Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Devastating News

What's Hot

Comments

• Custom Feline or get my Larrivee etched... call whichever one "Sheena" if that isn't lame.. crikey..

I'll show the casting thing to Sheena, see what she says!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

@DiscoStu (and @Snap I guess!) that's also cool - you just do that at home with the kit? Does it come out ok? 
    Hmm..

Sorry for late reply - a million and one things on the go!

A friend of ours did a couple of casts of the kid's hands and feet when they were babies, they came out brilliantly. She did them from scratch, using the raw materials.

Slight caevat though -she's an artist.......kind of knows what she's doing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2017
    I wrote an e-mail to Larrivee themselves asking if they've ever had this done. I know Jean Larrivee's wife does a lot of the artwork on their guitars so options: 

- Custom guitar (ouch £ but worth it.. or get a 2nd OM-02 used) or modification to existing OM-O2 (but not keen on shipping out...) most likely by UK-based worker. I could even get another OM-02 low-price (but still GREAT) model so that the cost of artwork (if they even do this) plus guitar is kept to a minimum (though something like an OM-05 with gloss over the top I think is more hard-wearing..).

- Sheena's signature on the headstock
    ++ this can be carved in... carved into a "plate" which is screwed onto the face-plate in case I ever want to sell and keep the face-plate, or even carved in and then filled in with mother of pearl or other material, as per @PVO_Dave's post above. 

- And/or.. replace the inlays for frets 3,5,7,12 and 15 with the letters of her name: S H E E N A.

- And/or put our saying "me and you, just us two" around the bottom of the face of the guitar body

I think it's quite a romantic notion to get this done on an acoustic. One can only hope the guitar would last (a "plate" might be better in those terms, in case guitar was ever damaged somehow). I'd have to see images of these options to make sure they're not naff. And getting it specially done would be "the way" to do this, though unfortunately I very much doubt she'll be here to see this. 

The hand cast is also cool - something I'll keep in mind.

EDIT - I suppose a decal is also an option but those can peel off. I wonder who is good for actual engravings, and if they have to be done prior to any finish (sure they must)... 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24353
    I think it's quite a romantic notion to get this done on an acoustic.

Have you considered carving her name into the body of the acoustic with a penknife ?

(hoping you get the reference and don't just think I'm mental !)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol!! What film was that again..?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2017
    Wendy Larrivee can do custom engravings on any Larrivee: 
    https://www.larrivee.com/customs
    https://www.larrivee.com/news/larrive-custom-shop

Getting something done to my existing guitar is going to be a lot cheaper.. will look into all this ..

Cheaper sticker inlays???
    https://www.inlaysticker.com

Lol!! What film was that again..?
    Not a film, but some lunatic on MR a few years back who was asking for help for the best lacquer to use to protect the carving he'd made of his girlfriend's name in the body of his acoustic.  Everyone ripped the piss out of him and Paolo did some hysterical photoshops of various guitars with badly-chiselled writing in.  What was her name now ?  Carly ?  Something like that !  Maybe someone else can remember !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aaahh yes, lol!!!!!! :) Well remembered!
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited October 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Not a film, but some lunatic on MR a few years back who was asking for help for the best lacquer to use to protect the carving he'd made of his girlfriend's name in the body of his acoustic.  Everyone ripped the piss out of him and Paolo did some hysterical photoshops of various guitars with badly-chiselled writing in.  What was her name now ?  Carly ?  Something like that !  Maybe someone else can remember !
    You mean Keely, of "KEELEY I CHIZZED THIS 4U PLEEZE REMOVE THE INJUNKSHUN" fame?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    viz said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    You mean Keely, of "KEELEY I CHIZZED THIS 4U PLEEZE REMOVE THE INJUNKSHUN" fame?
    Profile pic:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/47/Paulo
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant!
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    viz said:
    viz said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Profile pic:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/47/Paulo

His accompanying one commemorating the time he "furst ate jam" was, in my opinion, even funnier. Paulo is the only forumite to rival randomhandclaps for comedy.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    Do any of your guitars have a bolt on neck plate (think Telecaster)? 
    If so you could buy a new, plain neck plate and have it engraved? 
  • Good idea! 
    Just the standard PRS and suhr backplates so might be an option..

Rothko and Frost do waterslide decals which I'd need to lacquer up but not sure if I'd remove the existing Larrivee logo or keep it and add to it.

She's a lot worse now, sleeping all the time, skin going a little yellow too and other liver failure signs. She had a fall and I couldn't lift her so had to get the crisis care team out. Still manageable but needs keeping an eye on, needs lifted out of chairs etc. She's such a heroine, so brave and loving. It gets harder for me the closer it comes, those tears I couldn't find before are coming now. I'm dearly going to miss her. I got some "pirate" props for a meal out we're having on my birthday next week... Because us and the girls and her best friend are the "pirate gang" apparently - so it's not some huge thing but I'll tell her to close her eyes and when she opens then at the restaurant we'll all look like pirates :)
    Oh Man...  My heart breaks for you.  I wish I could give you a big hug.   :'(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Best wishes to you and your family, and respect for the way you've dealt with this and supported Sheena.  I thing it is great how you've made the most of your time together, and planned everything out.  I met you briefly at the Birmingham show in February, and have the utmost respect for how you're dealing with such a horrible situation, hope it goes as well as it can.
  • Thanks, guys! You're all a great support :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Stay strong. Your doing all you can and then some. Heroic stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Hold on in there Thomas, you're doing a fantastic job.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Hold on in there Thomas, you're doing a fantastic job.
    This. What a fucking amazing human being you are Thomas. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom