Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Devastating News

What's Hot

Comments

• The amazing person here really is Sheena - if only you could all meet her - she's simply the best!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    I wrote an e-mail to Larrivee themselves asking if they've ever had this done. I know Jean Larrivee's wife does a lot of the artwork on their guitars so options: 

- Custom guitar (ouch £ but worth it.. or get a 2nd OM-02 used) or modification to existing OM-O2 (but not keen on shipping out...) most likely by UK-based worker. I could even get another OM-02 low-price (but still GREAT) model so that the cost of artwork (if they even do this) plus guitar is kept to a minimum (though something like an OM-05 with gloss over the top I think is more hard-wearing..).

- Sheena's signature on the headstock
    ++ this can be carved in... carved into a "plate" which is screwed onto the face-plate in case I ever want to sell and keep the face-plate, or even carved in and then filled in with mother of pearl or other material, as per @PVO_Dave's post above. 

- And/or.. replace the inlays for frets 3,5,7,12 and 15 with the letters of her name: S H E E N A.

- And/or put our saying "me and you, just us two" around the bottom of the face of the guitar body

I think it's quite a romantic notion to get this done on an acoustic. One can only hope the guitar would last (a "plate" might be better in those terms, in case guitar was ever damaged somehow). I'd have to see images of these options to make sure they're not naff. And getting it specially done would be "the way" to do this, though unfortunately I very much doubt she'll be here to see this. 

The hand cast is also cool - something I'll keep in mind.

EDIT - I suppose a decal is also an option but those can peel off. I wonder who is good for actual engravings, and if they have to be done prior to any finish (sure they must)... 

The idea of a removable plate is a good shout. Over time things happen to guitars (damage, theft, needing to sell for money or space) and it could potentially make any of those situations even worse, whereas if it's a plate that you could always remove it and have it on the wall.

As we all keep saying, you're doing an amazing job and it sounds like you're making and recording some great memories even at this difficult time :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    You really are an amazing man, i can safely say this would have broke many many people myself included. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2557
    You’re a wonderful human being Tom.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Thoughts are with you both - inspiration is all I can say, but doesn’t even come close.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Larrivee got back to me. They can't do custom inlays as there is a 12+ month wait time but they could do "Sheena" as fret markers in another more typical font. I don't know now, it would cost so much , I'm not 100% about the woods I'd get, they can't do custom inlay.. 
    Could still get the Rothko and Frost decal and get a luthier to just replace the Larrivee logo on my existing OM2 headstock with her signature.. or maybe I just stop trying to spend money I've not got, leave all this to future when I'm more sure.

Still haven't got anything from her for birthday damn..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    What about a slightly different approach to the personalised guitar -have you got a guitar with a Gibson style truss rod cover? If you do you could get Sheena’s signature on a specially made truss rod cover? Might be a little easier on the funds too but will still be entirely personal. Sorry if this options already been considered but a mate mentioned customised truss rod covers in the pub last night and I immediately thought of you and this thread.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    What about a slightly different approach to the personalised guitar -have you got a guitar with a Gibson style truss rod cover? If you do you could get Sheena’s signature on a specially made truss rod cover? Might be a little easier on the funds too but will still be entirely personal. Sorry if this options already been considered but a mate mentioned customised truss rod covers in the pub last night and I immediately thought of you and this thread.
    Along similar lines, a friend of mine runs a business which does custom picks - the minimum order is 50, I think.

https://www.picktown.co.uk/
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I used this guy to make mine, which @darthed1981 now has because they went with the LTD when he bought it.

I paid £35 for 2 covers posted from the USA.
    Turnaround is 4 weeks.
    The guy's name is Dave and he's really friendly to chat to, always replies to emails and always send lots of mock-up shots before he goes ahead and engraves.
    You pay up front and then they arrive 4 weeks later, no customs charge or anything.

Top guy and top quality work.
    Not quick but really, really worth the wait.

FRETS ON THE NET

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2017
    Thanks, guys - something like this probably practical and realisable in the short term. Unfortunately don't think Sheena will make it out to a restaurant even in a wheelchair on my birthday , she's much more confused and tired and her body is starting to go jaundice now, too. She's making sure everybody is ok right up to the last minute, always thinking of others before herself. She's only awake 3 hours of the day, been up since 2.30am watching a film with her. I like those times, just her and I.
  • I think we need something more than LOL / wow / Wiz for your posts, Thomas. They're not really up to the job. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    I think we need something more than LOL / wow / Wiz for your posts, Thomas. They're not really up to the job. 
    A ‘Humanity’ button, perhaps?

You’re a top bloke Thomas....
  • I want an "I'm exhausted" button :lol: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    I want an "I'm exhausted" button :lol: 
    Not surprised mate.

You've lived more than most of us, done more than most us, and certainly given more than most of us.

Put your feet up for 5 secs and have "a nice cup of tea".
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • :) 
    I got this wireless doorbell because if I'm upstairs and she's downstairs in the hospital bed, she rings it and I attend. It's quite funny, I just went upstairs to log onto the computer and two seconds later "ding dong ding dong.. Thomas please get me a cup of tea" :lol: 
    There are quite a few physical challenges regarding moving her. 
    Anyway.. time to go back upstairs... :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917
    :) 
    I got this wireless doorbell because if I'm upstairs and she's downstairs in the hospital bed, she rings it and I attend. It's quite funny, I just went upstairs to log onto the computer and two seconds later "ding dong ding dong.. Thomas please get me a cup of tea" :lol: 
    There are quite a few physical challenges regarding moving her. 
    Anyway.. time to go back upstairs... :lol: 
    Great minds.....we have some of those bells in our house, but the other way round:
    it's the opposite of the upstairs/downstairs model: the buttons are all next to the kitchen, and the bells in the kids rooms and my mancave to summon us to the kitchen (usually me as the chef doing this)
    I have to buy several brands to keep them from triggering each other

The kids are really sick of them now, and when I took them to Prague, we went in a cheap rootsy locals restaurant, which had the same bell as my youngest, every time the kitchen had an order ready, it went off near us in the restaurant. Poor thing was getting wound up all through the meal
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :lol: :lol:

Our actual doorbell ringer is on the front door. When we're in the kitchen we can't hear it. And no chance if outside in the garden room. I'd love to get it to ring a bunch of others. I'm sure it can be done easily but I cannot be bothered finding out right now :lol:
    :lol: :lol:

Our actual doorbell ringer is on the front door. When we're in the kitchen we can't hear it. And no chance if outside in the garden room. I'd love to get it to ring a bunch of others. I'm sure it can be done easily but I cannot be bothered finding out right now :lol:
    please please sort mine out:
    front door bell is mains, some transformer I assume, with bell wire
    I want it to trigger a wireless one for the summerhouse out the back
  • Pic of your summerhouse? :lol: :)
    Yeah I think ours is the same.... I think I'm going to rip it out and get a dedicated one that sends a signal to 3 ringers. I'll come back to this in future... just like the garage floor I have to paint, still.. 
    Pic of your summerhouse? :lol: :)
    Yeah I think ours is the same.... I think I'm going to rip it out and get a dedicated one that sends a signal to 3 ringers. I'll come back to this in future... just like the garage floor I have to paint, still.. 
    it's a 100 year old house, with 2 doors, each with an olde world push button, and loud ding dong bells upstairs and downstairs, so not sure if it's easier to replace or augment

The summerhouse was another plan that went in an unforeseen direction
    It's a big one, 5.5m x 4m, full of mice comfy sofas, and the plan was that we'd get the kids to clear off to it in the summer, and give us more peace in the house.
    What actually happens is that when it's warm. we sit out their drinking wine and thinking we are on holiday somewhere, whilst the kids have the house to themselves