Next Gardiner and Houlgate Auction - March 16th

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    Anyone know how much the Braz OM35 went for, and the 59/60 TV Special, and the shaped Fender tweed case (from the sublime to the ridiculous...).
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Come on then @BloodEagle, Whatdya get?? 

The only thing I was really interested in was one of the road case tool boxes but it went for over £500. I could get one made to my spec for that!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So where are all these silly priced guitars going to mate?
    Bloody hell... didn't realise the buyers were planning on using them as breeding stock.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    So where are all these silly priced guitars going to mate?
    Bloody hell... didn't realise the buyers were planning on using them as breeding stock.
    And let's just hope the bedroom buyers have all been neutered so they can't either!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    fretfinder said: hi
    Anyone know how much the Braz OM35 went for, and the 59/60 TV Special, and the shaped Fender tweed case (from the sublime to the ridiculous...).
    The auction results are here​:
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gardiner-houlgate/catalogue-id-srgard10060

The Special went for about £4.5K with fees and VAT. 

Edit: looks like it hasn't finished yet!

Edit: this is very confusing, did it sell for £5.5K plus (i.e about £7K?)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    I almost bought the thermometer tweed case, it went for £130 I have a Tele without a case so it would have been ideal. At the auction last year when I checked they sold two for £50 each. So this year the bidding went to £100 so I chipped in with £110 and the hammer went down to me but then someone shouted out and it started off again and he apologised at the end. That auctioneer was shite he kept dawdling on the bids before bringing down the hammer. I wasn't assed really, it was plenty enough at £110 plus fees and postage. 
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gardiner-houlgate/catalogue-id-srgard10060

Looks like it went for £3400 plus fees. That's probably below the reserve. It was in their previous auction and didn't meet its reserve. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    Balls. I didn't register because of the silly prices things were going for -- and the only thing I was going to bid on has sold at a knockdown price (the Beyer M88 mic). Oh well.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    just looking at some of the sold prices - very very little chance of me attending, then buying a guitar, taking it back to the shop to sell with a sensible profit - found a couple of items, but hardly enough to justify a day out with time and expensive involved

Yet whilst there were one or two unusual, or  distinctive pieces, many guitars have, in my view, sold for more than you would find a similar guitar listed for on FB, Reverb, E-bay or even in a store
    tFB Trader
    3400 + fees so well over 4K

yet lot 181 - EC 00028 - went for 1200 + fees - don't know if any negative issues on it but on paper looks a good buy

Lot 113 - the LP59/60 went for 3400 + fees so around 4K
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    You've got to hand it to G&H they have garnered an enormous amount of publicity for these last two auctions and its paid off handsomely. Funny though they let the first half dozen auctions go by without much press. They had some serious bargains, like anything you have to be in there early....like ebay in the old days. Yes I am the bloke that bought a nearly new Dennis Galuszka Masterbuilt Tele off a pro pedal steel player in the U.S for £800 back in 2003.....never to be repeated.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader

Lot 181 - EC 00028 - went for 1200 + fees - don't know if any negative issues on it but on paper looks a good buy
    Yes, given that they are nearly 3 times that new maybe it had some issues.

I actually had one here today, they have a huge v-shaped neck that's not for everybody. The owner of this one was bought it when she was 12(!) and busks with it (!!)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2017
    miserneil said:

The only thing I was really interested in was one of the road case tool boxes but it went for over £500. I could get one made to my spec for that!
    @miserneil Not necessarily a bargain, but not overpriced compared to the current going rate either.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I registered to possibly bid on a Gretsh Silver Jet, it went for more than I was prepared to pay considering there were only 2 photos and very few details.  A lot of stuff seemed to go for too much IMO
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:

@miserneil Not necessarily a bargain, but not overpriced compared to the current going rate either.
    I was a touch surprised that did not sell for more than it did - and like you said a sense of normality compared with others - Hope you like it and have a good strong/wide strap and broad shoulders
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2017
    Ive had a Bean before, and own possibly the heavierst guitar ever made in the form of an acrylic Electrical Guitar Company Baritone (14lbs), so I know what Im in for!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nice one @BloodEagle! That looks great! Pal of mine is guitar tech for Foals and they have a couple of these, checked them out at a festival a few years ago, nice guitars :-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Wow someone just paid £1800 plus fees for one of those not so rare 40th Anniversary '54 Strats! Crazy, there's always plenty of them for sale for much less on the net. For that you can buy a Custom Shop. Auction frenzy, and everything seems to be selling now matter how shitty it is. If @guitars4you had some of these in stock they'd still be there years later. Maybe you should start your own live auction Mark and watch punters pay more than retail. 
    just looked closely at this as I had not done so before - initially assumed it was the Masterbuilt version from 2004 in which case the price was good - So now I can see why you were so astonished at the £1800 + fees price - agree crazy
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader

Lot 181 - EC 00028 - went for 1200 + fees - don't know if any negative issues on it but on paper looks a good buy
    Yes, given that they are nearly 3 times that new maybe it had some issues.

I actually had one here today, they have a huge v-shaped neck that's not for everybody. The owner of this one was bought it when she was 12(!) and busks with it (!!)
    must have still been bidding when I first looked - final bid price £2600 + fees so now over 3K - albeit the Ltd Ed version with Madagascar r/wood 

Looks like it went for £3400 plus fees. That's probably below the reserve. It was in their previous auction and didn't meet its reserve. 
    Correction, the last bid on the 59/60 TV Special was £5,500 so £6,820 including fees. Whoever bought that must believe it's the original finish and not a refin.