Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eldest daughter has gone Vegan...what Christmas nibbles to feed her?

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Fray Bentos? They're generally meat free.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7371
    Octafish said:
    LuttiS said:
    The Quorn mince is a great mince beef alternative..  I'm not full on vegetarian, just don't eat a lot of meat - when in a sauce there is not a lot of difference between Quorn mince and regular.

If you do roast potatoes watch out how you cook them - My first properish job was a waiter many years ago.. had this vegan in who was very vocal about the whole thing.. changed the roast meal to accommodate. Told them that the potatoes were cooked in duck fat.. they said that's fine. I imagine for most other vegan that's not fine :)
    If it's decent beef mince (as opposed to the insipid supermarket stuff) there really is.
    There definitely is a difference in texture.
    The quorn 'chicken' pieces are a bit softer then real chicken, but they include egg so you won't want to get those. You can get quorn vegan pieces, but they're quite mushy. 
    Taste in something like a curry is exactly the same however because you're covering it in a sauce.

Same with mince. Tesco soya mince is absolute mush, but it tastes the same as regular mince if you're putting it in something like chilli. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Linda McCartney - it didn't do her any good, did it? :/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    edited November 2017
    We are veggie and have all the family over for xmas dinner so I’m cooking for about 15 of us I’m substituting our meat with quorn roasts and that it, it’s only the meat you are replacing, everything else is veggie anyway, the inlaws are bringing their own cuts of meat. It isn’t bloody brain surgery! I make a massive vegan chocolate cake with custard for the young uns and regular pud for the adults.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Serve them up a pot noodle each. I believe the Beef & Tomato ones are Vegan. (seriously..)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    edited November 2017
    Thanks guys, I think you have all saved Christmas for me, I knew I could count on you.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7371
    edited November 2017
    I can completely understand the stick that vegans get. My mother in law is vegan and never shuts the fuck up about it or how hard it is. If we go round for an hour she will mention it at least 4 times, yet when I was eating meat I didn't feel the need to mention that every 15 minutes.

Then I had a child and it was as simple as thinking that I wouldn't have been happy if someone came in to the hospital shortly after she was born, took her, tied her up until she became tender and ate her, so it would be hypocritical for me to continue taking part in that myself with other species. 

Being vegan is very easy. You go in to the supermarket, look at the ingredients and if it says it includes an animal product you just put it back and pick something else. Thats it.

It's only eating food. It doesn't need to be your only identity and you don't have to mention it all day every day. No one in real life even knows I'm vegan, because why would they need to?
    I now make chilli with one different ingredient and I dont put cheese on top of it anymore. Big deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

The old drummer in the band went vegan overnight. Full-on preachy vegan. We did our best with him. He moved away.

We auditioned a new drummer. Played a bit. It was great. Now on to the "interview questions".

Bassist: "What is your relationship to sausage?"

Drummer: "I eat it."

Bassist: "You've got the job."

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    I can completely understand the stick that vegans get. My mother in law is vegan and never shuts the fuck up about it or how hard it is. If we go round for an hour she will mention it at least 4 times, yet when I was eating meat I didn't feel the need to mention that every 15 minutes.

Then I had a child and it was as simple as thinking that I wouldn't have been happy if someone came in to the hospital shortly after she was born, took her, tied her up until she became tender and ate her, so it would be hypocritical for me to continue taking part in that myself with other species. 

Being vegan is very easy. You go in to the supermarket, look at the ingredients and if it says it includes an animal product you just put it back and pick something else. Thats it.

It's only eating food. It doesn't need to be your only identity and you don't have to mention it all day every day. No one in real life even knows I'm vegan, because why would they need to?
    I now make chilli with one different ingredient and I dont put cheese on top of it anymore. Big deal.

well there's no need to keep banging on about it on the internet.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    One of my favourite Top Tips from Viz was; 

Pork sausages make ideal vegetarian sausages for vegetarians who are too polite to complain. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    DefaultM said:
    The quorn 'chicken' pieces are a bit softer then real chicken, but they include egg so you won't want to get those. You can get quorn vegan pieces, but they're quite mushy. 
    Taste in something like a curry is exactly the same however because you're covering it in a sauce.

Same with mince. Tesco soya mince is absolute mush, but it tastes the same as regular mince if you're putting it in something like chilli. 
    Quorn mince I can stomach, Quorn chicken is just fucking foul though. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    edited November 2017
    This is good,

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Frys-Soy--Quinoa-Country-Roast/297115011?dnr=y

Have it with some roast potatoes & cooked veg on the side
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Nothing wrong in vegetable dishes, I eat lots of them. What concerns me is that New Man is influencing control over daughter - or does she have a mind of her own?
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    quarky said:
    DefaultM said:

Quorn mince I can stomach, Quorn chicken is just fucking foul though. 

Make sure you pick up the right pack though, most Quorn isn't vegan as it's got egg and milk in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    edited November 2017
    ESBlonde said:
    Nothing wrong in vegetable dishes, I eat lots of them. What concerns me is that New Man is influencing control over daughter - or does she have a mind of her own?

Other way around. He used to eat meat a year ago! Poor fucker, he's an Aussie as well. I feel like slipping him a pasty under the table just to give him some hope.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Can she have wafer-thin ham?*

*Line from an episode of The Royle Family
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Linda McCartney 
    The world's third most famous vegetarian. (Paul is second.) ;)

I have encountered some staunch veggie/vegan people who not only object to meat, but also to suitable recipes prepared using pots, pans or utensils that they believe might conceivably have been in contact with meat at some time in the past. 

Veganic said:
    don't forget to buy them a puppy.
    Got any good recipes for that?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Snap said:
    Do some sort of nut roast,
    olives, stuffed vine leaves, sundried tomatoes, vegan cheese (not as bad as it sounds), veg crudites, dips (plenty of vegan).
    Rice salad, pasta, cous cous, quinoa, bulgar wheat. ALl easy enough, and probably can get ready made in packs.

Or, just do a big pot of veg curry and rice. Or chilli, with load of beans. Should only take 1/2 hour or so to do that.

Got to holland and barrret, ask them, probably easiest.

Veganism seems to be a trendy thing these days. I've been vegetarian for 25 years plus, but couldn't go the whole vegan thing. Eat a lot of vegan food, but it is IMO a step too far for permanent. Too fussy and tricky, and punitive.

In fact, forget it. Just get a load of nuts and crisps.

I could do a chilli with some mince beef substitute and serve up with rice and chunks of bread. That'll do.

Any suggestions on the minced beef substitute?

Minced lamb? I don't think sheep fart anywhere near as much as cows so aren't destroying the planet.

Don't get Quorn mince cos its got eggs in it. Any supermarket own brand is alright - Tesco and Sainsbury's veg mince is vegan.

Top tip - whilst frying your mince, fry it in a bit of water too, so it soaks it up a bit, swells a bit. That seems to help with the massive amount of wind it can give you. RealEat Veg Mince is a killer for this: lethal stuff.

Tbh, I'd consider just making a bean chili - put a load of beans and chick peas in it, use puy lentils instead of mince, plenty of flavouring through stock and that. Sorted. Though beware, the non vegans will end up crippled with wind.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited November 2017
    DefaultM said:
    If you're doing a buffet then get houmous, pittas, linda McCartney sausage rolls, pringles, falafel, samosas, spring rolls, oreos, supermarket own brand mint thins.

There's loads of stuff, but the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it. Her partner however will be happy to drink their breast milk and eat their periods as he's a sick fuck.
    Eggs and milk in there mate. Good as they are.

And your last sentence - man, you are warped!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Linda McCartney 
    The world's third most famous vegetarian. (Paul is second.) ;)

I have encountered some staunch veggie/vegan people who not only object to meat, but also to suitable recipes prepared using pots, pans or utensils that they believe might conceivably have been in contact with meat at some time in the past. 

Veganic said:
    don't forget to buy them a puppy.
    Got any good recipes for that?

@Funkfingers I fear I might know who No. 1 was...

https://cdn77.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/kitler20.jpg