I'm too fat - help !

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    So you're old, overweight, and you hate exercise... 

Golf, man. Play it. John Daly won major championships whilst drinking and smoking and enjoying plenty of minge. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    octatonic said:
    I'm fairly sure that the Emp will have had a consultant tell him to change his diet. And yet his tea was deep fried food washed down with pints of beer. Is he in denial? Stupid? Depressed? Or do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong 

I don't know Emp personally and I am simply not qualified to make an accurate assessment of his state of mind.

Neither are the rest of Fretboard forum members, but it doesn't stop us.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    octatonic said:
    I'm fairly sure that the Emp will have had a consultant tell him to change his diet. And yet his tea was deep fried food washed down with pints of beer. Is he in denial? Stupid? Depressed? Or do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong 

I don't know Emp personally and I am simply not qualified to make an accurate assessment of his state of mind.

Neither are the rest of Fretboard forum members, but it doesn't stop us.
    LOL.
    Good point.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    mike_l said:
       Or do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong things?
    There's a world of difference between saying "I want to lose weight" and "I'm going to lose weight".

I have awarded you a wisdom for this sage point, Mr. L.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Evilmags;302148" said:
    I went from 15 stone to 13 stone in four months just by quitting beer and exercise.
    I've done half of this plan, I quit the exercise. I also only do one night of booze a week.;)

Today I discovered that since Saturday 18th January I have gained a rise in my power to weight ratio by 4 stone.

What has kept me on track is weighing myself daily and putting it on a spreadsheet. That way every day I lose a bit of weight is a victory against the fat disgrace I used to be. In fact the person I used to be is psychologically someone else. He was a wasteful idiot who's only contribution to society was funding fast food joints and taxis for short, easily walkable, journeys.

@Clarky will tell you what a sorry excuse for a human being I was at Christmas.

I've just had twelve weeks of hotel life, which tested my will power, but apart from a minor lapse I managed to beat it. I believe that this is down to not going on a diet, but changing my lifestyle when it came to food. Once I got into it, and started seeing results I didn't want to go back.

Emp, there are people on here who will help you, but only if you want to help yourself. You have got to want to do it for yourself.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    ^
    Presumably the 'Handsome' part of your name is a recent addition then Chris?
  • It was a title I lost and had to win back.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Handsome_Chris;302696" said:
    It was a title I lost and had to win back.
    Congratulations on your win!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I lost a stone in three weeks, radiotherapy to the larynx f***s up your ability to swallow painlessly, when food becomes torture you stop. I survived on yoghurt, trifle, and saliva.

So to all those who have nothing spare around the midriff, better not get ill. Me I keep a little by for a rainy day.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    hywelg said:
    I lost a stone in three weeks, radiotherapy to the larynx f***s up your ability to swallow painlessly, when food becomes torture you stop. I survived on yoghurt, trifle, and saliva.

So to all those who have nothing spare around the midriff, better not get ill. Me I keep a little by for a rainy day.
    Saliva as a dessert and not a starter? Very swish :)

edited July 2014
    It was a title I lost and had to win back.
    I look at it this way- I'd rather suffer on my own terms.
    Exercise: no one really loves being in pain, being tired and sore but it has its rewards.
    Being fat and unhappy is WAAAAY worse.

Congrats mate- I saw a pic on Facebook recently- you're looking really good- initially I wasn't sure it was you.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Firstly, all the best to Hwyelg - me being a fatty is chicken shit to what he's enduring.  I hope you get that shit sorted soon squire.

As for why I sabotage myself...  I think it's pretty much as I said in my original post...  I love food and I hate exercise.  If you haven't got it, I'll restate it... I lurrrrrrrrvvvvvve food and I find exercise so boring I'd rather smack myself in the bollocks with a ruler for half an hour.  I also LOVE FOOD.  I love cooking and eating what I've cooked.

In short, I have no willpower.  I'm also on a low dose of an anti-anxiety tablet as I was having panic attacks around the time of my heart attack, and they seem to have left me with very little ability to worry about anything.  I know what I'm doing is likely to be injurious to my long term survival, but, in much the same way smokers know how dangerous it is, it doesn't seem to register deeply enough to make me change my ways.  In fact, the only reason I'm even contemplating dieting and getting fitter is for vanity's sake, not to reduce my chances of an early death.  I just don't want to look like a fat bastard.

@Holnrew Thanks for asking, but everything is great at home.  I'm just a contented fat bugger who throws caution to the wind.

I seriously have very little willpower.  I've just come back from a night out with my co-workers, another couple of pints, burger and chips, and still felt the need to eat a packet of crisps and two biscuits whilst typing this in bed.  I wasn't even hungry for them.
    I think once I make a serious effort and see the weight coming off, I'll be more motivated to stay on the straight and narrow.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi Emp, 

It is a chicken/egg thing with you then?
    You need to see results before you can put in the work.
    It won't happen.
    I'm sorry but it simply won't.

You have to be disciplined.
    You have to be informed and make intelligent food choices.
    You have to enjoy saying 'no' to yourself and you have to convince yourself that you enjoy exercise.

That is a lot of 'You' statements but ultimately that is who it comes down to... You.
    It is your life- you can live it anyway you wish but you also have to accept the consequences.
    Good luck mate.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Consequences being, early death and a painful one at that most likely. Also your balls will shrink, and your crown will no longer fit your head due to booze-swellage.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^
    Much tough love in evidence....

My ex-wife's brother always used to justify his smoking and heavy drinking by trotting out the 'I could be run over by a bus tomorrow' argument.

In his case he is usually so p155ed that crossing the road will inevitably prove a challenge....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I know how hard it can be. My stomach is eating itself and I'm still eating shit food that I know will irritate it. It's total comfort eating though because I'm sad and lonely.
    My V key is broken
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Emp_Fab said:
    Firstly, all the best to Hwyelg - me being a fatty is chicken shit to what he's enduring.  I hope you get that shit sorted soon squire.

As for why I sabotage myself...  I think it's pretty much as I said in my original post...  I love food and I hate exercise.  If you haven't got it, I'll restate it... I lurrrrrrrrvvvvvve food and I find exercise so boring I'd rather smack myself in the bollocks with a ruler for half an hour.  I also LOVE FOOD.  I love cooking and eating what I've cooked.

In short, I have no willpower.  I'm also on a low dose of an anti-anxiety tablet as I was having panic attacks around the time of my heart attack, and they seem to have left me with very little ability to worry about anything.  I know what I'm doing is likely to be injurious to my long term survival, but, in much the same way smokers know how dangerous it is, it doesn't seem to register deeply enough to make me change my ways.  In fact, the only reason I'm even contemplating dieting and getting fitter is for vanity's sake, not to reduce my chances of an early death.  I just don't want to look like a fat bastard.

@Holnrew Thanks for asking, but everything is great at home.  I'm just a contented fat bugger who throws caution to the wind.

I seriously have very little willpower.  I've just come back from a night out with my co-workers, another couple of pints, burger and chips, and still felt the need to eat a packet of crisps and two biscuits whilst typing this in bed.  I wasn't even hungry for them.
    I think once I make a serious effort and see the weight coming off, I'll be more motivated to stay on the straight and narrow.

sorry matey… but you're just going to get bigger and bigger..
    the thing with all that shite food is that it's so loaded with sugars and salts and chemicals and junk that'll the "I don't need / want to eat anything else" switch never kicks in..
    I notice this on my fat day.. once you start eating all the shite, there's no off switch.. so you keep shovelling it in no matter if you're hungry or not.. you're just eating because you can't stop / don't want to stop..

when your food is timetabled and specific [and clean of extra sugars / salts / shite] you know you'll be eating something specific every 3 three hours, and if it ain't on the list it don't get ate.. but also, the "I've had enough to eat" switch kicks in.. sure it's dull, but you're almost never hungry..

the only thing I can guess is that your sense of vanity is not able to overcome the chemicals in the food that encourage you to graze.. the shit in what you eat is chemically tricking your brain into eating more of it..
    so… you're making yourself a victim of your own choices..
    the way out is to break the cycle and try a month of getting the crap out of your system with one 'eat for fun' day per week.. 
    and then see how you feel

and if you choose to love shit food that much and not do anything about it.. your vanity will just have to accept it and get used to seeing something getting steadily bigger and more unpleasant looking back from the mirror…
    the choice is yours matey..

seriously… this is exactly the conversation I had with myself 18 months ago..
    I made my choice out of self loathing.. and ended up in a far better place.. 
    no longer a slave to the shit the very clever food manufacturers hide in their food to ensure you keep eating it..
    and no turning back..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited July 2014
    just had a thought… I wonder if you'll still need anxiety tabs if you stopped eating and drinking so much stuff that's really bad for you..

cos I noticed that as my diet cleaned up, and the weight fell off, my state of mind improved hugely..
    everything seems so much more optimistic.. a more "can do / will do" attitude too..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Oh dear.
    As I said before, you must eat to live, not live to eat if you are ever going to become healthy.
    I wish you the best of luck.
  • One thing I noticed when i started to eat properly was that my appetite went down.  I looked forward to the first Faturday and I'd dropped about 5 lbs (not unusual for a change in diet).  When I got my usual portion of food, it was a struggle to finish it - I managed though.  Now my appetite has reduced, along with my weight.

I don't want to sound like a diet evangelist, but it is actually very easy to do if you commit to it.  Once you feel how good it is to see those scales coming down, you'll wonder why you weren't doing it sooner.  Do not let other people hold you back or what they say discourage you from getting to where you want to be. I spent twelve weeks in a hotel with people ribbing me about what I was eating, one of them is now 22 stone! Fk that shit.  Be responsible for your own happiness.

Emp, why do you want to lose weight?  If it was from a fear of dieing? Is it a fear of leaving Mrs Emp on her own with young Pugsley?  Is it because you know what people think of fatties?

Once the lbs start to fall off, people will start looking at you in a different light. You'll start getting positive feedback and your weight loss will help motivate itself, you'll feel better too. Give it six months you'll be needing a weapons grade shitty stick to be beating 'em off with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom