2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I got 1500 miles out of a pair of F-lite 230s. I guess it depends how much expensive foam there is in them. I recommend getting as close to the ground as possible, to (a) avoid injury and (b) avoid bankruptcy.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

I can't believe shoelaces are so complicated.

5.67km done today, first run since December 11th. Looking at some of these infographics though, I think I am overdue a shoe change.

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I got 1500 miles out of a pair of F-lite 230s. I guess it depends how much expensive foam there is in them. I recommend getting as close to the ground as possible, to (a) avoid injury and (b) avoid bankruptcy.
    Yea, that running distance advice seems excessive, maybe I shouldn't have posted that one. I use Asics Gel Nimbus myself which I quiet good for road running. I can't say I've tried any of the shoe lace combinations or whether they make any difference but I might give it a go at the weekend. Thought it was interesting.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    I use lock lacing as it seems to help stop heel slippage.

I wear Saucony Omni. I went to a proper running shop and they pretty much picked them for me. Shin pain went quickly. No too expensive either.
    eSully said:
    Yea, that running distance advice seems excessive, maybe I shouldn't have posted that one. I use Asics Gel Nimbus myself which I quiet good for road running. I can't say I've tried any of the shoe lace combinations or whether they make any difference but I might give it a go at the weekend. Thought it was interesting.
    Yes the laces one is pretty interesting. I used to get loss of feeling in my instep and I just loosened everything, but there are some good methods to try out there.
  • I run in VFFs, no padding so I replace them when I wear a hole in the sole.  ;)

The barefoot/minimalist running thing is somewhat controversial (& many of its proponents are pretty evangelical about it)- I'm sure the discussion had been had elsewhere on this forum.
     It works for me though, I've been injury free for a long time & it reminds me of how running felt as a kid. 
    I've had a few pairs of fake VFFs, in fact I may have to get back into them as I'm currently using an old pair of New Balance MT10s. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Use heel lock lacing on all trainers. 

I'm on 4-8 mm drop for road trainers and 0-6mm for trail. Working down more to 0mm drop but spreading it out over a few months to avoid issues with achilles. Done upto 15 miler in zero drop so far and hoping to be upto full distance for end of Feb.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Just had a plate of steamed fish, brocolli, carrots and parsnip. My body must be in shock.
    3.8km done today.

Wanted to do more but alas it's Parent / Teacher evening and time was running out.

First run after 2 weeks off felt pretty good though.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Rest day for me today- I need to average 23km a week to hit my goal- I should manage it this week no problems at all.
  • Another 7k to work today puts me on 28k... But I've got a DAY OFF tomorrow (my first apart from Christmas Day since the start of November) so I won't be going to work. How will MrsLostSon take to me saying I'm going to disappear for a run rather than having "quality time" with the kids? I'll tell you tomorrow. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Another 4k = 8k. Slowly but surely.
  • I run in VFFs, no padding so I replace them when I wear a hole in the sole.  ;)

The barefoot/minimalist running thing is somewhat controversial (& many of its proponents are pretty evangelical about it)- I'm sure the discussion had been had elsewhere on this forum.
     It works for me though, I've been injury free for a long time & it reminds me of how running felt as a kid. 
    I have very flat wide feet. Swapping to minimalist shoes has worked brilliantly for me. I'm a lot faster and have no injury issues.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Lovely.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I was already back from walking the dog before it got to this stage of the day :(
    I run in the evening in the winter. Less frost to slip on than in the morning.

Although if it gets much colder I might have to run to the local park and just do laps round the football pitch.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    5 miles last night off road (with head torch). Quality session so consisted of dynamic warmup, warmup jog (1.5 miles), 400 metre repeats at a tad faster than 5k pace, 1 minute walk/jog between repeats, cool down jog back (1.5 miles) and stretching.

Good session. I did this as a group and interestingly everyone went of way too quick on the first repeat. By 2nd or 3rd it was much easier to hold a fast but consistent pace. Hard work but worthwhile session.

So far 21 miles this week so far with 3 runs still left to do.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    7.3km last night so my total is 18.4km for the year so far, a mere warm up for @mcsdan ;) -

Happy enough with my progress. I did poorly with my running over Christmas and had IT band issue myself around November time so trying to get back to where I was fitness wise around October time before my knee flared up. Might go for another gentle 5km tonight, rest day tomorrow and thinking a 10k saturday or sunday morning depending on whether I do Park run. Going to register for a few races this week as well to have targets for the year. Need to keep my motivation up.