2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Well done @eSully. ; Is your IT band issue sorted now?

Agree, worth getting races booked in. Nothing like a race coming up to motivate and get you out running this time of year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    mcsdan said:
    Yes thanks, seems fine now. Had to just rest it and keep doing stretches/foam roller. lasted about 4/5 weeks altogether!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    5 miles again today with a colleague.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    eSully said:
    mcsdan said:
    Yes thanks, seems fine now. Had to just rest it and keep doing stretches/foam roller. lasted about 4/5 weeks altogether!
    Excellent :-)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited January 2017
    January 5th: 21km+ 8km = 29km total

Big run today- Mrs Oct was here with me and we decided to push the distance.
    Wasn't quick at just over 42 mins but it was a mixture of road and cross country running- the hills were all icy as anything so some of it involved negotiating the icy mud in the way least likely to involve use falling over.
    She is not long recovered from having surgery on her leg so I am super proud she managed to do it.

Many, many endorphins now. :)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    octatonic said:

Wasn't quick at just over 42 mins but it was a mixture of road and cross country running- the hills were all icy as anything so some of it involved negotiating the icy mud in the way least likely to involve use falling over.
    She is not long recovered from having surgery on her leg so I am super proud she managed to do it.

42 mins for 8km is not horrendous to be honest!! just over 5min KM, perfectly respectable this early in your programme! 
    joneve said:
    octatonic said:

42 mins for 8km is not horrendous to be honest!! just over 5min KM, perfectly respectable this early in your programme! 
    Thanks mate.
    I've been running regularly for just over a year now and have my 5k time at 4:30 a km on a regular basis.
    I was hoping to get my longer runs to around the same pace but it just isn't possible yet.
    I'll get there- I need to drop a bit more weight- 15st at the moment (down from 18), if I could get down around 13 I reckon I'd have a bit more pace on me.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    octatonic said:
    joneve said:
    octatonic said:

Thanks mate.
    I've been running regularly for just over a year now and have my 5k time at 4:30 a km on a regular basis.
    I was hoping to get my longer runs to around the same pace but it just isn't possible yet.
    I'll get there- I need to drop a bit more weight- 15st at the moment (down from 18), if I could get down around 13 I reckon I'd have a bit more pace on me.
    It's a marathon, not a sprint :) Interval training will help with your endurance and leg strength for longer runs, sometimes breaks the monotony of running too (I fucking hate running)...Losing some timber will help as well..but losing 3 stone is no mean feat! Top work sir! 

I have an olympic distance triathlon in 7 months, and have done fuck all training thus far, so need to get running toot sweet otherwise it'll creep up on me and I'll be shitting bricks/dying...I just hate running, find it boring AF...but everyone always tells me I'm built for it (long legs, relatively slight build, if you ignore the stomach I've grown in recent months from no exercise) - and it's too cold for cycling, unless you layer up and it just gets really faffy in this weather.  

The wife and I want to try and get motivated to run (she hates it more than me, but will happily run on a netball court for an hour non-stop!)...as she wants to lose a bit of weight before we (might) start trying for kids. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Rest day for me (apart from the morning walk).

Good job too - the pot hole infected pavements round here are as icy as a massive icy thing this evening.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    edited January 2017
    Another 4k this morning brings my total to 12k. I'm gonna have to up the pace if I'm going to reach my easter goal as I need to average 25k per week. I'll get to 5k 5 times per week eventually!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12334
    I've started very tentatively, arthritis in knee after a cruciate ligament op 10 yrs ago has now left it very unpredictable. Only managed 2 miles before it started playing up. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Nowt wrong with taking it steady Jonny, you were wise to stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've started very tentatively, arthritis in knee after a cruciate ligament op 10 yrs ago has now left it very unpredictable. Only managed 2 miles before it started playing up. 
    You might be better starting with a walk-run-walk interval programme to build up some strength before running more strenuously.

It's a bit dull - I did that for the first 6 months after a couple of hernia operations - but it keeps the heart rate up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @octatonic good pace on your 8km :-) Don't worry about pace on long runs to begin with. A slower pace/heart rate helps to build strength in tendons, heart and more importantly increase the power of the mitocondria and capillaries.  Research shows that the heart achieves maximum blood flow (volume) at around 60% of max. It can obviously pump that volume quicker as HR goes up.  A longer slow run will increase aerobic capacity which will have an impact on your shorter faster runs too. 
    4.4 miles last night coaching a newbie marathon runner. 3.4 miles this morning as heart rate training (mid zone 2). 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I may do 4 miles up the canal at lunchtime, not sure. The last time I ran the day before my 9 mile Parkrun session I felt dodgy afterwards. I also need to start doing more than 7 miles for a "long" run, only 8 weeks to the half marathon.

I have mixed feelings about the half. I know I'm not going to even trouble the 1:48 I did in sandals in 2014, in fact I may come in at around the same time as my first half in 2008 (2:00:02, so close!), so I just need to treat it as an enjoyable experience in my home town I guess.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I went for a walk this morning (not counting that for my target) and it was incredibly slippery.

When I go out later I'm definitely going to go round the footy pitch and avoid the concrete.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    just checked on Garmin Connect and I managed 220 miles on the road last year, thought I would have done more.  Dont know how many I managed on the tread mill at home, dont tend to keep a record but I guess overall it would be another 120 miles, so 340 in all.

Since boxing day I've racked up 28 miles so started the new year well but my cycling is likely to dominate this year, good luck to those trying running for the first time, would recommend a Garmin GPS watch as a training partner.  Dont bother with phones, not suitable for use on the move.  GPS watch will tell you your pace so will help you from going off to fast, a common problem for beginners.
    I went for a walk this morning (not counting that for my target) and it was incredibly slippery.

When I go out later I'm definitely going to go round the footy pitch and avoid the concrete.
    I reckon you can- you did the distance and it all helps your health.
    Count away. :)
    I might up my target a bit then. I like a good walk before work and it takes horrific weather to put me off.

It's usually between 20 and 40 minutes in between taking the little one to school and starting work.