Nintendo Classic

What's Hot

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I lost countless hours to Street Fighter and Mario Kart. Everything else is a bonus. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    edited June 2017
    antifash said:
    What you also need to know is production will stop at the end of 2017.  
    Why?
    Bidley said:
    Bidley said:
    Overpriced crap, like the mini NES. You can build a Retropie for fifty quid and it does everything the mini Nintendos do and a whole lot more.

That's a ridiculous comment. 

You might as well say Netflix is overpriced because you can just pirate movies with a Kodi box.
    It is overpriced though, and deliberately limited production runs too. Nintendo are getting increasingly shady in their business practices. Still repackaging and selling 20-30 year old games alone is a touch ridiculous (although I guess if people will pay these prices...).

In any case, I've still got my SNES, and I've got a PC with a bunch of ROMs, I'll save my money for when a Switch becomes worth buying, or for a 3DS.
    It could be that they're a games company, so their entire business revolves around them selling games?

Based on the NES-mania it's not at all overpriced, given that half of these SNES games are still regarded among the all-time great games almost 30 years later.  There's nothing remotely shady about it. 
    It's not overpriced because people will pay that, that's true. But repackaging and selling games that old umpteen times (I'm pretty sure a lot of them have been re-released on Game boy Advance, DS, Virtual Console etc before) is a bit pathetic. Why not do what every other games company does and pump that money into new games or - heaven forbid! - a new IP.

The limited run thing is very a much a Nintendo business practice too. Artificially inflating demand by barely making enough units is shady. They did it with the Gamecube, Wii, Switch, NES mini thingy and they'll more than likely do it with this.

I love Nintendo and what they did for my childhood, but I think they're lazy and cynical. Which seems to be an epidemic in the video games industry at the moment.
    I just don't know what you want them to do - give them away for free, presumably?

As for new games, they released Arms last week (a new IP), and Splatoon only relatively recently too. Not to mention Zelda BOTW which is the best game anyone has made in years, and Mario Odyssey is out before Christmas. 

And finding the point on the price/production curve that maximises profits is exactly what every good company in the world does to keep its shareholders happy. The only difference is that most (except maybe Apple) don't have big enough surges in demand to be able to do it.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo aren't doing endless pay-to-win DLC and/or Free-to-play like the rest of the industry (not to mention Activision's COD4 remaster shambles) so they're alright by me. 
    Two new IPs over two console generations isn't great, is it. I'm sure there are more but new IPs aren't Nintendo's thing (but that's an industry problem as much as anything).

The price/production curve is bollocks. Producing insufficient stock and deliberately not meeting demand is anti-consumer and shady.

The other thing Nintendo have going for them, is that, like Apple, they have the most rabid and defensive fanboys. Nintendo could release a plate of hot shit and you'd get the same fanboys blindly defending it.

They're not as bad as Ubisoft, EA etc but they still deserve criticism where it's deserved.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27286
    edited June 2017
    I just don't know what you expected them to do? Invest more money so they can sell more, at a lower price and get a worse return on their investment? 

Nintendo have had a really shaky decade between the second half of the Wii's cycle and the pretty major failure of the Wii U in the market. But they're knocking it out of the park with the 3DS and Switch.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I just don't know what you expected them to do? Invest more money so they can sell more, at a lower price and get a worse return on their investment? 
    Is it really so hard to understand? Make more SNES/NES Minis. They can sell them.

I realise, though, that daring to criticise Nintendo in this thread is a bit ballsey and probably pointless.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    FX_Munkee said:
    Says over 100 already purchased and you need to pay upfront. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    And didn't @chillidoggy have a pretty shitty experience with very.co.uk recently? I think there's a thread...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    DanR said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Says over 100 already purchased and you need to pay upfront. 
    Ouch, didn't know that.
    There's a couple on ebay already for north of £200, cheeky twats.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    FX_Munkee said:
    ARGH! I don't have £85 now. :(
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11945
    Bidley said:
    antifash said:
    What you also need to know is production will stop at the end of 2017.  
    Why?
    Despite they say production will be increased, it is still a very limited run.  If you want one, pony up now, if you can find one.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7378
    I wouldn't buy from very. Last time I looked you had to set up a credit account, they wouldn't just let you pay and check out.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    DefaultM said:
    I wouldn't buy from very. Last time I looked you had to set up a credit account, they wouldn't just let you pay and check out.
    You don't have to use credit.
  • FX_Munkee said:

DanR said:
    You don't have to use credit.

Thanks for the tips.  Have tried to order one and pay by PayPal.  Ironically, with the money I got from selling the empty box from a SNES game. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well all the ones at Very have gone now too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In the one minute between us both posting?  WTF! :)

I'm assuming you've seen it listed as out of stock (because they don't have any in stock).  Click the item and hopefully you can add to your basket and pay/order.
    They're available to preorder at Smyths now. 
    Preordered to collect. OK, it's £10 more than Nintendo, but at least I know I'll get one. https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/nintendo-classic-mini-super-nintendo-entertainment-system/p/161624
    Got one from smyths thanks.
    Can you put the cartridges in these or is it just whats preloaded?