely does this, that's when questions should be asked...
    Double your money on second hand goods? Certainly. It is how the legitimate second hand market has always run (not cars).

Although nowadays in the E-world businesses often don't have the onerous responsibilities of running a shop, paying staff etc etc so could obviously get by with smaller margins.

Like you I have a problem with the shady dealers who pretend to just be aficionados, buying and selling stuff without declaring their profits to the revenue.
    Yet still the bedroom dealer I've flagged is still here. Contributing nothing to the rest of the forum and will be ignorant of the fact I'm here disscussing his actions. So why aren't they been removed as a moderator posted. Get rid of them using classified section as a shop front.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2017
    I'd say the majority of people do this with houses all their life, so, although they are annoying, calling the moral high ground on a cheapskate wannabe guitar dealer is kind of rich.  What is really sad is that our whole economy is based on short selling.  Why some guy in his bedroom should get done when there are people out there legally making millions is beyond me.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7331
    sawyer said:
    Yet still the bedroom dealer I've flagged is still here. Contributing nothing to the rest of the forum and will be ignorant of the fact I'm here disscussing his actions. So why aren't they been removed as a moderator posted. Get rid of them using classified section as a shop front.
    Who is it?
    edited February 2017
    Think I'd be in bother if I said. Mods would probably ban me ha. I've flagged it though and nothing done about it despite forum policy. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Sambostar said:
    I'd say the majority of people do this with houses all their life, so, although they are annoying, calling the moral high ground on a cheapskate wannabe guitar dealer is kind of rich.  What is really sad is that our whole economy is based on short selling.  Why some guy in his bedroom should get done when there are people out there legally making millions is beyond me.
    Erm... read the comment about buying things to make money. That's nothing like the analogy about houses. 
    And very very few people "make millions " selling their homes, if any at all.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom