The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    As mentioned earlier, I'm not a Kemper or any other modeller owner/user (at the moment), but I'm really enjoying Guido's profile demos - &

Anyone bought any of his profiles and if so, what's your thoughts on sounds and feel of them? They seem very cheap to purchase.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I'm always incredibly dubious of demos of profiles - they ALWAYS sound so much better than they actually are when a layman purchases them.

I must have spent a small fortune on profiles after hearing demos, only for them to sound pretty much nothing like the demo - this is across Helix, AX8 and Kemper.

Think I'll just stick with the TopJimi Caswell JCM - now THAT is a killer profile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    @FarleyUK ;Yeah know what you mean. I play a Tele so look for profiles that have been made with single coils at least. Helps me a little anyway.
    FarleyUK said:
    I'm always incredibly dubious of demos of profiles - they ALWAYS sound so much better than they actually are when a layman purchases them.

I must have spent a small fortune on profiles after hearing demos, only for them to sound pretty much nothing like the demo - this is across Helix, AX8 and Kemper.

Think I'll just stick with the TopJimi Caswell JCM - now THAT is a killer profile.
    True. We should've all learned our lesson from various demos back in the day, like the Roland stuff. However, sometimes, that's all we have to gauge things but I agree, they should be taken with a pinch of salt. With Guido, I know he favours using a real 2x12 cab but I'm not sure if that's the case in the demos
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    edited May 2019
    FarleyUK said:

I must admit I that since making my one and only purchase of patches for my Helix (one of the Delaune series) I've decided to stick to making my own as the purchased  patches sounded considerably different from the YouTube demos.

@PJH your Kemper/amp comparison was awesome.. as is your tone. 1 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    FarleyUK said:

I must admit I that since making my one and only purchase of patches for my Helix (one of the Delaune series) I've decided to stick to making my own as they sounded considerably different from the YouTube demos.

@PJH your Kemper/amp comparison was awesome.. as is your tone. :+1: 
    I remember buying a lot of Glen's stuff - and I encountered the same thing.

It's incredibly annoying!
    Question for the HiveMind:

Trying to use a TC Mimiq DOubler in the FX loop of the Kemper. Have the DIRECT OUT connected to MONO input on the Mimiq, via a standard patch cable. Then have the L & R sends from the Mimiq coming back in to the ALTERNATIVE INPUT and RETURN on the Kemper.

Stereo Loop block is enabled after the STACK section as well, 100% mix.

Seems to be working, but I wanted to check that's the correct STEREO FX Loop setup?

Also noticed a couple of weird issues: if my EQ block is before the FX loop (i.e. in the X slot) and the Stereo FX loop is in the MOD slot, the EQ doesn't get applied. If I put the EQ block AFTER the Stereo Loop (i.e. Stereo Loop in X slot, EQ in MOD slot) it DOES get applied.

Getting a huge volume drop as well, but I can probably sort that with the FX Loop Volume parameter, right?

FarleyUK said:
    Question for the HiveMind:

Trying to use a TC Mimiq DOubler in the FX loop of the Kemper. Have the DIRECT OUT connected to MONO input on the Mimiq, via a standard patch cable. Then have the L & R sends from the Mimiq coming back in to the ALTERNATIVE INPUT and RETURN on the Kemper.

Stereo Loop block is enabled after the STACK section as well, 100% mix.

Seems to be working, but I wanted to check that's the correct STEREO FX Loop setup?

Also noticed a couple of weird issues: if my EQ block is before the FX loop (i.e. in the X slot) and the Stereo FX loop is in the MOD slot, the EQ doesn't get applied. If I put the EQ block AFTER the Stereo Loop (i.e. Stereo Loop in X slot, EQ in MOD slot) it DOES get applied.

Getting a huge volume drop as well, but I can probably sort that with the FX Loop Volume parameter, right?

I've figured it out...!

After messing around with using the direct out and monitor out together, I'd accidentally left it so that the monitor out was going to the Mimiq, instead of the Direct Out.

When I changed it to Direct Out instead of Monitor Out, it's back to normal (on both the EQ issue and the volume issue).​
    edited May 2019
    I had fun today and a good few hours in the studio trying out a powered 1 x12 Redsound with modellers, namely a Kemper and a Helix, that my friends kindly brought along for me. I also had my own Divided head and 2x12 there for contrast and reference.

My previous experience of both modellers was an ok-ish one and left me feeling that they weren't for me as I didn't think they sounded as authentic as an amp - on those occasions, they were either going through a regular guitar cab, PA Speakers, Yamaha DRXs or an Atomic cab. Today, the sound and experience was different, and a rather pleasing one, and I can only put that down to the Redound.

First impressions of the cab were that it has some clout to it and it's very clear and not directional; it's almost 3-D like and like Surround Sound. It took both modellers really well and to my ears, it sounded and felt like I was playing through an amp and the response, interaction and feel under fingers was good.

Sadly for my wallet and bank balance, the Kemper/Redsound rig on KPA Divided profiles matched and improved upon the cleans from my Divided, which is high praise indeed  

The Helix was impressive, too, but as with anything like this, you have to put the time in and 'tune it in' to the cab and match your guitars.

I should say that I also tried a bass through the Kemper/Redsound rig and that was fine and totally useable for me (I use a modelled SWR anyway from a Roland Bass Cube 120XL with some compression)

It's a very attractive prospect having those sounds/amps readily at your disposal with a Redsound 1x12, for both bass and guitar, as it's such a compact, versatile and powerful package and could be my one-rig-does-all for gigs. Even before I delve into all that's been well-documented regarding editing, user-interface, fx etc for the respective units, I'd be pushed to pick which modeller was for me just based on the sounds. My ears tell me Kemper for cleans and crunches and Helix for leads and fx.

I need a few more listens and trials, maybe even a gig experience with one of these rigs, before I'm ready to bite the bullet

• PJHPJH Frets: 25
    equalsql said:
    FarleyUK said:

I must admit I that since making my one and only purchase of patches for my Helix (one of the Delaune series) I've decided to stick to making my own as the purchased  patches sounded considerably different from the YouTube demos.

@PJH your Kemper/amp comparison was awesome.. as is your tone. 1 
    Thanks for your kind comment,
    Cheers
    Peter.
    Kebabkid said:
    I had fun today and a good few hours in the studio trying out a powered 1 x12 Redsound with modellers, namely a Kemper and a Helix, that my friends kindly brought along for me. I also had my own Divided head and 2x12 there for contrast and reference.

My previous experience of both modellers was an ok-ish one and left me feeling that they weren't for me as I didn't think they sounded as authentic as an amp - on those occasions, they were either going through a regular guitar cab, PA Speakers, Yamaha DRXs or an Atomic cab. Today, the sound and experience was different, and a rather pleasing one, and I can only put that down to the Redound.

First impressions of the cab were that it has some clout to it and it's very clear and not directional; it's almost 3-D like and like Surround Sound. It took both modellers really well and to my ears, it sounded and felt like I was playing through an amp and the response, interaction and feel under fingers was good.

Sadly for my wallet and bank balance, the Kemper/Redsound rig on KPA Divided profiles matched and improved upon the cleans from my Divided, which is high praise indeed  

The Helix was impressive, too, but as with anything like this, you have to put the time in and 'tune it in' to the cab and match your guitars.

I should say that I also tried a bass through the Kemper/Redsound rig and that was fine and totally useable for me (I use a modelled SWR anyway from a Roland Bass Cube 120XL with some compression)

It's a very attractive prospect having those sounds/amps readily at your disposal with a Redsound 1x12, for both bass and guitar, as it's such a compact, versatile and powerful package and could be my one-rig-does-all for gigs. Even before I delve into all that's been well-documented regarding editing, user-interface, fx etc for the respective units, I'd be pushed to pick which modeller was for me just based on the sounds. My ears tell me Kemper for cleans and crunches and Helix for leads and fx.

I need a few more listens and trials, maybe even a gig experience with one of these rigs, before I'm ready to bite the bullet

I'm tempted by the RedSound, but £800 is pretty bloody steep; I'd need two as well, so think I'll stick with the dual Headrush 112s (for a total of £500!).
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I use an Atomic CLR, it’s be interesting to see just how different it is to something like the Yamaha’s etc as so far ive found the  Atomic to be rather bloody good :)
    sweepy said:
    I use an Atomic CLR, it’s be interesting to see just how different it is to something like the Yamaha’s etc as so far ive found the  Atomic to be rather bloody good :)
    A friend uses one of the Atomics for live rock shows (theatre, large-ish gigs) and very recently, Clear Sound bought a Red Sound speaker down for him to use at a gig (tried it at the soundcheck and bit the bullet and used it on the night).

Having seen them a couple of times before, I heard a difference as his sound didn't sound 'in the distance or like a recording' and he mentioned after the gig that the sound was more amp-like with his patches coming alive and sounding more real and not being directional.

Whilst he has the cab, he also takes a feed to the FOH but had struggled in the past to hear the cab when he stepped away from it, and he moves about all over the stage. Even though monitors are obviously used with guitar feeding through for each band member, the band felt a disconnect with him whereas it was the opposite with the other guitarist, who uses a Marshall stack. In fact, his rig came come across as too loud and getting the balance between the guitars and volumes has been a bit of a pain whilst trying to ensure both guitarists are satisfied with the feel and clout of their rigs. 

With the Red Sound, both he and the band could hear everything very clearly and they could feel the amp on stage and for the first time since being a Kemper user, he found the experience ultimately satisfying and like using an amp.

Given the level of control he now has from this set up and him getting to where he wanted the sound to be, the other guitarist is now going the same way.
    Kebabkid said:
    sweepy said:
    A friend uses one of the Atomics for live rock shows (theatre, large-ish gigs) and very recently, Clear Sound bought a Red Sound speaker down for him to use at a gig (tried it at the soundcheck and bit the bullet and used it on the night).

Having seen them a couple of times before, I heard a difference as his sound didn't sound 'in the distance or like a recording' and he mentioned after the gig that the sound was more amp-like with his patches coming alive and sounding more real and not being directional.

Whilst he has the cab, he also takes a feed to the FOH but had struggled in the past to hear the cab when he stepped away from it, and he moves about all over the stage. Even though monitors are obviously used with guitar feeding through for each band member, the band felt a disconnect with him whereas it was the opposite with the other guitarist, who uses a Marshall stack. In fact, his rig came come across as too loud and getting the balance between the guitars and volumes has been a bit of a pain whilst trying to ensure both guitarists are satisfied with the feel and clout of their rigs. 

With the Red Sound, both he and the band could hear everything very clearly and they could feel the amp on stage and for the first time since being a Kemper user, he found the experience ultimately satisfying and like using an amp.

Given the level of control he now has from this set up and him getting to where he wanted the sound to be, the other guitarist is now going the same way.
    That wouldn't be 'Leather & Lace', would it...?

Also, I don't believe the RedSound can be mounted on a pole, can it?
    OK, I'm going to bite the bullet on these RedSOund cabs - maybe go for two of them to give them a trial run, as I think I need stereo for the band.

Can anyone suggest if it would be better to go for the normal LG12, or the slanted ('Rack') version? Playing bar and pub gigs mostly. Can't decide on which would be better for the sound; I'd assume the rack version as it's slightly tilted up?
    Not sure but all I can say is that all I've heard are the normal cabs and the dispersion of sound is fantastic and not directional and as has been said, you can always angle a regular one if need be
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    FarleyUK said:
    OK, I'm going to bite the bullet on these RedSOund cabs - maybe go for two of them to give them a trial run, as I think I need stereo for the band.

Can anyone suggest if it would be better to go for the normal LG12, or the slanted ('Rack') version? Playing bar and pub gigs mostly. Can't decide on which would be better for the sound; I'd assume the rack version as it's slightly tilted up?
    I had the same dilemma, according to Clearsound the only difference is the finish. The regular cab is more boutique vinyl stitched covering and the Rack has a hard, rippled finish. I liked the shape of the Rack but preferred the finish on the regular cab.
    They should be with me in an hour, so I'll give them a whirl and will update with my thoughts. Still have the Headrush FrFr112s as well, so can compare.
    FarleyUK said:
    They should be with me in an hour, so I'll give them a whirl and will update with my thoughts. Still have the Headrush FrFr112s as well, so can compare.
    Looking forward to your first impressions of them.
    OK, so they arrived....

Firstly, BIG shout-out and thanks to Peter at ClearSound - he drove round the M25 to personally deliver them to me. Top, top bloke and a pleasure to deal with!

They look great, and are very well constructed; the sound itself is much thicker and 'fatter' than the Headrush FrFr speakers. It does seem to sound more like a cab as well, including all the issues that brings; for example, I've had to reduce my EQ cut to 6kHz now instead of 7,000. ALso a lot boomier, so have increased the low cut to 120Hz.

But yes, they do sound very nice indeed - will be using them at the gig tonight so will upload some vids tomorrow of how they sound in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom