2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I might up my target a bit then. I like a good walk before work and it takes horrific weather to put me off.

It's usually between 20 and 40 minutes in between taking the little one to school and starting work.
    We don't count the normal walking about stuff but if we do a long, brisk hill walk then yes it will get counted.
    We only do those every week or so and it can help reduce the risk of injury as you are still active without pounding on the pavement like running does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll join in as a member of the 'Don't want to be a chubb club'

6.5 km this morning in about an hour.

Not bad considering I didn't do much exercise last year at all.

And I forgot just how steep the hills in this drizzly bit of East Lancs are.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    5km this morning. 12km planned for Sunday. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Got a 7km in last night which brings me to 25km since Sunday. Rest day today, park run or a very slow 10k tomorrow hopefully.
    mcsdan said:
    4.4 miles last night coaching a newbie marathon runner. 3.4 miles this morning as heart rate training (mid zone 2). 
    Heart rate training? I'd be interested to hear more on what you're training plan is @mcsdan ;
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited January 2017
    @eSully I train runs in different heart rate zones. So a Z1-2 is for cardio/aerobic benefit. Z3 is more for tempo stuff (faster runs) and Z4 is for top end/hill/repeats work. I do the occasional Z5 but have found that pushing that hard and usually with speed is too close to overtraining/injury for me so sprinkle in during off season.

So a typical week will be 1 x tempo/hill reps/fartlek/intervals. 1 x long long run (over 4 hours), 1 x long run (2 hours ish), 2-3 easy runs normally around 3-6 miles in z2.

Mon - Easy (Z2)
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - Long run (Z2)
    Thur - Easy (z2)
    Fri - Reps/hills (Z3/4) etc May also do an easy run in the evening (Z2)
    Sat- Rest
    Sun - Long long (z2)

Sometimes Wed run may be a bit shorter but more Z3 work.

Also do running gym work on a Wednesday and sometimes Monday too. Just a bodywieght programme that targets running muscles/support e.g. core, hips, glutes, calves, quads, hams, ankles etc. Takes about 40mins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    On some weeks I also do 2 long runs back 2 back. This helps the body get used to running on tired legs and depleted energy stores. So that week it could be

Mon - Easy
    Tues - tempo
    Wed - Reps/hills
    Thurs - Easy
    Fri -Rest
    Sat - long (e.g. 12-18m)
    Sun - long (e.g 20-30m)
    Mon -Rest
    Tues - rest if needed

Don't advise jumping into this tough. It takes a while to built the muscular support for the 2 back to back days.
    Also do an easy week where I cut runs down to 3-4, reduce long run to about 12m and cut out the speed (z3/4) work. Easy week is normally every 3rd week.

If training for upto marathon distance I'd replace the mid week long run with a shorter tempo run e.g. 5-6 miles with middle 3-4 at faster pace.

Hope this helps.

:-)
    bear in mind I'm training for long distance races so training is focused more on that :-)
    mcsdan said:

Don't advise jumping into this tough. It takes a while to built the muscular support for the 2 back to back days.
    Cheers for the rundown. Yea, I'm nowhere near considering that level of training but it's a very interesting read.
    edited January 2017
    January 7th: 29km+ 6km = 35km total
    Good run today and the end of week 1- 51 more to go.
    I'm 12km ahead of my weekly goal at the moment- want to keep ahead of it as much as I can, making up km if I let it slip will be exhausting.

If I can average 30-35km a week then I should hit my goal by October.
    @octatonic excellent start to the year :-)
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited January 2017
    I went out for two quite short runs today (about 4.8 miles total) and I forgot to turn my Garmin on until about halfway through the second one. However, I was running to the climbing centre and carrying a pack with my kit in it, so I think it should count double ;)

running total: 17 km
  • guitariguitari Frets: 19
    Third run of the week today, 23km total (7km + 2 x 8km)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    14.8km total now.

I attempted the bastard hill in the village. Got to the top but needed 100 yard walk before running again. It's not massive, but I haven't done hill work since 1991. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    I've lost a couple of pounds and feel much better after the excesses of Christmas. It's bloody great this running lark when you combine it with healthy eating.
    Deadman said:
    I've lost a couple of pounds and feel much better after the excesses of Christmas. It's bloody great this running lark when you combine it with healthy eating.
    Works doesn't it? :)

I'm really proud (is that the right word?) of everyone so far.
    Keep at it, fellas.

I don't know why I ever stop to be honest.
  • I went out again tonight, only had 25mins so  5k going hard. Did it with plenty of time to spare which is nice. 

I'm on 33k for the week/year. I've done 5k minimum & run every day so far. 
    Feeling rather pleased with myself (& us as a group). 
    Get in there. Awesome stuff stimpsonlostson. 5k in 25 mins is brill, I'd struggle with that! Well done.