Any Golfers on the forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• Afternoon out with the youngest today.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well well well this man right here AKA me has just shot a 94. Yes I know some of you are way better and that would be a disappointing score, but for me it's a huge improvement. Mainly because I went back to the beginning yesterday at Toptracer and focused on everything I should be doing. Today I was on the fairways more than I ever remember, played some superb 2nd and 3rd shots. Brilliant morning.

• Well played , be prepared that golf can be so up and down at our level.    Through the winter non comp rounds I was shooting mid  80s regularly with a low of 82 and now I’m struggling to break 95.  

I played  in a board comp last weekend in which I came second on count back 12 months ago with 41 points. This year off 5 lower HCP I shot 19points, with 6 points on the back 9 . Ouch.  

Low ebb for for me atm but the postive is it can only get better from here. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well played , be prepared that golf can be so up and down at our level.   

I have been improving but then hit a spell a couple of weeks back which came to to moving to graphite shafts to help with my shakey right hand but although better I was still in a funk, then yesterday when I went Toptracer and thought about every little aspect of the swing it all sort of came back to me and to then go out this morning and play as I did was real confidence boosting.
  • mozzies aside lovely morning round with the Wife and 9yo Son..

• anyone still playing this time of year?

We still are, My 9 yo now has lessons, I am getting 2+ rounds in a week and my Wife proper has the bug and has upgraded from the RAM set she started with and now has 4-SW Cleveland HB Launchers and a Callaway FTIZ driver and a stunning OGIO cart bag.. better kit than me :(
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4992
    beed84 said:
    These recent golf threads have inspired me to get back into it. I think a lot of people don't understand how good a game it is until they've actually hit a ball. That and being in the middle of nowhere forgetting everything. So, so satisfying.

You have just defined golf.  Well said and so true.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    anyone still playing this time of year?

Yes, but Saturday's (normal three ball with band-mates) is looking like a wet one. 50:50

Play mats & winter greens etc as long as it isn't peeing down
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I played today but totally fucked my intercostal muscles. Can hardly move without pain now.
    It sucks very much
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7542
    I managed to get booked onto a 4-lesson group course - wasn’t able to make the 4th one (yesterday) and there’s a follow-on 6 week group course that I’m pondering doing.

The format doesn’t really allow for much individual attention and overall wasn’t feeling like it was worthwhile - yes it’s cheap but that wasn’t the point really.

I then went and had a 1-2-1 lesson with someone else (one of these indoor places with a launch monitor setup) and that was ace - the teacher was great, the tech was helpful, and I felt like I got a lot more out of that.

Thing is, I don’t see how I make the jump to going out on the course - the one person who said he’d take me out for the first time refuses to contemplate it if any day of that same week has a little raindrop symbol anywhere on its weather forecast (drizzle forecast for 1am? better not risk it....) so I’ve not been out. 

wondering how it will go if I just pole up one day on my own and busk it ... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm barely on here these days for various reasons, but one reason is that I took up golf about 3 years ago.  Guitars have taken a real backburner tbh.

I still play guitar but I'm pretty obsessive with things. I played guitar a good 6 - 10 hours and sometimes even more a day when I was young, if I could get away with practice like that at golf now I'd be chuffed. I practice guitar maybe 2 or 3 hours a week now, but after playing guitar for night on 30 years I'm not so worried about it.

My mum's side of the family are from St Andrews and were famous golf club makers for the royal family apparently too. Forgan for anyone that's interested. My dad is mad on the game too and would have loved for me to take it up but when I tried to learn as a kid I couldn't smash it like Jon Daly so gave up very quickly. You'd think it would be in the blood so to speak but I guess it took a while to ferment. 

Got invited to play in a Texas Scramble 3 years ago and got the bug very badly indeed.

Visit a range probably 3 - 5 times a week now. Play at least twice a week, all through Winter too. Got down to a 12 handicap so some way to go yet, but depressingly enough, I've made more profit playing competitive golf in two years than 20 years of gigging original music.
  • Played on wednesday - pissed down like nothing else... but I still enjoyed it. Lost on the very 18th hole and got totally soaked. 
    Looking forward to another round...

I've played throughout last winter too but it was harsh at times...
    I'll generally play in any conditions.
    Played in snow quite a few times but those red Volvik balls still get lost when it gets deep.
    edited October 2019
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Landed in Faro a few hours ago and playing next three days out here in the Algarve. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited October 2019
    Just got back from sunny southern Spain, played 3 times Los Naranjos, Marbella golf and country club and Torrequebrada

Courses are superb Torrequebrada in particular, weather was perfect and the Mizunos are excellent, will get some pics up in a bit. Spongy fairways take some getting used to though to stop hitting everything fat.

And I will play all year unless its a real wet windy storm.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4319

I play all year round but I've been pretty slack recently purely due to not having the time. I like the fact that courses are a bit emptier this time of year, and the rain makes the greens more receptive.

I hate umbrellas, so generally stick on the Galvin Greens and a bucket hat.

The guy who I normally play with is playing down at Remedy Oak in Wimbourne today. Lovely weather for it lol.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    I havent been out for nearly 3 weeks due to the last time i was out i got bit on the shin by some orrible wee beastie, which then became infected and i ended up with a 12 day course of Antibiotics to clear it. 

Moral of the story stay out of the rough if your wearing shorts. 

i now have a lovely hole in the front of my shin which is still not healed 
  • My eldest lad today standing where he last hit the ball... where is the ball? It's in the hole :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom