Anyone had a PPI refund?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited November 2017

After reading about it here, I used Resolver to moan about a packaged account my wife used to have years ago, sent the thing off on Sunday. On Tuesday, a bloke from Lloyds TSB called her, and asked for some more details, but she couldn't remember a bloody thing. Last night he called again, they're giving her £880 back. Not that she's giving me any of it, but still and all, I wouldn't have had the result if it hadn't been for this forum!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm pretty sure we have no PPI. Didn't borrow money, didn't use credit cards much. Did get mis-sold a sh*te mortgage policy that ran for a year. I keep meaning to ask a company though just to check. It will never happen if left to me. If they took 99% then I'd still have 1% more than I would otherwise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've done it for a couple of relatives, it's easy to do yourself and it saves paying 25% in commission.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6078
    I've recently enquired via a company that takes 10%. They've found two accounts where it was mis-sold.  One was a cc which I knew about (though I wasn't aware there was pp on it, I always declined it as I knew they would never pay out in my case). The other is re a loan, which is odd as I can't recall a loan.  I did have a mortgage back in the 80's via a slightly sketchy broker but I'm unsure if ppi covers mortgages. Could it be the old mortgage account or did I have a loan that I've forgotten?
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited November 2017

I had a mortgage with RBS from the end of 2000 to around 2005... I'm sure I'm owed something. Sold the flat for the profit but the final settlement value of the rest of the mortgage might have included PPI, on top of all the interest. I was trying to avoid using a 3rd party because I really don't think I have any of the paperwork left, so the FCA told me to contact RBS with something called a Subject Access Request: ring any bells with anyone?

• JezWynd said:
    I've recently enquired via a company that takes 10%. They've found two accounts where it was mis-sold.  One was a cc which I knew about (though I wasn't aware there was pp on it, I always declined it as I knew they would never pay out in my case). The other is re a loan, which is odd as I can't recall a loan.  I did have a mortgage back in the 80's via a slightly sketchy broker but I'm unsure if ppi covers mortgages. Could it be the old mortgage account or did I have a loan that I've forgotten?
    PPI was sold with mortgages. Also, if it was a mortgage from the 80's it may have been one of those dodgy endowment policies which were also subject to a mis-selling scandal.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I had a mortgage with RBS from the end of 2000 to around 2005... I'm sure I'm owed something, but was trying to avoid using a 3rd party because I really don't think I have any of the paperwork left. I was advised by the FCA to contact RBS with something called a Subject Access Request: ring any bells with anyone?

I would use the resolver web site as first call, it literally takes a few minutes and doesn't request a lot of information, see if RBS reply back to save you having to do loads of paper work.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6078
    JezWynd said:
    PPI was sold with mortgages. Also, if it was a mortgage from the 80's it may have been one of those dodgy endowment policies which were also subject to a mis-selling scandal.
    It wasn't an endowment mortgage but thanks for the info - I'll go ahead with the claim in that case.
  • I had some sort of PPI thing on my mortgage for a bit but I specifically wanted it. I never followed it up because it felt like bad manners to try to get the stake refunded after a gamble fails to pay off.

I've done it for a couple of relatives, it's easy to do yourself and it saves paying 25% in commission.
    25%? And the rest!

The company my wife looked at, Rapidclaim I think, wanted 40% for the claim I posted about earlier, which took one email and two phone calls to sort.

• I've done it for a couple of relatives, it's easy to do yourself and it saves paying 25% in commission.
    25%? And the rest!

The company my wife looked at, Rapidclaim I think, wanted 40% for the claim I posted about earlier, which took one email and two phone calls to sort.
    I just got some forms of the old FSA website and it was pretty easy. 
    Was the guy from Rapid Claim called Mr Dick Turpin?

I've done it for a couple of relatives, it's easy to do yourself and it saves paying 25% in commission.
    25%? And the rest!

I just got some forms of the old FSA website and it was pretty easy. 
    Was the guy from Rapid Claim called Mr Dick Turpin?

Can’t really remember, but I think he said his name was Blair, or something.

• I got nearly £3k via Claims Guys who then took 30%+VAT
    A whole industry has sprung up to take advantage of PPI. I checked out the accounts of some claims companies, and all those I looked at were showing astonishing increases in revenue.

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I’d like to give this a try but as I can’t temember the dates and amounts of some of the loans and CC’s I had ‘back in the day’ I guess I will need to use a company? Surely I can’t just phone a bank and say “I had a loan with you around this time for an amount I can’t remember and you miss sold me PPI!” 
    Adamski said:
    I’d like to give this a try but as I can’t temember the dates and amounts of some of the loans and CC’s I had ‘back in the day’ I guess I will need to use a company? Surely I can’t just phone a bank and say “I had a loan with you around this time for an amount I can’t remember and you miss sold me PPI!” 

Yes, you can. You could try the Resolver tool.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    All you PPI claimers, did you never read the terms and conditions before you took out these loans and just meekly paid what the lender asked for? 

Adamski said:

I'd use the resolver site first, as long as you know the bank and a rough date, they (the bank) should do the work for you and look at products you've had in the past. I'd use a 3rd party only if it's a choice between that and not being able to claim at all.
    edited November 2017
    Neil said:
    All you PPI claimers, did you never read the terms and conditions before you took out these loans and just meekly paid what the lender asked for? 

When I was an 18 year old wanting a loan to buy my first car I was offered the insurance by Lloyds, when i asked what it meant, they told me that as it was a form of security the bank would be far more likely to approve the loan than if I didn't take out the PPI. 

I believed this was the case for the next 20 years or so, thousands of pounds wasted over the years because of that lie, and the it was almost always Lloyds I took loans with.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11911
    underdog said:
    Neil said:

When I was an 18 year old wanting a loan to buy my first car I was offered the insurance by Lloyds, when i asked what it meant, they told me that as it was a form of security the bank would be far more likely to approve the loan than if I didn't take out the PPI. 

I believed this was the case for the next 20 years or so, thousands of pounds wasted over the years because of that lie, and the it was almost always Lloyds I took loans with.
    same with me, Halifax insisted I take out PPI on their mortgage, even though I was on a temp contract and could not claim if made redundant
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom