Nintendo Classic

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited June 2017
    I doubt they'll sell out in the UAE - the NES didn't. Maybe I should bring some home at xmas!
    I got one from Smyths Toys here in Northern Ireland.  They might have some left.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27181
    Bidley said:
    Overpriced crap, like the mini NES. You can build a Retropie for fifty quid and it does everything the mini Nintendos do and a whole lot more.

That's a ridiculous comment. 

You might as well say Netflix is overpriced because you can just pirate movies with a Kodi box.
    It is overpriced though, and deliberately limited production runs too. Nintendo are getting increasingly shady in their business practices. Still repackaging and selling 20-30 year old games alone is a touch ridiculous (although I guess if people will pay these prices...).

In any case, I've still got my SNES, and I've got a PC with a bunch of ROMs, I'll save my money for when a Switch becomes worth buying, or for a 3DS.
    It could be that they're a games company, so their entire business revolves around them selling games?

Based on the NES-mania it's not at all overpriced, given that half of these SNES games are still regarded among the all-time great games almost 30 years later.  There's nothing remotely shady about it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    All I can ask is why? These games were all OK at the time but 2nd time round are they really still enjoyable?
    Saying that. Rehashing the past does seem to sell. Look at guitars..
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    All I can ask is why? These games were all OK at the time but 2nd time round are they really still enjoyable?
    Have you ever played Mario Kart? Have you ever noticed it's basically the same game whatever version?
    There's a reason for that.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    I assume you're not a gamer - even though they're 25 years old these games are very different from simple arcade stuff like Pacman.

I've played Super Mario World at least 4 times through and I couldn't tell you how many hours I've had between all the various Mario Karts. It's fun! No different from listening to an album more than once.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Super Mario World is probably the greatest game of all time.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Bidley said:
    Overpriced crap, like the mini NES. You can build a Retropie for fifty quid and it does everything the mini Nintendos do and a whole lot more.

You might as well say Netflix is overpriced because you can just pirate movies with a Kodi box.
    It is overpriced though, and deliberately limited production runs too. Nintendo are getting increasingly shady in their business practices. Still repackaging and selling 20-30 year old games alone is a touch ridiculous (although I guess if people will pay these prices...).

In any case, I've still got my SNES, and I've got a PC with a bunch of ROMs, I'll save my money for when a Switch becomes worth buying, or for a 3DS.
    It could be that they're a games company, so their entire business revolves around them selling games?

Based on the NES-mania it's not at all overpriced, given that half of these SNES games are still regarded among the all-time great games almost 30 years later.  There's nothing remotely shady about it. 
    It's not overpriced because people will pay that, that's true. But repackaging and selling games that old umpteen times (I'm pretty sure a lot of them have been re-released on Game boy Advance, DS, Virtual Console etc before) is a bit pathetic. Why not do what every other games company does and pump that money into new games or - heaven forbid! - a new IP.

The limited run thing is very a much a Nintendo business practice too. Artificially inflating demand by barely making enough units is shady. They did it with the Gamecube, Wii, Switch, NES mini thingy and they'll more than likely do it with this.

I love Nintendo and what they did for my childhood, but I think they're lazy and cynical. Which seems to be an epidemic in the video games industry at the moment.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Selling out in 18 minutes is rather frustrating.

Shows it must be in very low numbers.
    Bidley said:
    Bidley said:

It's not overpriced because people will pay that, that's true. But repackaging and selling games that old umpteen times (I'm pretty sure a lot of them have been re-released on Game boy Advance, DS, Virtual Console etc before) is a bit pathetic. Why not do what every other games company does and pump that money into new games or - heaven forbid! - a new IP.

The limited run thing is very a much a Nintendo business practice too. Artificially inflating demand by barely making enough units is shady. They did it with the Gamecube, Wii, Switch, NES mini thingy and they'll more than likely do it with this.

I love Nintendo and what they did for my childhood, but I think they're lazy and cynical. Which seems to be an epidemic in the video games industry at the moment.
    I just don't know what you want them to do - give them away for free, presumably?

As for new games, they released Arms last week (a new IP), and Splatoon only relatively recently too. Not to mention Zelda BOTW which is the best game anyone has made in years, and Mario Odyssey is out before Christmas. 

And finding the point on the price/production curve that maximises profits is exactly what every good company in the world does to keep its shareholders happy. The only difference is that most (except maybe Apple) don't have big enough surges in demand to be able to do it.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo aren't doing endless pay-to-win DLC and/or Free-to-play like the rest of the industry (not to mention Activision's COD4 remaster shambles) so they're alright by me. 
    It's avalible to pre-order on Nintendo's own site, now.
    https://store.nintendo.co.uk/home.dept

go, go, go </Murray>

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • It comes with two controllers? That's proper old school!

Also it's £69 at Nintendo instead of £79 everywhere else.
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    Sold out now
    I assume you're not a gamer - even though they're 25 years old these games are very different from simple arcade stuff like Pacman.

I've played Super Mario World at least 4 times through and I couldn't tell you how many hours I've had between all the various Mario Karts. It's fun! No different from listening to an album more than once.  
    I was a gamer and at the time I liked these games. Sure Mario kart is great but why not just by a nes/super nes on ebay. I couldn't give mine away.