Anyone had a PPI refund?

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    see - it doesn't pay to live on the right side of society. I never had debts or dodgy loans; have no mgage and saved like for-ever it seems. Now I have no interest to live on and struggling when shouldn't be. All my PPI searches came back negative and I cannot even take advantage of 1.6% mgage rates even though I had to work through paying mine in the 15% era as a single householder - no fucker wiped any of my debts off for me or bent over backwards to safeguard my home from default...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • After reading what a few of you guys said I decided to fill in some online forms... turns out I'd forgotten about a substantial loan from 2006 that took me five years to pay off. I never knew it had PPI! My bank investigating a separate one from 1998 too. 

So thanks :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I used a company that had been recommended by a couple of friends who got substantial amounts dating back to the mid to later 90s.

A couple of us at work did it and we've received really good amounts on several claims

They'll look at loans, credit cards, store cards, mortgages etc and it doesn't matter if you don't recall the account numbers or who you took out loans with (tick all the boxes on the list and let them do the work).

There's no fee other than their 24% commission on successful claims

They were really thorough and on 2 previous occasions, I'd used big name companies who just returned an answer very quickly with no PPI found

For every recommendation, you get a £20 Amazon voucher and once you hit 5, they'll give you an additional £50 bonus, but that's not what I did it for. I'd rather see friends get some dosh

They're ethical, friendly and not in your face and I've probably spent 2.5 hrs on calls and form-filling with them in the last 3 months but boy. Has it been worth it? Yes, they've earnt their fee and dug deep. My attempts at dealing direct with some of the same finance institutions and their PPI Depts resulted in zilch

Closing date is 29th August

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Never ever ever use these claims companies. You're just throwing your money away.

Claiming for PPI is the easiest thing in the world. Do not use a company that charges commission, give all they do is send a letter you could send yourself with five minutes work.

I got back over 7.5K and got to keep every single penny. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24326
    But...  What do you do if you can't remember what loans etc you've had in the past thirty years?!  How the hell can you begin to investigate that?  I know I've had loans and credit cards from umpteen different companies, but have no paperwork going back that far.  Even my bank only keeps statements online for a few years.

My sister-in-law is using one of these PPI firms and all they are doing is pestering her to search for paperwork she doesn't have.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I got about a grand back when i did it. Couldnt be arsed with all the paperwork but was approached by a company that i'd used for debt consolidation many years ago and they said they had all my info and all i needed to do was give them the nod, a percentage of the credit and they'd do the rest. A high cut for them but better than the 100% of the f**k all i'd have got by not doing it! 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    The claims company Kebabkid mentioned just found PPI from 1998 on an old Barclaycard I had. This is despite me doing my own claims in the past with no success and also trying another company a couple of years ago again with no success.
    I'm waiting for the reply and value from Barclays but I'm happy to give the claims company their cut as without them I'd never have known about this PPI.
    Emp_Fab said:
    But...  What do you do if you can't remember what loans etc you've had in the past thirty years?!  How the hell can you begin to investigate that?  I know I've had loans and credit cards from umpteen different companies, but have no paperwork going back that far.  Even my bank only keeps statements online for a few years.

My sister-in-law is using one of these PPI firms and all they are doing is pestering her to search for paperwork she doesn't have.
    I wrote to any bank I might have had dealings with and they looked up the info. I had a loan from 1999/2000 that I couldn't remember a thing about. And the bank was obliged to do the digging for me. I had no paperwork for 80% of my different claims, just vague memories. And in every case I got thousands of pounds back without giving a penny to these claim company thieves. It's all a scam.

Almost all of my claims I had no paperwork for. It doesn't matter. The banks do the actual digging, all the claims company do is ask them to dig. I'm not paying someone £1000 to write a letter.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    Money saving expert site tells you how to do it and provides the forms
    Money saving expert site tells you how to do it and provides the forms
    Exactly. Fill in a few forms, even if you don't have all the info. And the banks get on with it. All those claims companies do is sit between this simple process and cream off your cash. Absolute scam. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    I'm pretty sure I never had any PPI insurance on any loan or card but prompted by the FCA tweets I filled in the form on my bank's website only last week, which took about a minute of my time.

I'm not expecting any refund but if I'm mistaken I wouldn't turn it down
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    @Kebabkid - who did you use mate ? PM me if needed
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    I filled in the forms from Martin Lewis' website about 18 months and all the banks said I had no PPI (must've been about six different ones). Virgin (MBNA) sent me £250 for something else they'd buggered up but nothing PPI related.  All the banks were pretty clear with responses akin to :

'We've investIgated, you're not owed any PPI, this is the final correspondence on the matter"

I've not bothered again since, but was disappointed because Nationwide back in the early '90's fleeced us with a 100% mortgage and I remember thinking we were paying well over the odds back then. I bet that had some PPI attached, but they're saying 'no'!

I couldn't find hardly any paperwork that was over 10 years old.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    edited July 2019
    It might be worth looking into this if you were with Barclays (can't say if this applied to other banks).

I contacted Barclays when the PPI thing first burst out & they told me I was owed nothing.

However, I was having a major documentation clear out a couple of years ago & found some old bank statements.
    At the bottom of the statement was a fee for overdraft protection... This was not something I had wanted or asked for, it was just slapped on as part of the T&C's (no agree = no overdraft).

I went to the Barclays website, filled in the online form & mentioned the evidence.
    Result, a couple of letters and a refund of £1,400 landed in my account.

Don't get too hung up on mortgages & loans, check your bank accounts too 

: minor edit to remove dumb repetitions 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7329
    edited July 2019
    I've worked on this project for the last 7 years. The claims companies do nothing that you couldn't do yourself for free. You don't gain any form of advantage by using them. You don't even save time, because the process is still exactly the same on the banks end.

They
    haven't found anything for you. They send in bulk information requests for hundreds of customers, then they get back a list of your accounts and if they had PPI. 
    If it's the case that you were told 'no ppi' previously but now you're being told there is PPI, that's nothing to do with the company. They haven't enabled some kind of deeper search. All they've done is provide the bank with your name, date of birth, previous addresses etc.

If you had PPI they (should) get in touch and go through the complaint with you. This is no different to what you could have done yourself, as all the forms are available online and these are all they use. There aren't any 'secret answers' they can give you which means you'll get a refund. 

Then they slap a cover letter on the front, which is often just saying "look at this letter of authority. That signature means we're getting a slice".
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i wrote to all the banks and mortgage companies to see and thay all came back negative, im pretty sure they are right because i was always aware of protection insurance so made sure i didnt pay any . but i guess theres no harm now letting a claims co having a go and see if they find anything, nothing to lose.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I tried doing it myself using the online templates and nothing transpired. Anyone else done this then gone back through a third party and got a different result??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    @Kebabkid would you mind sharing the details with me please?
  • stanstan Frets: 189
    @kebabkid, could I have the details too please ?  thanks.