Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26714
    Cabicular said:
    With SS power sections? I didn't know that I saw Vai fairly recently and he was still using his legacy and fender combination on stage
    Was just editing to be clearer, but yes - Vai uses it for effects, but Metallica and Periphery use them direct to PA and monitors.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's a legitimate statement anyway I'm not Steve Vai and my stage setup is less well catered for than Metallicas. In the past when I've tried to use things like the hd500 into the stagescape set up it has just got clangy and lost.
  • Cabicular said:
    With SS power sections? I didn't know that I saw Vai fairly recently and he was still using his legacy and fender combination on stage
    Vai only uses an AxeFx as an effects unit. He still uses Legacy Mk1 as his core tone
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd agree with that to an extent. I had the same experience when using the Axe FXII into a Marshall Valvestate unit. And it sounded crap going into the return of a valve poweramp - although I probably didn't spend enough time tweaking.

The Kemper sounded good when I profiled my Diezel as a direct profile, and then ran it back into the effects loop of the same amp. But not much point in doing that in a live situation!!

I'm mostly looking at Helix as an effects board. And bear in mind... this thing pisses all over the TC G-System in terms of flexibility... and the TC was over a grand for the longest time that I remember. I think the price is fine, no issue with it at all.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26714
    Cabicular said:
    It's a legitimate statement anyway I'm not Steve Vai and my stage setup is less well catered for than Metallicas. In the past when I've tried to use things like the hd500 into the stagescape set up it has just got clangy and lost.
    Why not ask @Clarky? He uses an Axe FX with a solid state Matrix setup, just like tons of people do - and it sounds great.

The problem here is that you're comparing your experience in the budget end of modelling with the high-end stuff. Totally different ballpark; hell, even the Eleven Rack is streets ahead of the HD500 in terms of sound quality.
    <space for hire>
  • Cabicular said:
    Was just editing to be clearer, but yes - Vai uses it for effects, but Metallica and Periphery use them direct to PA and monitors.
    Periphery also run cabs with SS power amps on stage (but PA feed is direct). The Offspring are running a similar setup these days too.
  • Personally I think it looks and sounds awesome. Too complex (and expensive) for me but I'm seriously impressed.

The comment about SS not competing with drummers is just bizarre. Just ask anyone with a PA system or a bass player with a modern amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I don't know who they are The minute I can plug one in and not be swamped by the drummer I'm in I'm onboard with modelling at the front end I've got w lot of time into the M13 and I've got it sounding pretty big In fact the last time Mr Hindmarsh saw me he thought it was the drive from my amp rather than the screamer tube driver stack I use in the m13 I'll get my hands on a Helix and see if I am there yet
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited August 2015
    I've been sat here for over 2 hrs watching the Andertons video again and going back through all the Sean Halley demos 'in the studio' and the sweetwater videos etc

For me personally it's a now a clear case that the Andertons team have done their usual trick of capturing what should be a great tone and then proceeding to murder it.  

My ears pricked up immediately as soon as I heard the  Sean Halley tones again. They are really really  good 

The Andertons demo sounds like shit to my ears.

Count me back in 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry about the block of text... Bloody iPad posting Also sorry if you are having a rough night DS no hard feelings
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm debating giving one of these or the new ax8 a try when it comes out - I'll be very interested to see how people are finding them after a few weeks use.      I had each generation of pod up to the x3,  pod 2, xt, xtpro, flextone 2&3, vetta, x3live.  I ran them into a ton of different power amps, combo's,  stacks and active cabs.   I could get amazing sounds at home but all the tweaking was trying to get a sound that came through a mix live and felt right.       I knowI could have just paid the extra for an axefx that does work but became tired of menu's I went back to traditional amps and was happy, 

These demo's sound like a big step forward and it could do with a board I can have a set of  fx patches for a combo, a set for 4cm with a stack and decent models for recording.   The debate will whether the helix or ax8 has the most intuitive and quick editing and which feels better - line6 have timed the release perfectly to have a headstart on the ax8.  

Going back to the points about the xt upgrades.  That's how I remember it - being excited about each upgrade to the firmware until it suddenly sounded odd and I had the choice to roll back or get the model packs, I bought them but I'd have been happier with the previous set of models and the model packs. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I tell ya, if this thing turns out to be a major let down for some reason... I don't know what I'll do. Putting this next to the Fractal FX8... it's just no contest.

I'd probably just stick with what I've got in terms of single pedals, and maybe add another H9.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Does anyone know what the full list of amps are?

I can't find anything
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Personally I think it looks and sounds awesome. Too complex (and expensive) for me but I'm seriously impressed.

The comment about SS not competing with drummers is just bizarre. Just ask anyone with a PA system or a bass player with a modern amp.

Neither of those things are guitars though Fine if it's not an issue for you mate (and for certain types of music it really isn't' . It is for me for what I play and I'm sure other players must feel the same way?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Cabicular said:
    Why not ask @Clarky? He uses an Axe FX with a solid state Matrix setup, just like tons of people do - and it sounds great.

The problem here is that you're comparing your experience in the budget end of modelling with the high-end stuff. Totally different ballpark; hell, even the Eleven Rack is streets ahead of the HD500 in terms of sound quality.
    yup.. I have a Axe-FX II -> Matrix GT1000FX -> two Marshall 4x12 cabs
    it's always sounded great, but over the last 6 months or so there have been many power amp modelling improvements and now it's sounding wonderful..
    the GT1000FX is very powerful and very transparent
    play every note as if it were your first
  • That 5150 tone on the andertons video. Geez.

This looks amazing.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Sounds great to me.. I was waiting for an AX8 but might not now.. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    Problem I have with all this is that SS equipment just doesn't compete with a live drummer
    Maybe this will be there one that will be different
    If not they are getting close
    I know. The regular complaints from people who can't hear the guitars at Steve Vai, Metallica and Periphery gigs are proof of that.

Oh, wait.

:P

Arsehole Sarcasm aside Steve Vai and Metallica known for using solid state amps? They certainly weren't when I saw them live..Carvins Fender twins and dual rectifiers were very much the order of the day And for the record I did say I liked the sound the issue is is it ready to plug straight in the PA and do away with say my Matchless I know Paul does (but he spends all his time demoing this stuff so is more comfortable with it.) I also know he used to run it though the fx loop to use the power section of a vintage modern head because in rock it's hard to compete with a valve power section Pantera did I guess but to be honest I couldn't hear Dimebags guitar very well live. ( although that may have been the night, I saw Vai on the sex and religion tour in Madrid and couldn't hear a not he was playing due to the sound guys mixing from the balcony)
    All three of those acts use Fractal Axe FX IIs live (EDIT: being less sarcastic. Rough night). Which is why I mentioned them.
    Regardless of your musical tastes you could do worse than check out recent Dweezil Zappa live footage ( there's a rig rundown somewhere as well). He uses two Axe FX, no valve amps. It's a very complex rig but he produces a lot of different tones - including some very warm, fat bluesy tones. Part of his argument is that this is much closer to the audience hearing the same thing wherever they are seated ( no spill from big valve amps to the front rows) and although it's complex doing the same things with valve amps and pedals and rack gear ( although he still uses additional pedals to the Axe) would take a warehouse of stuff. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    Problem I have with all this is that SS equipment just doesn't compete with a live drummer
    I know. The regular complaints from people who can't hear the guitars at Steve Vai, Metallica and Periphery gigs are proof of that.

Oh, wait.

Arsehole Sarcasm aside Steve Vai and Metallica known for using solid state amps? They certainly weren't when I saw them live..Carvins Fender twins and dual rectifiers were very much the order of the day And for the record I did say I liked the sound the issue is is it ready to plug straight in the PA and do away with say my Matchless I know Paul does (but he spends all his time demoing this stuff so is more comfortable with it.) I also know he used to run it though the fx loop to use the power section of a vintage modern head because in rock it's hard to compete with a valve power section Pantera did I guess but to be honest I couldn't hear Dimebags guitar very well live. ( although that may have been the night, I saw Vai on the sex and religion tour in Madrid and couldn't hear a not he was playing due to the sound guys mixing from the balcony)
    All three of those acts use Fractal Axe FX IIs live (EDIT: being less sarcastic. Rough night). Which is why I mentioned them.
    Regardless of your musical tastes you could do worse than check out recent Dweezil Zappa live footage ( there's a rig rundown somewhere as well). He uses two Axe FX, no valve amps. It's a very complex rig but he produces a lot of different tones - including some very warm, fat bluesy tones. Part of his argument is that this is much closer to the audience hearing the same thing wherever they are seated ( no spill from big valve amps to the front rows) and although it's complex doing the same things with valve amps and pedals and rack gear ( although he still uses additional pedals to the Axe) would take a warehouse of stuff. 

the thing with the Axe that puts folk of is that it's "so complex"..

thing is.. it don't need to be.. it's up to you [the preset creator].. if you just want amp / cab and maybe a stomp or two, then build presets like that.. it's really simple.. but if you have needs that are a bit more exotic, you can just go mental with the config, line up all the hoops and I'd expect the Axe will be able to jump through pretty much all of them..

play every note as if it were your first
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:

Oh, wait.

I'm a big fan. I've been to see him several times and have been pretty active on his forum. He was still using the Cornford stuff on the last tour I saw.
    I'm not adverse to the idea I just haven't tried it yet.