Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited May 2022
    stumbled on these tear down vids on youtube. no idea id he knows his stuff or not as I know nothing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I found these interesting, for a few reasons.
    I like all the design choices on the Klon, wondered if he got the ribbon cable replaced, doesn't say, but it does look like a well made pedal.
    The Fake plastic trees, seems a bit weird to me, very expensive, for not a lot of hardware, and it looks like a lot has been spent on making the circuit into a mass produced device- all SMC, and at that price I would hope that the DC jack is up to the task, possibly not (circuit board mounted ), the switch looks wasted in there, and the enclosure definitely has room for a battery?
    At least the Klon allows for this, but nothing to stop it rattling around, you don't get much for your money.
    I just ordered another full kit from Fuzzdog, desperately need something to keep me occupied, for some obvious reasons.
    RIP Stu.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @andy_k the fake plastic trees aesthetic and internals couldn't be further apart really. I think they used a clicky switch to give it a homemade sort of feel. I would have hoped for nearly £400 they could hand solder a few sockets
    roberty said:
    @andy_k the fake plastic trees aesthetic and internals couldn't be further apart really. I think they used a clicky switch to give it a homemade sort of feel. I would have hoped for nearly £400 they could hand solder a few sockets
    Hmmm,
    this vid makes it all look very homebrew doesn't it, note the pile of Fake plastic tree pedals, and the shed look of the workshop.

Nice work if you can make it stick.
    Maybe, the teardown video was a FAKE, Fake plastic trees?????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134
    My wife made a couple more faceplates for me, one for a dual EP boost/Eternity Burst clone that I did a poor job of decorating- 

And one for an Otalgia Violet Rams Head that I thought deserved dressing up - 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    andy_k said:
    roberty said:
    Hmmm,
    this vid makes it all look very homebrew doesn't it, note the pile of Fake plastic tree pedals, and the shed look of the workshop.

Nice work if you can make it stick.
    Stone Deaf look similar inside but they don't cost quite as much. I got their noise gate for around £100 the construction is similar
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Just finished these: Fuzzdog Omega boost (Rangemastery, maybe a teeny bit smoother) & Tubebender. Case art made with Posca pens and an Envirotex Lite top coat.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I didn’t get any build pics, but here’s a couple of things I put together in the last week or so, to pass some difficult time.

A couple of Fuzzdogs, went a bit upmarket this time with the powder coated boxes, and some spiffy knobs.

I mainly play single channel amps, and am always looking for ways to get more out of them in the smallest package, and to be honest I wish I had a bigger bit of wood to get a Klone in front of these two, I am powering them with a 3 way daisy chain and a single 9v rechargeable, so the walnut ‘board’ may get an upgrade to accommodate the Klone.

This is one of my favorite drive pedals, the ‘Angry Andy’ into something I haven’t tried before, a double ‘Boner Boost’, which makes my single channel amp into a 3 channel, at least.

The AA has a switch for 25 /  50 / 100 watt modes, which is just switching some diodes, but it does give 3 very different levels of gain, and the ‘Air’ and ‘EQ’ knobs seem to help to get some nice brightness back into the tone.

The BBx2 is basically 2 sets of clean boost, with a master volume at the end, which is useful to get a bit of punch when needed, and is also good for getting a bit of drive on a clean sound depending on the amp I am using.

Both are true bypass, so if the battery dies I can still make some noise until I can swap it out, but it is only really a for bit of fun at home.

The AA always amazes me for how much it does - for so few parts, and they both only took me a couple of hours each to slap together, not hard to build at all, but pretty neat kits, usual high Fuzzdog standard.

Front

Back

• SporkySporky Frets: 28328
    roberty said:
    There is definite disconnect there. Machine made and pick & place assembly. Carefully window dressed workshop. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited May 2022
    Did this Fuzz Dog kit build for a friend (Musso)

It was a bit neater at first but I pulled the switch out to change the CLR

Kept some legs on the transistor because they are getting rare

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27049
    Nice. You guys are all so productive it's making me look bad! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Those don't look terrible so probably just have minor things wrong (parts backwards and/or cooked transistors is my bet). But the fact he currently has 15 PCBs all marked not working is a bit of a concern...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited May 2022
    Has anyone made the Fuzzdogs Prince of Tone clone - any good? Having just tried and really liked an original Bluesbreaker I wouldn't mind trying the PoT circuit without spending a small fortune. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    roberty said:

That's strange. Wonder what the story is? 
    TTBZ said:
    Has anyone made the Fuzzdogs Prince of Tone clone - any good? Having just tried and really liked an original Bluesbreaker I wouldn't mind trying the PoT circuit without spending a small fortune. 
    I haven't but I did do the KOT in lockdown #1. Good build and a great pedal. The POT circuit is very similar, and I've been tempted to do one myself
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    TTBZ said:
    Yes I have, and I have an original Bluesbreaker - I wanted that sort of sound but in a smaller box. They’re similar, the PoT is tighter in the bottom end, in a good way. Maybe also a touch more gain. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    Maybe the seller means "not finished" rather than "not working"?