Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eldest daughter has gone Vegan...what Christmas nibbles to feed her?

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Virgo (23 AUG-22 SEP)
    On Friday you meet a vegan from Yorkshire who has a seizure deciding which of those two to tell you first.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    ESBlonde said:
    ...wouldn't of...
    Most disturbing thing in this thread so far...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Yeah I really don’t get the whole meat substitute thing if you want to eat meat then eat meat, if you don’t want to eat meat then eat vegetables. 

In in all seriousness it is piss easy to make a vegetarian version of virtually any meat dish without resorting to meat substitutes like quorn (roast beef, chicken, pork etc, excepted). 

All it take is the carefull full application of your brain for example, chicken fajitas, replace the chicken with more peppers and mushrooms. 

Or or how about a nice stew, replace the beef with baby carrots(or other veg), use some vegetarian gravy, and viola a nice carroty soup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    77ric said:
    Yeah I really don’t get the whole meat substitute thing if you want to eat meat then eat meat, if you don’t want to eat meat then eat vegetables. 

why?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PC_Dave said:
    Snap said:
    Octafish said:

Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products :s
    Here's the thing that some meateaters struggle with: the idea that people who don't eat meat don't like it.

I loved meat. I don't eat meat cos I don't like it. I am vegetarian as I don't like eating something that has been walking about, and more often than not, has had a miserable suffering horrible life, farmed and produced on the cheap. I don't like the idea of killing something so I can eat it. We don;t need to do that these days, so I choose not to. Each to their own.

So, for me, a meat substitute that looks like meat, tastes like meat is perfect. Couple of years ago, I got served a real burger by mistake, in a restaurant. It tasted great for sure, but had to go back! Never disputed the fact that meat tastes great. It does. But if I can have that taste, with something that hasn't come from killing and slicing up an animal, that's perfect.
    You can! McDonalds burgers - no real meat there. They taste good!
    I did used to like a big mac, oh aye.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I suggest a lettuce sandwich.

That is, two pieces of lettuce, with a piece of lettuce in the middle.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited November 2017
    Snap said:
    Octafish said:

Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products s
    Here's the thing that some meateaters struggle with: the idea that people who don't eat meat don't like it.

I loved meat. I don't eat meat cos I don't like it. I am vegetarian as I don't like eating something that has been walking about, and more often than not, has had a miserable suffering horrible life, farmed and produced on the cheap. I don't like the idea of killing something so I can eat it. We don;t need to do that these days, so I choose not to. Each to their own.

So, for me, a meat substitute that looks like meat, tastes like meat is perfect. Couple of years ago, I got served a real burger by mistake, in a restaurant. It tasted great for sure, but had to go back! Never disputed the fact that meat tastes great. It does. But if I can have that taste, with something that hasn't come from killing and slicing up an animal, that's perfect.
    I don't. I struggle with the idea that those who think eating meat is abhorent, eat food that is a poor imitation of said abhorent meat product, but I'll live with it.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    Octafish said:

DefaultM said:
    Snap said:
    DefaultM said:
    If you're doing a buffet then get houmous, pittas, linda McCartney sausage rolls, pringles, falafel, samosas, spring rolls, oreos, supermarket own brand mint thins.

There's loads of stuff, but the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it. Her partner however will be happy to drink their breast milk and eat their periods as he's a sick fuck.
    Eggs and milk in there mate. Good as they are.

And your last sentence - man, you are warped!
    @snap I've only just started buying them recently, but they say suitable for vegans on the front of the box so the recipe must have changed.
    They're so good though. I had a gig a few weeks ago and we weren't getting fed so I brought those and ended up having 3 haha.

I've always thought that milk and eggs were a bit odd to be honest, but I was brought up to eat them as I was told they're good for you.

If my wife squeezed me out a fresh glass of her breastmilk I'd wonder what the fuck was going on. I don't need or want that as it's for my daughter, and I think 99% of people would agree. We'll all happily drink the equivalent from another species though, which when you think about it is pretty weird.
    Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products :s

I've written a reply, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure of your point so apologies if I've missed it.

Plenty of foods are flavoured in a way that imitates other products.
    I ate meat for 28 years and I know that I like the taste of sausage rolls, so I bought some wondering if they're the same. They were and they tasted good so I bought some more.

Some meat flavoured Pringles crisps are also meat free, and I know I like those so I got some. I'm not going to start limiting the animal free foods that I can eat just because the company wrote the name of a meat flavour on the packet.

Animals have a delicious flavour, so if I can get that delicious flavour without something dying whats the issue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric said:

In in all seriousness it is piss easy to make a vegetarian version of virtually any meat dish without resorting to meat substitutes like quorn (roast beef, chicken, pork etc, excepted). 

All it take is the carefull full application of your brain for example, chicken fajitas, replace the chicken with more peppers and mushrooms. 

Or or how about a nice stew, replace the beef with baby carrots(or other veg), use some vegetarian gravy, and viola a nice carroty soup. 

Meat substitutes are handy because they are protein.  You can't just take the protein out of every meal and replace it with carrots, peppers and mushrooms, or you'll blow over on a windy day.   That said, there are other good sources of protein other than meat substitutes, but not all are complete proteins so vegans probably need to spread protein intake over a few different sources.  This is why it's so much easier to be a vegetarian than a vegan, eggs and milk I believe are complete proteins (containing all the essential amino acids), whereas nuts, beans and legumes aren't.

Luckily for vegans quinoa is a complete protein.  When I say luckily, I say it from a position of not needing to eat the stuff myself because it's not really a word I'd associate with quinoa.

Octafish said:
    Snap said:
    Octafish said:

Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products s

I don't. I struggle with the idea that those who think eating meat is abhorent, eat food that is a poor imitation of said abhorent meat product, but I'll live with it.

But what's it got to do with you? Why is that a problem for you? If you don't like it, don't eat it!

In the same way, what's anyone's eating habits got to do with me either? Or what anyone chooses to like to eat/not to eat?

People make their lifestyle choices and get on with it. The problems start when the judgemental attitudes and comments arise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    Octafish said:

DefaultM said:

@snap I've only just started buying them recently, but they say suitable for vegans on the front of the box so the recipe must have changed.
    They're so good though. I had a gig a few weeks ago and we weren't getting fed so I brought those and ended up having 3 haha.

I've always thought that milk and eggs were a bit odd to be honest, but I was brought up to eat them as I was told they're good for you.

If my wife squeezed me out a fresh glass of her breastmilk I'd wonder what the fuck was going on. I don't need or want that as it's for my daughter, and I think 99% of people would agree. We'll all happily drink the equivalent from another species though, which when you think about it is pretty weird.

I've written a reply, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure of your point so apologies if I've missed it.

I ate meat for 28 years and I know that I like the taste of sausage rolls, so I bought some wondering if they're the same. They were and they tasted good so I bought some more.

Some meat flavoured Pringles crisps are also meat free, and I know I like those so I got some. I'm not going to start limiting the animal free foods that I can eat just because the company wrote the name of a meat flavour on the packet.

Animals have a delicious flavour, so if I can get that delicious flavour without something dying whats the issue?
    You find people drinking cows milk weird, I find it weird that people who object to eating animal products buy imitation animal products that don't taste anywhere near as nice as the product it imitates, that's all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’m a meat eater but as I work shifts I think I eat too much processed meat. So I do a big veggie lentil ragu. I either have this with pasta, or topped with Mash like a Shepard’s pie. I also have it as a base topped with gourmet sausages. So you could always substitute Linda McCarneys or whatever. DM me if you want the receipe. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eldest Daughter has gone Vegan and her fella is Vege and they are coming over during the Christmas hols. I was going to lay on some nibbles, buffet type food. I don't really want to spend hours in the kitchen so what ready to cook or simple to prepare stuff can I serve up?

We're full meat eating omnivores in our house so a bit clueless when it comes to this Vegan lark and so I'm guessing mini pork pies, cheese filled potato skins, BBQ ribs etc. are out.

Any suggestions?

Hello, vegan here.

First of all, get to Holland And Barratt for a Tofurkey roast, if you want a Christmas dinner option. They will sell out nearer xmas though so don't leave it too late.

Savouries - Pringles, twiglets, kettle chips etc. Plain salted tortilla chips and hummus is a great option. You can get Linda McCartney cocktail sausages, quorn vegan nuggets (beware the non-vegan versions, the vegan ones are clearly labelled). In Poundland you can get bags of tomato and basil mini bruschettas, which are delicious. Falafels are a good option too. Sainsburys and Tesco also do their own vegan cheese blocks (and I think Sainsburys actually do an xmas cheese board) but don't try any if you aren't vegan, you might shrivel up and die!). Veg crudites are good too, and you can get vegan mayo/sauces in the Free From section in Tesco. Many of the frozen Indian/Chinese veg snack selection options are vegan too - you can often get a box of 20 different bits or whatever.

Sweets - Sainsburys Free From section has tubs of Rocky Road/Brownies. Party Rings, Oreos, Lotus biscuits. Tesco has vegan creme caramel mini desserts. Alpro make dairy free creams and custards, and allegedly larger Sainsburys stores now have vegan aerosol cream. Many pre-packed mince pies and xmas puddings are vegan if you check the ingredients, and Tesco have a marzipan stollen cake that is vegan. Aldi (and also your local Polski Sklep shop) have dark chocolate covered lebkuchen cakes that are vegan too.

Hope that is of use. PM me if you need more suggestions or info :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I’ve just wiz’d RandallFlagg for creating one of one of the funniest threads I’ve seen this year. Wiping the tears away!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    My wife is a CBT therapist, currently working with a chap suffering from PTSD, a big tough guy. The reason for the PTSD? Working in a slaughterhouse. Poor guy plagued by nightmares of the abuse that was seen as "having a laugh" by the workforce, the blood and screaming and shit and filth. The guy said it was commonplace at other abbatoirs too.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    Octafish said:
    DefaultM said:
    Octafish said:

DefaultM said:

You find people drinking cows milk weird, I find it weird that people who object to eating animal products buy imitation animal products that don't taste anywhere near as nice as the product it imitates, that's all.
    Yeah but I explained why I feel that drinking cows milk is weird. You haven't explained why what I'm doing is weird, other than that in your opinion they don't taste as nice as the real thing.

I prefer Linda McCartney sausages to pork because they're not greasy. I prefer hazelnut milk to cow milk because I think it tastes better.
    I can get 6 veggie or meat free burgers for 99p, and compared to the equivalent priced beef burger they're way better. 
    They're not better than a Sainsburys finest ultimate steak burger, but ive not tried an equivalent price veggie or meat free burger yet.

I won't be buying any imitation steak any time soon because you can just tell it's going to be fucking shit, but a standard sausage roll isn't exactly jam packed with quality meat in the first place.
  • Octafish said:
    DefaultM said:
    Octafish said:

DefaultM said:

I find it weird that some people are so defensive about their desire to eat dead animals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    My wife is a CBT therapist, currently working with a chap suffering from PTSD, a big tough guy. The reason for the PTSD? Working in a slaughterhouse. Poor guy plagued by nightmares of the abuse that was seen as "having a laugh" by the workforce, the blood and screaming and shit and filth. The guy said it was commonplace at other abbatoirs too.
    Sadly it is more commonplace than people realise. The problem is partly down to cheap meat production, which puts pressure along the chain, which can result in lower control of this sort of thing.

My grandad was the village butcher. As a kid I spent a lot of time in his shop, and would go to the abbatoir and farms with him. All the meat he sold was farmed and killed locally, fresh, healthy, owned, grown and killed with respect. A system that is hard to fault IMO.

Unfortunately its harder to find and more expensive to find these days.

One of the main reasons I just stepped out of that way of eating. Not that this makes me better or worse than anyone else.

What you eat is upto each person. I dont think there's any harm in being informed as to what is on your plate though, and how it got there.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Beef-free Findus Lasagne.
    Snap said:
    Octafish said:
    Snap said:
    Octafish said:

But what's it got to do with you? Why is that a problem for you? If you don't like it, don't eat it!

In the same way, what's anyone's eating habits got to do with me either? Or what anyone chooses to like to eat/not to eat?

Eh? It's discussion on a forum, funnily enough such discussions lead to people expressing opinions. You might as well say what's anything got to do with anyone? I simply expressed an opinion about non-meat eaters eating imtitation meat products as a slightly jokey reposte to another poster. Ultimatley it's not a big problem for me, not sure why you think it is. As you may have noted I did say 'I'll live with it', i.e it's just my opinion and I'll let others get on with their thing.