Free Guitar ... and the WINNER is ...

What's Hot

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    OK, Tuesday. Or is it Wednesday?

Anyway, progress has been made and below you can (hopefully) see the finishing of the body.

Step 1. : Front and back has been covered with an active bronze paint - basically a light acrylic with loads of bronze powder in it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mw0glsJXHYc/UuevkTW0hDI/AAAAAAAAGzM/M1jE345Ob3c/s1600/IMG_5230.JPG

Step 2. Which I forgot to fotograph, basically was more coats of bronze to the top, but also some similarly active copper paint. I like the mix of the two and it gives a nice texture when we come to corrode it.

Step 3. Here I've just attacked the top of the guitar with an acidy concoction, and the blue/green-ness you can see is the copper and bronze in the paint being corroded. Only the top layer of the paints will ever corrode as I've put a coat of something swish between the two to act as a barrier.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0fdYU_9vA7o/Uuevm3wvRrI/AAAAAAAAGzU/zE6W6uFsE1A/s1600/IMG_5234.JPG

Step 4. The next step was to cover the top with a mix of waxes, which basically means that the corrosion will carry on, on the very top layer of the paints, but the wax will stop you getting blue/green patches on your clothes and hands and all that. The back hasn't been corroded, but will over time, especially where you rub thru the wax and expose it to the air.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--XOyxRogHKg/UuevsOAPAzI/AAAAAAAAGzc/mWoYc1Qoo3A/s1600/IMG_5236.JPG
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QBxhCPnWCWE/UuevyQeVwAI/AAAAAAAAGzk/ElBtgIiuPkc/s1600/IMG_5237.JPG

As for other things, the pretty Callaham Bridge is wonky as I need to sand the pickup rout a wee bit more than I did, and the Mojo Tele Bridge and Gold Foil pickups are looking groovy. I have the rather nice cover for the control cavity somewhere else than where  I've been looking for it too, so that will obviously be in there somewhere too.

As for the neck, that is ready to go but I forgot to take any pretty pictures.

As for the finish date - I'm guessing another week, so get your donations in if you haven't yet etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very very cool!

I like your process - similar to mine. Test fit, balls, it don't fit... Meh, sandpaper... There ya go, perfect!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, the worst of it was I did it before I painted it and thought the problem solved, until...

Heh ho, such is life :)

Really must find or make the control cover, and take some fotos in a daylight as it is actually quite coppery around the edges and blue on bronze everywhere else.

But tis nearly done and I think @TTony will be able to do the draw next week..

So roll-up, roll-up etc.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/erikryman/IMG_5249.jpg

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    I really like that.

I'd Iike it enough to enter the draw, but some untrusting person might think it was a fixed draw when I luckily won it ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Ah, I doubt there are any suspicious souls here, you'd be fine (ahem)

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1310
    Happy to bung a few quid towards this place's upkeep, it has been a great source of knowledge and inspiration for me.  I perhaps should have added my forum username as a message with the paypal, hopefully that wouldn't affect my chances?  Not quite sure how you'll be drawing it.  Not that I tend to be very lucky with these sorts of things :)

Anyway the guitar looks funky and really different. 
    @TTony is handling the draw - so I'd PM the fella and let him know your paypal email address to make sure you are included :) Cheer for joining in anyway...

• 10% of my amp sale sent by Paypal just in the nick of time it seems =] @ttony would be great if you could include me in the draw
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    You shall be included :)
    TTony said:
    You shall be included :)
    And on the 8th day...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3921
    Top work Jooky. I love it.
  • Is this still running? Just made a donation anyway - good luck everyone!
    pickerg said:
    Is this still running? Just made a donation anyway - good luck everyone!
    Yep. I haven't quite finished it (looking at the pile of parts in the corner) - it will be done this coming week though :)

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Money sent.

Am I in?
    You're in :)

In fact I should say there has been a wee delay so it won't actually be finitoed until Monday now...

But man, it'll be worth the wait..

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    JookyChap;155540" said:
    You're in :)

In fact I should say there has been a wee delay so it won't actually be finitoed until Monday now...

But man, it'll be worth the wait..

Excellent!
  • I've posted the oddies off me paypal. Hope it's in time. If not I'm just happy to chip in to my new favourite internet guitar resource. Cheers Kelvin
    Plenty of time @kelvinburn. ;

We're planning a grand unveiling with some "events" over the next week or so to entice a few more donations, and then the prize draw at the Great British Guitar Show in a couple of weeks, when I'm announced as the winner.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom