Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Erm... Brexiteers? Is this something we knew about?

What's Hot

Comments

• Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Ending a marriage always costs money. It's worth it, though, especially if your spouse has become bloated and unreasonable.
    Or if you want to run off with the shredded-wheat haired blond American bimbo over the river who promised to 'treat you right' if you left your wife..
    I believe we left the marriage before the blonde bimbo appeared on the scene.
    No we didn't unless I missed us leaving?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Ending a marriage always costs money. It's worth it, though, especially if your spouse has become bloated and unreasonable.
    Or if you want to run off with the shredded-wheat haired blond American bimbo over the river who promised to 'treat you right' if you left your wife..
    We left the marital home - the divorce has yet to be finalised.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited February 2017
    Brize said:
    Brize said:

I wasn't aware that article 50 had been triggered, which is formal notice of leaving.  Unless the loony lefty remoaners (me then apparently) have somehow hidden the fact to be extra miserable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Brize said:

Yep, the EU is like Hotel California.
    Mirrors on the ceiling, pink champagne on ice...

Sounds like a typical Euro expenses bash, certainly :).

It's a pity Joe Walsh didn't get very far running for President. That could have been much more fun.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    ICBM said:
    Brize said:

It's a pity Joe Walsh didn't get very far running for President. That could have been much more fun.
    Joe Walsh is more coherent than Juncker.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    edited February 2017
    He's a bellend, if Le Pen wins then France will leave and then the EU collapses, fuck 'em and don't pay a penny. That's my opening negotiating position. Let the tosser come crawling for some scraps later. Who the fuck do they think they are dealing with? We are Great Britain, clue's in the name.

"my offer is this...nothing"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Brize said:

good memory - I totally forgot about that - They would have had some fun with him there
  • As I understand it, it's not a bill for leaving. The total is that of the stuff we signed up to fund while a member of the EU, but those obligations weren't conditional upon remaining a member of the EU (because somebody, somewhere had a lack of foresight). They weren't particularly onerous as long as we remained a member, because we got a good percentage of the cash back and we stood to take advantage of the benefits of the projects (eg research projects) as part of the EU.

In legal terms, they probably have us over a barrel.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Another reason we shouldn't have signed the 1992 agreement in the first place :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    We should leave the same way you leave a French restaurant: quickly and without paying the bill
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarky said:
    Another reason we shouldn't have signed the 1992 agreement in the first place :(
    It wouldn't change anything. We have similar obligations to other countries, and we pay them. In the case of most of this stuff, we'd be doing exactly this whether we were a member of the EU or not. It's not like we'd have to hand over a wad of cash all at once...it'd be due on the same terms as was originally agreed upon (and my impression is that each item was individually agreed by us anyway).

In short...this is mostly a non-story.
    <space for hire>
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11958
    Whatever the amount is (I  doubt it's as high as that), it the cash we already owe from BEING in the EU
    To me that's surely  good evidence  to support leave?

I've worked out (in my head after a few pints ) that I already contribute £1000 a year to the EU (i.e  that is not paid back to the UK) 

Anyway,  I doubt the amount actually committed is payable instantly, or is much of a surprise. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Ok, so what's that divided by 17,410,742?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2017
    As I understand it, it's not a bill for leaving. The total is that of the stuff we signed up to fund while a member of the EU, but those obligations weren't conditional upon remaining a member of the EU (because somebody, somewhere had a lack of foresight). They weren't particularly onerous as long as we remained a member, because we got a good percentage of the cash back and we stood to take advantage of the benefits of the projects (eg research projects) as part of the EU.

It's not a bill for leaving but it's not a bill to meet our obligations either. The idea is that we continue with our £12 billion contributions for five years - this is to help the EU transition their budget, but if we pay we have access to the single market and our projects will be funded. This gives time for trade negotiations and if we were to do it we would be looked upon favourably when it comes to a trade deal. Simply put the EU can't afford to lose the £8.5 billion net contribution from the EU.  The PM might think it a price worth paying for economic stability and a longer transition period.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    As I understand it, it's not a bill for leaving. The total is that of the stuff we signed up to fund while a member of the EU, but those obligations weren't conditional upon remaining a member of the EU (because somebody, somewhere had a lack of foresight). They weren't particularly onerous as long as we remained a member, because we got a good percentage of the cash back and we stood to take advantage of the benefits of the projects (eg research projects) as part of the EU.

It's not a bill for leaving but it's not a bill to meet our obligations either. The idea is that we continue with our £12 billion contributions for five years - this is to help the EU transition their budget, but if we pay we have access to the single market and our projects will be funded. This gives time for trade negotiations and if we were to do it we would be looked upon favourably when it comes to a trade deal. Simply put the EU can't afford to lose the £8.5 billion net contribution from the EU.  The PM might think it a price worth paying for economic stability and a longer transition period.
    Fair enough...thanks for the clarification. That means there's likely scope for it to be negotiated down, which could end up as an overall win-win as an ongoing arrangement. Sort of a half-in, half-out situation.
    <space for hire>
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The UK has a perfectly valid counter claim on a lot more than 60bn of EU assets. Fairly high chance their won't be much of an EU to negocation with in a years time anyway. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    ICBM said:

good memory - I totally forgot about that - They would have had some fun with him there
    "I'd like to introduce to you right now, the next President of the United States, Mr. Joe Walsh."

"Hey, man I'm… freakin' out! Yes, I'd like to remind you I'm running for President… I'm running for President - appreciate your vote - and here is an industrial love song."

Eagles Live - a big part of my childhood :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    the tories are not going to come up with a brexit plan that makes anyone but the wealthy better off. & many of those among the lowest paid & unwaged (including sick & state pensioners) are going to get really beaten hard. because that is what tories do.
    the hard reality of a tory-dictated hard brexit.

& in a few years time working class leave voters will be like the crying woman on question time, raging after she voted tory in 2015 on the basis they had promised not to cut tax credits, & then announced they would a few months after getting in. ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
    universal credit replacing tax credits & above inflation rent rises will mean her family's living standards will crash anyway, but hey, all her fault for not having a triple-lock private pension or a buy-to-let portfolio to fall back on. so why should the tories care less if she has a nervous breakdown & her kids starve.

as long as the wealthy & the retired tory hardcore vote are protected & enriched, everyone else can be thoroughly fucked over. that is tory policy & brexit will reflect that policy in full.

why some tories fear blood on the streets in a couple of years:
    Further spending cuts, higher taxes and a renewed squeeze on living standards all add up to trouble ahead.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/19/why-some-tories-fear-blood-on-the-streets
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

"I'd like to introduce to you right now, the next President of the United States, Mr. Joe Walsh."

"Hey, man I'm… freakin' out! Yes, I'd like to remind you I'm running for President… I'm running for President - appreciate your vote - and here is an industrial love song."

Eagles Live - a big part of my childhood :).
    I remember it all now - just not played that album for years
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    Fretwired said:

£60 Billion.

It's just the beginning.

I see you've inflated the price in good old tabloid fashion ..... ;-)

...each.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom