NAM: neural amp modeler

What's Hot

Comments

• Just had a first play with NAM tonight and so far very happy with what I was hearing!

There's so many available amps on ToneHunt, I didn't know where to start.
    Stumbled across a channel on YouTube demoing a few of the higher gain amps, which may appeal to some;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The more I play around with NAM captures, the more I wish Kemper could allow for the use of .nam files on the unit. That would change the game massively. It’ll never happen, but to have both Kemper profiles and NAM captures in the same unit would be immense. Utilising all the other cool stuff on the Kemper alongside a NAM capture would be amazing. It’s open source after all. Wishful daydreaming though.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 350
    edited September 2023
    DaveMon said:
    There's so many available amps on ToneHunt, I didn't know where to start.
    Tip: sort by "Popular" to find the best amp models.

You can also use the NAM fx with other software, one of my favourites being the NAM drive/fuzz pedals into Helix Native.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 23
    Vintage65 said:
    How many snapshots would it take to comprehensively model a typical FX pedal?
    "Today, I'm releasing ParametricOD, a plugin that uses NAM's parametric modeling capabilities to give you a model of my overdrive pedal that is accurate across the full range of the pedal's knobs and switches" - Steven Atkinson.

Drive

Further info here: https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/post/the-first-publicly-available-parametric-neural-amp-model
    NAM hardware now available with 0.5ms latency. It's still early days, but looks promising.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2922
    Where are you guys finding good NAM captures? I've been on Tonehunt but they vary from great to shite, how do you vet them? Are the Amalgam ones worth paying for? 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9926
    I've only used a couple but luckily they were both good ones - cranked Silvertone and slightly boosted Vibroverb, but both were from ToneHunt and played through the Genome software. I think I saw there are free Amalgam captures on there, I can't remember if the Vibroverb one was one of theirs actually. Might be worth finding them first and seeing what they are like for you as I assume they are only there as a kind of sampler for their paid stuff
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DeftDeft Frets: 31
    TTBZ said:
    Where are you guys finding good NAM captures? I've been on Tonehunt but they vary from great to shite, how do you vet them? Are the Amalgam ones worth paying for? 

When I find one I like I tend to see if that user has created any others:

https://tonehunt.org/danielnguyen (Great sounding TK Imperial capture)

There's also some free Amalgam ones but with limited settings:

edited May 25
    TTBZ said:
    Search with the Popular option on Tonehunt and use the number of downloads as a rough guide. You will have to test the newer ones yourself.

I sort the captures into directories, e.g. Clean, Breakup, Rock, Metal, etc., and then I unzip each category into it's own folder. This makes it easier to navigate through a collection of similar amps. After that I reamp a riff to find the best sounding amps using the forward/backward selector on the NAM plugin.

It's a bit convoluted but I can't think of a simpler way, and there's not much else you can do as that is the only functionality available at the moment.
    edited May 25
    Cheers, those TimR Splawn captures sound pretty good to me! This guy has some great sounding stuff as well, loving the Uberschall and his Mark IV clone

https://tonehunt.org/emil.rohbe
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3729
    It has become my go to plug-in.  

I have set up a series of DAW profiles I can load with various rigs - clean, crunch, blues, rich, metal,.. . Rhythm and lead tracks all set. 
    edited May 25

I have set up a series of DAW profiles I can load with various rigs - clean, crunch, blues, rich, metal,.. . Rhythm and lead tracks all set. 
    The good thing is this technology is still in it's infancy, and it's true potential is yet to be seen. The ability to clone fx pedals and the tone controls on amps is already here, we are just waiting it's implementation.
    Spent the evening playing with NAM, really liking those Splawn ProMod captures the most! Sounds and feels great, once I found the captures I liked the best I didn't do any tweaking or tone hunting. I am tempted to try the Amalgam BE-100 pack though as I haven't found any lower gain Marshally stuff that I love yet. 
    edited May 28

I've done something similar, got a few different tracks setup with clean/crunch/heavy rhythm/lead that I can toggle between (may get a midi foot controller for this) - it's great having the world of free vst effects to try new stuff out as well. Currently messing around with some compression into the DC30 captures with Valhalla Supermassive after it for a huge ambient clean tone. 
    TTBZ said:

I've done something similar, got a few different tracks setup with clean/crunch/heavy rhythm/lead that I can toggle between (may get a midi foot controller for this) - it's great having the world of free vst effects to try new stuff out as well. Currently messing around with some compression into the DC30 captures with Valhalla Supermassive after it for a huge ambient clean tone. 
    I like the NAM OD, Fuzz & Distortion pedals, and you can use them with other VST too. They sound great with Helix Native, and I even reamp them through the Kemper.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3483
    Tried a Dual Rec capture last night that absolutely blew me away, and in my humble opinion, blew away sounds I’ve been getting on the Tonex plugin, too.

But was discouraged to read on the FB forum that capture submissions to Tone Hunt have slowed down quite a bit in recent months and the whole NAM hype has died down. 

I know we hate capitalism, but I can’t help but think that NAM would massively benefit from a big commercial release like Tonex did with the two pedals. But for me, it’d have to be from a reputable company, to have a bit of weight behind it. I can’t say I’m overly keen on some of these somewhat cheap looking designs/pedals I’ve seen knocking about that can play NAM captures. I may be being harsh here, but they don’t look as rugged and reliable as something like the Tonex (which itself has issues).

edited May 29
    Tried a Dual Rec capture last night that absolutely blew me away, and in my humble opinion, blew away sounds I’ve been getting on the Tonex plugin, too.

But was discouraged to read on the FB forum that capture submissions to Tone Hunt have slowed down quite a bit in recent months and the whole NAM hype has died down. 

I know we hate capitalism, but I can’t help but think that NAM would massively benefit from a big commercial release like Tonex did with the two pedals. But for me, it’d have to be from a reputable company, to have a bit of weight behind it. I can’t say I’m overly keen on some of these somewhat cheap looking designs/pedals I’ve seen knocking about that can play NAM captures. I may be being harsh here, but they don’t look as rugged and reliable as something like the Tonex (which itself has issues).
    It's open source, so anything could happen, and I think that is the hope of the developer. Nobody has captured an amp tone stack yet, or the control functionality of a fx pedal. Anyway, I have more than enough amps to keep me going for a while!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3483
    edited May 29
    Vintage65 said:

It's open source, so anything could happen, and I think that is the hope of the developer. Nobody has captured an amp tone stack yet, or control functionality of a fx pedal. Anyway, I have more than enough amps to keep me going for a while!
    Yes, I read something that alluded to him wanting a larger organisation to take the hardware side of things by the balls. Yeah, there's plenty of amps there, but I would absolutely love a Tonex style NAM pedal to play them on.

I'm hoping Two Notes eventually release Genome in hardware form/Opus V2 kinda thing and keep the capture player as part of it too. I'm only currently playing at home so playing through my DAW is fine, but would be nice to have a decent bit of hardware to take it to gigs etc.