Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eldest daughter has gone Vegan...what Christmas nibbles to feed her?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited November 2017 in Off Topic

Eldest Daughter has gone Vegan and her fella is Vege and they are coming over during the Christmas hols. I was going to lay on some nibbles, buffet type food. I don't really want to spend hours in the kitchen so what ready to cook or simple to prepare stuff can I serve up?

We're full meat eating omnivores in our house so a bit clueless when it comes to this Vegan lark and so I'm guessing mini pork pies, cheese filled potato skins, BBQ ribs etc. are out.

Any suggestions?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920

Any suggestions?

Retract the invite? 
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell them to bring what they eat. Sames as bring what you drink, only different.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    just find your nearest veggie/vegan cafe/shop and buy it all. I actually think it’s an imposition on hosts to expect this sort of thing catered for, and I used to be veggie!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited November 2017
    Do a roast lump of tofu.
    Image result for roast tofu
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    That looks appetising.........
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    It is probably not that bad to be honest, and shouldn't be too difficult to make. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Pigs in blankets, substitute the sausage for a baby carrot and the bacon with a lettuce leaf. 

Mini sausage rolls, substitute the sausage with a baby carrot and the pastry with lettuce leaf. 

Eg mayo sandwiches, substitute the eggs for lettuce. 

Prawn cocktail, substitute the prawns with baby carrots and the lettuce with erm... lettuce. 

31reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Follow this astonishing recipe.....! NSFW.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    A couple of bales of hay should see the 2 of them through Christmas.
    Image result for hay bales
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    We always bring a couple of nut roasts to my parents' for us. Easy to make:

make a good tomato sauce (tomatos, onions, mushrooms, peppers, sherry, etc etc). Cook till not wet any more. 

grind your nuts. 

make a load of breadcrumbs. Mix with the nuts. 

Smash a couple of eggs and grate cheese into the nut / breadcrumb mix. You can miss that out for the vegans. (You can make two - that's what we do.)

When the tomato stuff is dry, stir the crumb/nut/egg/cheese mix into the tomato stuff, put it in the oven for 30-45 mins.

you can eat it with peas and potatoes etc, and pour veggie gravy over it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited November 2017
    Do some sort of nut roast,
    olives, stuffed vine leaves, sundried tomatoes, vegan cheese (not as bad as it sounds), veg crudites, dips (plenty of vegan).
    Rice salad, pasta, cous cous, quinoa, bulgar wheat. ALl easy enough, and probably can get ready made in packs.

Or, just do a big pot of veg curry and rice. Or chilli, with load of beans. Should only take 1/2 hour or so to do that.

Got to holland and barrret, ask them, probably easiest.

Veganism seems to be a trendy thing these days. I've been vegetarian for 25 years plus, but couldn't go the whole vegan thing. Eat a lot of vegan food, but it is IMO a step too far for permanent. Too fussy and tricky, and punitive.

In fact, forget it. Just get a load of nuts and crisps.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited November 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:

Any suggestions?

Retract the invite? 

Very good! Actually, I don't recall a formal invitation being issued, it was more of a "we'll be over during the holiday". I could just tell them they're not welcome as we don't like Vegans.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric said:
    Pigs in blankets, substitute the sausage for a baby carrot and the bacon with a lettuce leaf. 

Mini sausage rolls, substitute the sausage with a baby carrot and the pastry with lettuce leaf. 

Eg mayo sandwiches, substitute the eggs for lettuce. 

Prawn cocktail, substitute the prawns with baby carrots and the lettuce with erm... lettuce. 

Stop it I have tears in my eyes!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    viz said:

grind your nuts. 

I think not...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ermmm... as she has chosen this route, then is up to her to provide ideas/supply specifics...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited November 2017
    Snap said:
    Do some sort of nut roast,
    olives, stuffed vine leaves, sundried tomatoes, vegan cheese (not as bad as it sounds), veg crudites, dips (plenty of vegan).
    Rice salad, pasta, cous cous, quinoa, bulgar wheat. ALl easy enough, and probably can get ready made in packs.

Or, just do a big pot of veg curry and rice. Or chilli, with load of beans. Should only take 1/2 hour or so to do that.

Got to holland and barrret, ask them, probably easiest.

Veganism seems to be a trendy thing these days. I've been vegetarian for 25 years plus, but couldn't go the whole vegan thing. Eat a lot of vegan food, but it is IMO a step too far for permanent. Too fussy and tricky, and punitive.

In fact, forget it. Just get a load of nuts and crisps.

I could do a chilli with some mince beef substitute and serve up with rice and chunks of bread. That'll do.

Any suggestions on the minced beef substitute?

Minced lamb? I don't think sheep fart anywhere near as much as cows so aren't destroying the planet.

• Hold a "who can eat the most roast potatoes" competition, first prize a shiny new sixpence* and give them dry, tastless spuds that weren't done in goose fat. *20p piece
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to read this thread to her

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom