Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Noel Gallagher on Jazz

What's Hot

Comments

• I never heard any Jazz that I wanted to listen to - until I attended a birthday party in Brum (Pete Hartley who plays Electric Violin and Mandolin.)  Hi hired a jazz band who thoroughly entertained me for two hours. Great stuff.

Though I've never heard any jazz since which I want to listen to.  Strange!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    ICBM said:
    octatonic said:

It is like criticising all pop music as sounding like the Beatles.
    An easy mistake to make if you listen to a lot of Oasis.
    Finally someone said it. :)
    I set these things up for people and no one goes for it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saying you don't like jazz because of the weird bebop stuff is like saying you don't like classical music because you don't like Wagner, or indie rock because the bloke from Oasis talks shit.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Typical Noel.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2017
    Last time I had a pop at Jamie Cullam I was accused of being a racist, I am staying well away from this.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    Last time I had a pop at Jamie Cullam I was accused of being a racist, I am staying well away from this.
    You'll get splinters in your arse

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Megii said:
    Why do people have to put down music they don't like? Noel Gallagher is doing it in the clip the OP posted, (humorously or otherwise) and plenty of others are waying in as well. It's not enough to say "it's not for me" or "just not my thing" - the offending music genre or artist must be put down and labelled as crap and not what music is supposed to be. Bollocks to that really.
    I do get what you're saying, and I personally try very hard indeed to avoid that sort of stuff, but as has been pointed out on this thread already, Gallagher is being inflammatory for the sake of it, and is not to taken seriously.

Nor are most of the other comments on here (except the ones about Derek Bailey, he's fair game because I've seen a clip where he was just as dismissive and snotty about all other forms of music, not just jazz).
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    Why do people have to put down music they don't like? Noel Gallagher is doing it in the clip the OP posted, (humorously or otherwise) and plenty of others are waying in as well. It's not enough to say "it's not for me" or "just not my thing" - the offending music genre or artist must be put down and labelled as crap and not what music is supposed to be. Bollocks to that really.
    I do get what you're saying, and I personally try very hard indeed to avoid that sort of stuff, but as has been pointed out on this thread already, Gallagher is being inflammatory for the sake of it, and is not to taken seriously.

Nor are most of the other comments on here (except the ones about Derek Bailey, he's fair game because I've seen a clip where he was just as dismissive and snotty about all other forms of music, not just jazz).
    Fair play, and cheers for the reply - I wasn't particularly responding to you, it just happened that your previous post was in front of mine. And yes, I accept that NG is being deliberately inflammatory, as you point out (I quite like a bit of Oasis from time to time as it happens). For some reason I do like Derek Bailey's music, weird though that may seem to some. Not that I'd want to listen to it constantly, and I haven't seen the clip of him being snotty about other music forms, and I have to be a bit disappointed in him about that. I don't know about the other comments, but I'm happy to not take them too seriously, and I did say "bollocks" with a smile on my face. :D
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28673
    octatonic said:
    Have a listen to this:
    Imagine what that bunch could come up with if they ever discover you can play music on those instruments!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    impmann said:

Fuck my wellington boots - it sounds like someone who genuinely cannot play. 

So ...  umm ... your wellies ... are they seeing anyone at the moment?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5019
    Jazz means sex, or at least that is the original meaning of the word. 

"
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    The great British jazz guitarist Derek Bailey .. I expect lots of lols, wows and wiz's if you don't like this .... ;-)

ahhhh… for a minute there I thought is was a beginner trying to play Genocide by Judas Priest and having a bit of a mare..
    play every note as if it were your first
    Megii said:
    'it's easy to laugh, it's easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind' (Morrissey)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    'it's easy to laugh, it's easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind' (Morrissey)
    Perhaps too easy to lose one's sense of humour occasionally too, sorry if I did that :)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Is that a cork I can smell?
    No, Noel's shit talking ;)
    blueskunk said:
    Is that a cork I can smell?
    No, Noel's shit talking ;)
    No, it was the smell of people sniffing corks that I got a whiff of, that was it. It's a heady blend of holier than thou, mixed with condescendence and belittlement.  =)

• Megii said:
    But Morrissey is pretty much the gold standard of bellend-ery.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Megii said:
    But Morrissey is pretty much the gold standard of bellend-ery.
    Don't be silly, he's tip top, I bet Mozzer hates Jazz as well, Johnny did.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5019
    Fretwired said:
    The great British jazz guitarist Derek Bailey .. I expect lots of lols, wows and wiz's if you don't like this .... ;-)

Spot the difference 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Noel Gallagher talking about Jazz is like Katie Price talking about Shakespeare. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom