Free Guitar ... and the WINNER is ...

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
edited March 2014 in Guitar
Well, almost, I just thought that was the easiest way to make sure everybody read it.

But it is kinda true.

Back in the early days of tFB, I did a 'How to Jooky' thread with a guitar body @John_P gave me to play with.

At the same time @TTony also sent me a body to disfigure, but then I forgot about it (at least until I opened a cupboard and it landed on my foot.)

The body is rather lovely. TTony made it himself out of wood, surprisingly,  and a rather interesting and groovy thing it looks too. A good weight to it - I have the blackened nails to prove it.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to raise a few bob for the forum's coffers, so I've decided to turn his lovely work into something a tad odder, like a whole guitar and then give it away.

But who to give it away to?

Well, I was thinking of an auction or a raffle, but I figured that that was all a bit complicated so instead I went simpler.

So this is how it will work.

1. Between now and when the guitar is finished, I'll do a little foto thread of the WIP.

2. In it I will encourage folks to make a donation to the forum's coffers (I'm sure TTony can provide the Paypal address here.)

Edit: The forum's PayPal addy is theFretBoard@outlook.com

3. On the day that it is finished I will post fotos, and ask TTony to randomly select one person from those that have donated to the cause, between today and when the guitar is completed. (Edited: 20/12/13)

4. I will try and remove jammy fingerprints from the guitar and then post it to the generous soul as a personal thank you for being a really cool guy.

This obviously has nothing to do with the forum, just a personal thing.

So, if you fancy a Jooky but have been put off by actually having to buy one, why not take a chance on me (take a chance, take a chance) and you could possibly pick one up on the cheap whilst helping this place avoid the dimming of lights.

As for the guitar, it is a Telecaster type of body, will have a lovely Jazzmaster/CBS neck, rosewood/maple, bound and blocked. Pickups will be tasty special (don't know what they will be yet, but as I've just made something with a Tele pickup at the bridge and a Goldfoil at the neck and it is sir-weet - that might be an option). Tuners Sperzels, Bridge Hipshot hardtail or trad Tele, finish - haven't decided yet.

So dig deep chaps and for once you may get your reward without relying on sneaking thru the Pearly Gates

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/erikryman/Xmas 2013 Ebay/009.jpg
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/erikryman/Xmas 2013 Ebay/010.jpg

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27509

@JookyChap - thank you, sir, for another of your ridiculously generous actions.

:)

As everyone can see, the body is a little "odd" to begin with, and I'm sure the attentions of Mr Jooky will only make it odder, but in an entirely good way!

The forum's PayPal addy is theFretBoard@outlook.com

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cheers m'dears :)

I think the important bit is that lots of people make little donations rather than getting epic and trying to outbid each other. Maybe a small donation when people flog something via the Classifieds and avoid all those heinous ebay fees, that sort of thing...

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If you're hoping to get people to make lots of little bids, might it be easier to pick a random two digit number and get people to donate random amounts (like £4.63)? Closest to the number gets the guitar. Pick the number at random at the end, so there can't be any doubt about the random nature.
    @DeeTee - I know what you mean, but to be honest I wanted to make it as easy as possible. I wouldn't stop anybody making a big donation :) just better if people don't make big donations and the ones that don't get the guitar get bugged about it..

That might of course be a scurrilous plan so that I can make a single medium sized donation and snaffle the prize.

You just never know ;)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Brilliant idea mr Jooky sir. 

I might suggest anyone making a donation be entered into the raffle, or it may discourage people from shoving us a fiver etc. 

I might suggest anyone making a donation be entered into the raffle, or it may discourage people from shoving us a fiver etc. 
    A raffle rather than top amount wins - yes, a better idea. I'll change the above, that is what we'll do...

tFB Trader
    Top stuff :D
    OK - changed it has been.

To be clear then, TTony will randomly select one person who has made a donation to the FretBoard forum between today and whatever day the guitar is finished, inclusively. I will then send them the guitar. Simple. :)

tFB Trader
    I've made it a sticky!

I've made it a sticky!
    I got a bit excited about it too...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great idea.

Roughly how long do you think it'll take to finish? Not looking for a specific deadline but I just want to make sure if I wait until next pay day, I'm not missing out!
    It depends on the finish really. I'd hope by the end of January

• Cool idea and very generous of course.

I'll chuck a couple of quid the forum's way in January.

• Nice one, Jooky. :)
    When making a donation, please add "Jooky" to the reference. 

That way I'll know why you're sending the ££s, and it won't get mixed up with the hundreds of other donations that we get each month.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    That is amazingly generous. I'd almost feel guilty donating now...
    (but not that guilty)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

And the first contribution is gratefully received, from a slightly unexpected donor!

:)

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    TTony said:

And the first contribution is gratefully received, from a slightly unexpected donor!

If it's some guy saying he wants to put a tele pickup in the neck, give him a refund.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    So I'm going to fire up the lappy and donate.

Lovely gesture from jooky, who is probably the nicest man alive.

I like the plan - I'm super skint, so I wouldn't be able to donate much. But if every little helps... :)

Edit: if you need any parts jooky, I might have a few bits laying around.  No promises mind, I've given quite a lot away!
    So I'm going to fire up the lappy and donate.

Lovely gesture from jooky, who is probably the nicest man alive.

I like the plan - I'm super skint, so I wouldn't be able to donate much. But if every little helps... :)

Edit: if you need any parts jooky, I might have a few bits laying around.  No promises mind, I've given quite a lot away!
    Cheers Paul - if I get stuck I'll give you a shout :)