Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eldest daughter has gone Vegan...what Christmas nibbles to feed her?

What's Hot

Comments

• Think yourself lucky.

She could have gone Vogon. In which case you'd be subject to hours of shit poetry.
    Can someone explain this joke, please? My friend doesn't understand.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    I can completely understand the stick that vegans get. My mother in law is vegan and never shuts the fuck up about it or how hard it is. If we go round for an hour she will mention it at least 4 times, yet when I was eating meat I didn't feel the need to mention that every 15 minutes.

Then I had a child and it was as simple as thinking that I wouldn't have been happy if someone came in to the hospital shortly after she was born, took her, tied her up until she became tender and ate her, so it would be hypocritical for me to continue taking part in that myself with other species. 

Being vegan is very easy. You go in to the supermarket, look at the ingredients and if it says it includes an animal product you just put it back and pick something else. Thats it.

It's only eating food. It doesn't need to be your only identity and you don't have to mention it all day every day. No one in real life even knows I'm vegan, because why would they need to?
    I now make chilli with one different ingredient and I dont put cheese on top of it anymore. Big deal.

To be fair, nearly all of vegan based preaching I see nowadays is by meat eaters going on about vegans preaching all the time, rather than vegan's actually preaching.  Then follows loads of jokes about lettuce, tell them to bring their own food etc etc.   I know a few vegan's and none of them mention what they eat, but they do seem to have people take up the subject with them all the time, insist that the issue is discussed, then probably go home telling everybody they talked to a preachy vegan. 

This is all anecdotal I suppose, one preachy vegan would get on my tits, but I'm firmly of the opinion everybody should concentrate on what they eat and not worry about others.  Exactly what you are saying to be fair, my point really just that it very much goes both ways. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    quarky said:

Quorn mince I can stomach, Quorn chicken is just fucking foul though. 
    It's not fowl its Quorn :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Think yourself lucky.

She could have gone Vogon. In which case you'd be subject to hours of shit poetry.
    Can someone explain this joke, please? My friend doesn't understand.

HHGTG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7367
    DefaultM said:
    I can completely understand the stick that vegans get. My mother in law is vegan and never shuts the fuck up about it or how hard it is. If we go round for an hour she will mention it at least 4 times, yet when I was eating meat I didn't feel the need to mention that every 15 minutes.

Then I had a child and it was as simple as thinking that I wouldn't have been happy if someone came in to the hospital shortly after she was born, took her, tied her up until she became tender and ate her, so it would be hypocritical for me to continue taking part in that myself with other species. 

Being vegan is very easy. You go in to the supermarket, look at the ingredients and if it says it includes an animal product you just put it back and pick something else. Thats it.

It's only eating food. It doesn't need to be your only identity and you don't have to mention it all day every day. No one in real life even knows I'm vegan, because why would they need to?
    I now make chilli with one different ingredient and I dont put cheese on top of it anymore. Big deal.

To be fair, nearly all of vegan based preaching I see nowadays is by meat eaters going on about vegans preaching all the time, rather than vegan's actually preaching.  Then follows loads of jokes about lettuce, tell them to bring their own food etc etc.   I know a few vegan's and none of them mention what they eat, but they do seem to have people take up the subject with them all the time, insist that the issue is discussed, then probably go home telling everybody they talked to a preachy vegan. 

This is all anecdotal I suppose, one preachy vegan would get on my tits, but I'm firmly of the opinion everybody should concentrate on what they eat and not worry about others.  Exactly what you are saying to be fair, my point really just that it very much goes both ways. 

I wish it was the same here.
    A few years ago we were on a camping trip and the mother in law suddenly started on a massive rant at us for sharing a Stella Artois Cidre.
    Apparently it has crushed beetles in it.
    She seemed to take more issue with this than the chicken, keema and cheese I'd just been eating in the tent.

I wouldn't mind, but she sometimes justifies that she's allowed to 'cheat' and have a margarita pizza if it's been a tough day, so in my opinion she's not even a vegan, she's a vegetarian that only occasionally eats dairy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •   DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:

I wish it was the same here.
    A few years ago we were on a camping trip and the mother in law suddenly started on a massive rant at us for sharing a Stella Artois Cidre.
    Apparently it has crushed beetles in it.
    She seemed to take more issue with this than the chicken, keema and cheese I'd just been eating in the tent.

I wouldn't mind, but she sometimes justifies that she's allowed to 'cheat' and have a margarita pizza if it's been a tough day, so in my opinion she's not even a vegan, she's a vegetarian that only occasionally eats dairy.
    Anybody who says anything bad about stella can fuck right off.  Bloody vegans!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    Snap said:
    DefaultM said:
    If you're doing a buffet then get houmous, pittas, linda McCartney sausage rolls, pringles, falafel, samosas, spring rolls, oreos, supermarket own brand mint thins.

There's loads of stuff, but the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it. Her partner however will be happy to drink their breast milk and eat their periods as he's a sick fuck.
    Eggs and milk in there mate. Good as they are.

And your last sentence - man, you are warped!
    @snap I've only just started buying them recently, but they say suitable for vegans on the front of the box so the recipe must have changed.
    They're so good though. I had a gig a few weeks ago and we weren't getting fed so I brought those and ended up having 3 haha.

I've always thought that milk and eggs were a bit odd to be honest, but I was brought up to eat them as I was told they're good for you.

If my wife squeezed me out a fresh glass of her breastmilk I'd wonder what the fuck was going on. I don't need or want that as it's for my daughter, and I think 99% of people would agree. We'll all happily drink the equivalent from another species though, which when you think about it is pretty weird.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    First rule of Vegan Club - Tell everyone about Vegan Club. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534

I have encountered some staunch veggie/vegan people who not only object to meat, but also to suitable recipes prepared using pots, pans or utensils that they believe might conceivably have been in contact with meat at some time in the past. 
    Had that in the past - friend of a friend turns up (very late) to a BBQ, asks me "Which bit of the BBQ have you kept for veggie food?"

<Looks at the 25+ non-veggies present, looks at BBQ covered in remnants of charred meat, looks rather pointedly at friend who brought her along>

Friend then says "Come on, we'll do it in the kitchen..."

Re most talk about vegans coming from non-vegans, that's not my experience - my half-niece (about my age) and her husband are both vegans, and 80% of what they post on FB is either "Yum, found this great vegan restaurant" (fine) or "Meat is evil, look at these poor awful animals, how can people be so cruel" (not fine).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    DLM said:
    That's my mother in law. 

"What the fuck are you doing in here?! This is the men's toi..."
    "Nutritional yeast is so much tastier than cheese, and I would know. I'm a vegan. See how clear my piss is? No toxins in me".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    Militant vegans are quite the thing aren't they?  I've made the switch lately for health reasons and as it's new I've been getting some books to get ideas ... some of them are like bloody manifestos rather than cook books.

I prefer to think of it as a non-diary vegetarian ... easier ... too many rules around every product type.  And I'm not going to suddenly burn all my leather jackets ... having worked in the meat industry it would be massively hypocritical.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited November 2017
    DefaultM said:
    If my wife squeezed me out a fresh glass of her breastmilk I'd wonder what the fuck was going on. I don't need or want that as it's for my daughter, and I think 99% of people would agree.
    I'm afraid the content of a vast quantity of spam mails I've received over the years suggests something entirely different... :astonished:
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937

DefaultM said:
    Snap said:
    DefaultM said:
    If you're doing a buffet then get houmous, pittas, linda McCartney sausage rolls, pringles, falafel, samosas, spring rolls, oreos, supermarket own brand mint thins.

There's loads of stuff, but the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it. Her partner however will be happy to drink their breast milk and eat their periods as he's a sick fuck.
    Eggs and milk in there mate. Good as they are.

And your last sentence - man, you are warped!
    @snap I've only just started buying them recently, but they say suitable for vegans on the front of the box so the recipe must have changed.
    They're so good though. I had a gig a few weeks ago and we weren't getting fed so I brought those and ended up having 3 haha.

I've always thought that milk and eggs were a bit odd to be honest, but I was brought up to eat them as I was told they're good for you.

If my wife squeezed me out a fresh glass of her breastmilk I'd wonder what the fuck was going on. I don't need or want that as it's for my daughter, and I think 99% of people would agree. We'll all happily drink the equivalent from another species though, which when you think about it is pretty weird.
    Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Turns out that non-vegans can also eat vegan food. Who knew?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    Turns out that non-vegans can also eat vegan food. Who knew?
    Huh?!? Blasphemy!! LIES!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    It is said that if mankind hadn't eaten meat during our evolotion, we wouldn't of had the protien required to develop our brains so we know that eating meat is bad for us!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Octafish said:

Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products :s
    Here's the thing that some meateaters struggle with: the idea that people who don't eat meat don't like it.

I loved meat. I don't eat meat cos I don't like it. I am vegetarian as I don't like eating something that has been walking about, and more often than not, has had a miserable suffering horrible life, farmed and produced on the cheap. I don't like the idea of killing something so I can eat it. We don;t need to do that these days, so I choose not to. Each to their own.

So, for me, a meat substitute that looks like meat, tastes like meat is perfect. Couple of years ago, I got served a real burger by mistake, in a restaurant. It tasted great for sure, but had to go back! Never disputed the fact that meat tastes great. It does. But if I can have that taste, with something that hasn't come from killing and slicing up an animal, that's perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    DefaultM said:

well there you go! I do like them. Most people do. All the taste of a sausage roll and none of the arseholes, lips, tits and pipes.
    Snap said:
    Octafish said:

Here's the thing that some meateaters struggle with: the idea that people who don't eat meat don't like it.

I loved meat. I don't eat meat cos I don't like it. I am vegetarian as I don't like eating something that has been walking about, and more often than not, has had a miserable suffering horrible life, farmed and produced on the cheap. I don't like the idea of killing something so I can eat it. We don;t need to do that these days, so I choose not to. Each to their own.

So, for me, a meat substitute that looks like meat, tastes like meat is perfect. Couple of years ago, I got served a real burger by mistake, in a restaurant. It tasted great for sure, but had to go back! Never disputed the fact that meat tastes great. It does. But if I can have that taste, with something that hasn't come from killing and slicing up an animal, that's perfect.
    You can! McDonalds burgers - no real meat there. They taste good!