Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Noel Gallagher on Jazz

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Fretwired said:
    The great British jazz guitarist Derek Bailey .. I expect lots of lols, wows and wiz's if you don't like this .... ;-)

Ah, yes. I came up with something similar called "Plugged-In Electric Guitar Falling Over".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191

There's enough notes in that clip to last a lifetime... or more. :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Fretwired said:
    The great British jazz guitarist Derek Bailey .. I expect lots of lols, wows and wiz's if you don't like this .... ;-)

isn't he just checking his intonation out?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Fretwired said:

isn't he just checking his intonation out?

I thought he was tuning up to start with, but no, I was wrong, he's a proper avant-garde jazz sage.  :o

"He's out there, he's really out there" (Photojournalist to Capt. Willard, Apocalypse Now!)

This guy was one of the first jazz guys I heard .. my dad had a massive collection of jazz records.

An old friend of mine .. string orchestra, Godin guitar and an overdrive pedal ..

And I like these guys Nu jazz ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Fretwired said:

Fuck my wellington boots - it sounds like someone who genuinely cannot play.

Avant-garde Jazz is another way of saying "unlistenable nonsense" - there are exceptions, such as Captain Beefheart. However, improvised stuff like this is twaddle. Nels Cline is a great player, but some of the god-awful "improvisations" he has done, especially with that prat from Sonic Youth who can't tune a guitar are just rubbish.

Jazz is a broad church - Bing Crosby, Les Paul, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Robert Wyatt and if you want to include bollocks like this noise, all of them are classed as 'Jazz'... as was blues at one time.

Noel is just having a laugh - he likes winding people up and saying things that get him noticed...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jazz just means improvised music. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Jazz is great in small doses. Like Jizz.

I'll have to take your word for that, I think.
  • impmann said:

Noel is just having a laugh - he likes winding people up and saying things that get him noticed...
    This. Like his comment about keyboards, which went roughly along the lines of "There's an elemental connection between man and guitars. It's something to do with the wood and nature and stuff like that. But keyboards? If you melt them down they're basically a fucking tea set. I'm not having that."
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Jazz is great in small doses. Like Jizz.
    Well that's down to personal taste

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Fretwired said:

Is this video meant to be a joke or is he serious? Awful, just awful.
    edited January 2017
    TTBZ said:

Is this video meant to be a joke or is he serious? Awful, just awful.
    That's him being melodic. Honestly. This is another performance ...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31613
    I love Thelonious Monk more than I like almost all rock music, but still understand perfectly why most people hate jazz.

I also find Noel Gallagher quite endearing sometimes, but frankly ALL jazz is beyond his musical intellect, not just the Emperor's New Clothes atonal nonsense.
    I'd take his opinion a bit more seriously if I thought he could even chuck together a bit of convincing rockabilly/swing, but quite frankly he knows fuck all about anything really, he's just like a teenage contrarian.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Is that a cork I can smell?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited January 2017
    I'm left speechless by that last Derek Bailey video. But not in a good way. The ultimate expression of style over substance.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Why do people have to put down music they don't like? Noel Gallagher is doing it in the clip the OP posted, (humorously or otherwise) and plenty of others are waying in as well. It's not enough to say "it's not for me" or "just not my thing" - the offending music genre or artist must be put down and labelled as crap and not what music is supposed to be. Bollocks to that really.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    octatonic said:

It is like criticising all pop music as sounding like the Beatles.
    An easy mistake to make if you listen to a lot of Oasis.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    That sums up my view of Jazz as well. Deliberately discordant self indulgent drivel. 

Pedantic point - the regular common old 7 chord (dominant 7th) is discordant anyway.

Don't even get me started on the flattened fifth, which Sabbath & others are full of.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Although I do agree with what Gallagher says in that clip about jazz being rubbish, I also feel the same about his band too,Oasis.

Fucking nonsense.