Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eldest daughter has gone Vegan...what Christmas nibbles to feed her?

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    DefaultM said:
    Octafish said:
    DefaultM said:
    Octafish said:

DefaultM said:

@snap I've only just started buying them recently, but they say suitable for vegans on the front of the box so the recipe must have changed.
    They're so good though. I had a gig a few weeks ago and we weren't getting fed so I brought those and ended up having 3 haha.

I've always thought that milk and eggs were a bit odd to be honest, but I was brought up to eat them as I was told they're good for you.

If my wife squeezed me out a fresh glass of her breastmilk I'd wonder what the fuck was going on. I don't need or want that as it's for my daughter, and I think 99% of people would agree. We'll all happily drink the equivalent from another species though, which when you think about it is pretty weird.
    Says the person happily eating an non-meat imititation of a meat product because they don't like the idea of meat products s

I've written a reply, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure of your point so apologies if I've missed it.

Plenty of foods are flavoured in a way that imitates other products.
    I ate meat for 28 years and I know that I like the taste of sausage rolls, so I bought some wondering if they're the same. They were and they tasted good so I bought some more.

Some meat flavoured Pringles crisps are also meat free, and I know I like those so I got some. I'm not going to start limiting the animal free foods that I can eat just because the company wrote the name of a meat flavour on the packet.

Animals have a delicious flavour, so if I can get that delicious flavour without something dying whats the issue?
    You find people drinking cows milk weird, I find it weird that people who object to eating animal products buy imitation animal products that don't taste anywhere near as nice as the product it imitates, that's all.
    Yeah but I explained why I feel that drinking cows milk is weird. You haven't explained why what I'm doing is weird, other than that in your opinion they don't taste as nice as the real thing.

I prefer Linda McCartney sausages to pork because they're not greasy. I prefer hazelnut milk to cow milk because I think it tastes better.
    I can get 6 veggie or meat free burgers for 99p, and compared to the equivalent priced beef burger they're way better. 
    They're not better than a Sainsburys finest ultimate steak burger, but ive not tried an equivalent price veggie or meat free burger yet.

I won't be buying any imitation steak any time soon because you can just tell it's going to be fucking shit, but a standard sausage roll isn't exactly jam packed with quality meat in the first place.
      I have explained it as much as you've explained your opinion on milk, but one last go.... because you don't like the idea of eating dead animals, yet eat food developed around eating dead animals. Fine if you don't get that point, don't get hung up on it, each to their own. Yes, most meat from supermarkets is rubbish and from poorly treated anti-biotic laden animals, a 99p burger is going to be filth as is a standard sausage roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044

I don't really want to spend hours in the kitchen so what ready to cook or simple to prepare stuff can I serve up?

We're full meat eating omnivores in our house so a bit clueless when it comes to this Vegan lark and so I'm guessing mini pork pies, cheese filled potato skins, BBQ ribs etc. are out.

Any suggestions?

Ah, just ask her what's easiest.  She'll be fine and she knows you don't know/ care the first thing about her preferences or why she's made them so she'll be happy to bring her own food and simply enjoy being with her family.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Snap said:

Sadly it is more commonplace than people realise. The problem is partly down to cheap meat production, which puts pressure along the chain, which can result in lower control of this sort of thing.

My grandad was the village butcher. As a kid I spent a lot of time in his shop, and would go to the abbatoir and farms with him. All the meat he sold was farmed and killed locally, fresh, healthy, owned, grown and killed with respect. A system that is hard to fault IMO.

Unfortunately its harder to find and more expensive to find these days.

One of the main reasons I just stepped out of that way of eating. Not that this makes me better or worse than anyone else.

What you eat is upto each person. I dont think there's any harm in being informed as to what is on your plate though, and how it got there.

I'm not sure it is. Meat used to be expensive and in some cases a luxury. Is it not more that many got hooked on cheap supermarket rubbish and expect to be able to eat meat all the time. Chicken used to be a luxury that many only had on special occasions such as Christmas. Nowadays people expect a chicken for a couple of quid and don't care that's low welfare, shitty tasting crap if it means it's cheap and they can have one every week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6719
    Do what you gotta do, eat what you gotta eat, just don't give me a hard time for any choices that I've made about my diet.

I never proselytise or condemn others for their choices unless they're taking away the liberty of others. In which case, I am more than willing to sit down and have a balanced, thoughtful conversation with them to find out more.

I am occasionally attacked by people who seem to get very defensive and clearly feel attacked by my choices about myself. I find that a little weird. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, MacSweens Vegetarian haggis is obtainable and vegan . That’s a tasty treat and just needs heating through. Goes well with the winter veggies you have around Xmas. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    quarky said:
    Think yourself lucky.

She could have gone Vogon. In which case you'd be subject to hours of shit poetry.
    Can someone explain this joke, please? My friend doesn't understand.

HHGTG
    It's a HItchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference. Here is an example of Vogon poetry,
    " Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
    Thy micturations are to me,(with big yawning)
    As plurdled gabbleblotchits,
    On a lurgid bee,
    That mordiously hath blurted out,
    Its earted jurtles, grumbling
    Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer. [drowned out by moaning and screaming]
    Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,
    Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,
    And living glupules frart and stipulate,
    Like jowling meated liverslime,
    Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
    And hooptiously drangle me,
    With crinkly bindlewurdles,mashurbitries.
    Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
    See if I don't!
    (I probably won't!)"
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I fully understand the ethical reason for go veggie/vegan, but it would be such a massive hassle for me (and I do love meat). Bravo for those that do though.  

If I was single, I think I would give it a real shot. As it is, meat substitute is a good alternative on occasion, and if I am doing a spag-bol or chilli, I don't need to defrost the mince. So it is actually more convenient at times.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4280
    Fucking hippies. Going veggie/vegan is a big missed steak.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm probably not going to go vegan anytime soon as right now the majority of my diet is mainly big bits of meat.

The problem I have with vegans is that there are some that won't stop going on about it. I had a friend who was (and probably still is) vegan, and I went with him and some of my other friends to Pizza Express, when it came to ordering he told the waiter what he wanted and then started going on forever about him being a vegan and why his diet is so much healthier than ours. 

Then when the food arrived he told me I was a disgusting human being for eating the beef that was on my Pizza! I told him that he could either shut up or leave and so he stayed quiet. I haven't spoken to him since and don't particularly want to either.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    If the subject comes up I always get asked why I'm veggie. But then people don't really want to know, Its considered bad form to start "going on" about cruelty, industrial farming, etc etc. especially as this conversation usually pops up when eating. Do yourself a favour and don't ask, I'm not about to ask you why you eat dead animals. I know why - it tastes good,  I used to love it myself and one day I started thinking about it and it made me feel bad, Now some people it doesn't bother them or they compartmentalize those thoughts so that they are on a dusty shelf in the back of their mind that justifies their actions.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Yeah, this.
    I ended up having to stop going to restaurants with people I don't know very well simply because every time, someone would make a huge point once my veggie meal arrived, expecting me to justify myself and basically being extremely confrontational about it. Every. Fucking. Time.
    While I have met a small number of vegans who have been very preachy, the vast majority of the time (and I'd estimate that to be around 95%) it's an omnivore that's taken exception to my being there, solely due to what I don't eat.
    To be honest, I find it rather puzzling.
    Just as well I don't lump all omnivores in with the jerks, eh!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    lol. Yep, I find it very tiresome that so many people assume its alright to interrogate you about why you don't eat meat/fish. Really tiresome. To the point where I have begun to say "I just am, and would rather not discuss it" or "well, why do you eat meat?"

Don't know many vegans tbh.

LIke I said earlier, live and let live. What you eat is your personal choice, don't expect other people to have to agree with that choice. Just get on with it, minimal fuss.

OTherwise you are a ponce!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • In my house, we eat a gluten-free vegan diet - plus meat. While it sounds like a piss-take, my son's allergic to wheat/ dairy/eggs, so anything marked as gluten-free or vegan is fine for him. There's a great show at Olympia in July (The Allergy and Free From Show) where you can eat lots of free samples and find out for yourself what substitute stuff is tasty and what tastes like shoe insoles, before forking out good money for something that's mail order only.
  • ^ ^ forgot to mention, most of the free-from stuff is also vegan, including dark chocolate - yum!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    Snap said: but
    lol. Yep, I find it very tiresome that so many people assume its alright to interrogate you about why you don't eat meat/fish. Really tiresome. To the point where I have begun to say "I just am, and would rather not discuss it" or "well, why do you eat meat?"

Don't know many vegans tbh.

LIke I said earlier, live and let live. What you eat is your personal choice, don't expect other people to have to agree with that choice. Just get on with it, minimal fuss.

OTherwise you are a ponce!
    My experience too. As soon as people find out I'm veggie, I'm asked when did I become vegetarian and why. To which I answer, I can't remember, and I don't know.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited November 2017

The only vegan I know is my cousin, and he's a proper wanker. Those two facts are not linked, however. He'd still be a proper wanker if he ate meat.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    DLM said:

We auditioned a new drummer. Played a bit. It was great. Now on to the "interview questions".

Bassist: "What is your relationship to sausage?"

Drummer: "I eat it."

Bassist: "You've got the job."

I've known rhythm sections like that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    fob said:
    DLM said:

We auditioned a new drummer. Played a bit. It was great. Now on to the "interview questions".

Bassist: "What is your relationship to sausage?"

Drummer: "I eat it."

Bassist: "You've got the job."

I've known rhythm sections like that.
    It’s how most of the entertainment world works ...allegedly  ;)
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @RandallFlagg Why don't you just get your wife to make her famous stew?