Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    TTBZ said:
    Yeah I really don't get Fendery clean-cleans at all, pretty much the most bland tone you can get imo. I like my cleans to have a bit of grit to them, a breaking up plexi or jcm800 low input is my idea of a nice clean. 

Don't mind the sound of a breaking up tweed fender though - Johan Segeborn has a great video of the Pro Junior where it gets a really nice dirty rock tone.
    Ha, subjectivity is a wonderful thing. Every single Marshall I’ve ever tried (and I’ve played some good’uns) sounded absolutely gash to me. Horrible fizzy unworkable things. It’s a running joke in our band whenever we turn
    up at a rehearsal studio / gig with a Marshall- I lose my shit. Hate them. 
    Maybe your ears are broken
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• because a blonde 63 bassman rules!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • leerocker said:

because a blonde 63 bassman rules!
    No offence. 
    But there's a band local to me that play this and they do a damn sight better job than that. 

Tone wise, it's that middle ground thing, not quite clean not quite driven. 
    I can see the appeal, just not my bag. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    edited September 2017
    Few years back, I tried a bunch of amps out, courtesy of @thornybank...and I thought/still think an old 50 watt bassman head was the best sounding amp I've ever played through. 
  • Surely How Soon Is Now is a pretty good advert? 
  • Surely How Soon Is Now is a pretty good advert? 
    Good lord man, there's no need to bring Morrisey/Marr into it. 

We've not reached that desperate state have we?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hang on a minute, you've never heard of the Jesus and Mary Chain, you don't like The Who or Fender amps? Begone you heathen!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:

ecc83 said:
    ICBM said:
    Totally different circuits, basically. The confusion is that they're all called "Fender Twin" - they may as well be made by different amp companies.

They did actually make the Evil Twin - which even more confusingly does not say that anywhere on it, only 'Twin Amp' - for longer than just 1994, but they are certainly rare. I agree with Gav that they're great-sounding amps - in my opinion the very best modern Fender amp, especially on that yellow 'crunch' channel.

If you don't get on with Fenders, there's nothing wrong with that - it's a taste thing and difficult to quite put a finger on sometimes. Personally I cannot stand any Dr.Z amp I've ever heard, but they seem to be quite popular and highly-rated...

You forgot Blackstars mate! (no such thing as bad publicity.)

Dave.

I'd have a BS over a Fender any day. 
    Why the lols, I'm being deadly serious. 
    Id have an HT-50 or a series one 200 over any Fender. 
    That's thing the right there.

Back in the day when I wanted loads of compressed pre-amp gain and a smooth distortion sound, and a simple easy to use clean tone, I hated Fender amps - found them, too bright, too spikey etc.

Roll on, erm, some years and I wouldn't use anything else apart from a Fender derived map. Huge dynamic response, embrace those glorious highs, deep lows, and sound killer with mid-gain overdrive boosting it.

Blackstar is the opposite of the Fender sound for me, no dynamics, no cut, no thrust. If you prefer that sound then great but not for me.
    Well I'm not exactly the worlds biggest fan of BS, but i prefer it to any Fender. 
    I get what you are saying, it sounds to me like we are on opposite sides of the same orbit. 

As the years go by, I find myself being drawn to ever heavier and more extreme music. 

Started as as a classic blues fan, Mayall, Korner, Clapton, Green, Butterworth etc. 

Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 

Id love to hear Ola demo a fender twin :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Only watch this if you had made preparations to shit your pants.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pia98jf said:
    Hang on a minute, you've never heard of the Jesus and Mary Chain, you don't like The Who or Fender amps? Begone you heathen!
    Lol says the man who in all likely hood has never listened to a Scar Symmetry song......

I had heard OF the Jesus and Mary Chain, I'd just not heard anything BY them. 

And the Who..... well, I'm just not saying they didn't have a lot of great songs. 

Id just never choose to listen to them. 
  • dindude said:

ecc83 said:
    ICBM said:
    Totally different circuits, basically. The confusion is that they're all called "Fender Twin" - they may as well be made by different amp companies.

They did actually make the Evil Twin - which even more confusingly does not say that anywhere on it, only 'Twin Amp' - for longer than just 1994, but they are certainly rare. I agree with Gav that they're great-sounding amps - in my opinion the very best modern Fender amp, especially on that yellow 'crunch' channel.

If you don't get on with Fenders, there's nothing wrong with that - it's a taste thing and difficult to quite put a finger on sometimes. Personally I cannot stand any Dr.Z amp I've ever heard, but they seem to be quite popular and highly-rated...

You forgot Blackstars mate! (no such thing as bad publicity.)

Dave.

I'd have a BS over a Fender any day. 
    Why the lols, I'm being deadly serious. 
    Id have an HT-50 or a series one 200 over any Fender. 
    That's thing the right there.

Back in the day when I wanted loads of compressed pre-amp gain and a smooth distortion sound, and a simple easy to use clean tone, I hated Fender amps - found them, too bright, too spikey etc.

Roll on, erm, some years and I wouldn't use anything else apart from a Fender derived map. Huge dynamic response, embrace those glorious highs, deep lows, and sound killer with mid-gain overdrive boosting it.

Blackstar is the opposite of the Fender sound for me, no dynamics, no cut, no thrust. If you prefer that sound then great but not for me.
    Well I'm not exactly the worlds biggest fan of BS, but i prefer it to any Fender. 
    I get what you are saying, it sounds to me like we are on opposite sides of the same orbit. 

As the years go by, I find myself being drawn to ever heavier and more extreme music. 

Started as as a classic blues fan, Mayall, Korner, Clapton, Green, Butterworth etc. 

Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 

Id love to hear Ola demo a fender twin :)
    Ironically he'd prob make it sound brutal. 

In no way could I ever play like that. 
    But was kinda sloppy in places. 

Hes no Johnny Hiland/Brent Mason etc. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3872
    You're trying to play metal on a Fender amp aren't you? Stop it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    You're trying to play metal on a Fender amp aren't you? Stop it.
    Sawwy 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Because Deluxe Reverb. Beautiful shimmering cleans with the volume low, and a lovely snarl when turned up. And gorgeous built-in reverb and trem. The tone at 0:25 - a Tele bridge pickup straight into a DRRI wound up to about 7 - is just wonderful.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • pia98jf said:
    Hang on a minute, you've never heard of the Jesus and Mary Chain, you don't like The Who or Fender amps? Begone you heathen!
    Lol says the man who in all likely hood has never listened to a Scar Symmetry song......

I had heard OF the Jesus and Mary Chain, I'd just not heard anything BY them. 

And the Who..... well, I'm just not saying they didn't have a lot of great songs. 

Id just never choose to listen to them. 
    Scar who?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    I think I just don't like Fender tones.....
    I was worried I was missing out but it seems that the cleans are bland, high gain stuff is non existent and whilst there are some nice crunchy territory tones. Nothing that can hold a candle to a JCM800 or a Mesa.
    I'd agree that high-gain isn't their thing. There are a couple of models which can do it but I don't think they're a good example of great high-gain sounds.

Although if you like more rock stuff, there's always this… I have no idea what else he might have been going through, with this amount of gain I would guess there may be something in front of the amps as well as the mid boost in the guitar. These are Tonemasters, and supposedly he did have them all on and up loud!

Surely How Soon Is Now is a pretty good advert? 
    Yes, although it would be difficult to get that sound with just one amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

In no way could I ever play like that. 
    But was kinda sloppy in places. 

Hes no Johnny Hiland/Brent Mason etc. 
    It was more the tone. Always hard to judge tone from YouTube clips, as has been recently proved, but I think I know how those two amps would sound in the room. Clean but on the edge of going dirty with the double stops.

As for being sloppy, well I prefer this.  I don't really like players that make it sound like they aren't really trying.  I think that is the main reason why Joe Bonamassa is not really loved. Makes it sound too easy.  

Daniel was definitely putting the effort in.

If you prefer more gain what about this old deluxe

or classic jazz/blues, a cranked champ

• @icbm almost unwatchable due to the profound Bon jovi presence, but those guitars sure do sound well on that solo. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom