Next Gardiner and Houlgate Auction - March 16th

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    @guitars4you  their literature makes a big thing of "it's up to you to verify authenticity and is nowt to do with us"

In their Ts & Cs and everything..
    I assumed that would be the case - a legit dealer would never get away with that - They don't confirm what it is, or what it isn't and no come back - excellent !!!!!

Which is another reason I dislike purchasing in this manner - it's an absolute "hands-off, walk away from the wreckage" means of selling.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @guitars4you  their literature makes a big thing of "it's up to you to verify authenticity and is nowt to do with us"

I assumed that would be the case - a legit dealer would never get away with that - They don't confirm what it is, or what it isn't and no come back - excellent !!!!!

Which is another reason I dislike purchasing in this manner - it's an absolute "hands-off, walk away from the wreckage" means of selling.
    When was the last time you walked away from a guitar that was basically wreckage? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    the perils of buying vintage ?

have you seen lot #29 - any comments regarding the players grade 55 LP Junior 
    Clive Brown says he did paint this one, so I'm told by a friend who fancies buying it. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    and this of course:

Surely a refin?
    GH told me the finish had been authenticated as original by Clive Brown! But it looks every inch the refinish to every other expert I know who has seen the pics. It was in the previous auction and didn't reach its reserve. 
    Interesting concept regarding any 'dubious' finish

what come back do you have against GH - on the sales particular it does not state anything about it been or indeed not been original - or indeed 'authenticated by Clive Brown' - In the condition of sales I dare say it covers them, on the basis that goods can be inspected for viewing, so buyer beware I suppose - as long as it is not a total 'fake' then it gets rid of any come back against GH - yet a dealer can apply the same principal, as the buyer would want it in writing that it is an original finish - 10 penneth on your thoughts
    Factory Refin. The stamp is conducive to how Gibson stamped factory re-finished guitars. It belonged/belongs to a forum member here.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    It looks straight enough BUT it'll always be a refin Sunburst Junior so i'd value that at a dealer price of £2.5k max. Will be interesting to see what it ends up as.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    It looks straight enough BUT it'll always be a refin Sunburst Junior so i'd value that at a dealer price of £2.5k max. Will be interesting to see what it ends up as.
    I can't see it selling at its guide line price, which they show as 1K max - surely will exceed that - at least you have the option of 'customising' it as required for a good players grade model and retain some vintage character
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528

I dont have a problem with it. It's an auction house, not a shop, and thats just how they operate.  Usually two days of viewing so that you can inspect the item and do your homework, then bid accordingly on the day. So it is down to the buyer to do all the work.  If you dont do the research, then you only have yourself to blame if you end up disappointed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader

I dont have a problem with it. It's an auction house, not a shop, and thats just how they operate.  Usually two days of viewing so that you can inspect the item and do your homework, then bid accordingly on the day. So it is down to the buyer to do all the work.  If you dont do the research, then you only have yourself to blame if you end up disappointed.

I agree to a large degree - but many potential customers don't have enough knowledge, so on one hand you can say fine, don't buy - But if you get it back home and fine issues then tough is what G&H will say - No decent vintage based dealer can operate like that (some do I know but they quickly get found out) - Will they allow you to fully strip down and evaluate say an old Strat on the viewing days ? - A private seller can operate in this manner, so I fully appreciate it is then a case of buyer beware - But a legit business that is now trying to acquire a decent reputation in the vintage market place is on some what of a freebie - My opinion won't change anything I know,  but I think it is only fair that less knowledgable potential buyers are aware of such a practice
    tFB Trader
    Certainly agree with the points here but IMO researching the guitar you are interested in buying and also the model itself to the nth degree is imperative when buying a vintage guitar. Also a knowledge of common repairs/ how to spot fixes etc is a given too. These days, with the benefit of experience I take the word of a vintage dealer with about as much credence as I do that of Donald Trump.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

When was the last time you walked away from a guitar that was basically wreckage? :)

Hmmmm...that's a tricky one...certainly some time ago... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Personally, I've never been keen on auctions (of any sort) - but that's just me. :)

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528

Personally, I've never been keen on auctions (of any sort) - but that's just me. :)
    Says the guy with the reputation for churning out threads about ebay guitars.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

Says the guy with the reputation for churning out threads about ebay guitars.
    To be fair, a good portion of them are buy it now ;)
    tFB Trader
    any updates appreciated of any who attend regarding prices - bargains or wow that is OTT on price
    tFB Trader
    any updates appreciated of any who attend regarding prices - bargains or wow that is OTT on price
    You can watch the auction online Mark and chuckle along like I'm doing ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Still trying to figure if the Clive Brown Esquire had an overly large pickguard or an undersized body that's been sanded down too much, either way the pickguard is on the edge of the body! 
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    I'll look at results later - did not know there is a live 'viewing as such - I thought you might be there
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    I'll look at results later - did not know there is a live 'viewing as such - I thought you might be there
    Na, IMO there's no real bargains to be had and with all the 'stuff of interest' one is competing with Atoyboy, Nottingham City Guitars and any other eBay/bedroom dealer with a bit of capital behind them. 

@Strat54 Clive Brown Esquire went for £480 + 24% fees.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Listening to it now.....who's buying this junk? The CB Esquire went for £480 plus fees.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, loads of 'custom built' fenders styles going for about double what theyre worth - I dont understand why people are buying them - if its to sell they are going to have a very hard time making a profit