Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Eldest daughter has gone Vegan...what Christmas nibbles to feed her?

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396

I'm going to read this thread to her

Best Christmas present ever.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarky said:
    Do a roast lump of tofu.
    Image result for roast tofu

They say you are what you eat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Think yourself lucky.

She could have gone Vogon. In which case you'd be subject to hours of shit poetry.
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Give em a bowl of sprouts...that'll put their resolve to the test. 
  • Indian snacks tend to be the go to nibbles - veg samosas, pakoras, bhajis, packets of Corfresh snacks, etc. Hummus and pittas or crudités easy enough stuff to buy. If you want to make something you could look at the BOSH.TV channel on YouTube which is step by step vegan recipes. 
    The supermarkets do vegan ranges but they don't tend to be very exciting. Lots of vegan burger and rissole and nut roast type recipes out there although finding your nearest Indian sweet shop or large grocer and getting samosas,etc, in is the easier and possibly tastier route. 
    If you want some posh chocs the Bendicks dark chocolate range is all suitable for vegans and in supermarkets this time of year. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Sandwiches made with 'wafer thin' ham. They won't even notice.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Crisps.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

There are loads of options really, good suggestions from @erictheweary above.

Dips are always good, it's really easy to make things like aubergine dip or mushroom pate.  There's loads of Mediterranean stuff, olives, patatas bravas, salsa's etc, all quick and easy to make. 

If you're used to having mini pork pies and loaded potato skins in such scenarios, rather than looking at it as either a headache or vegan piss taking session (hard to tell where you are really coming from here ), look at it as an opportunity to broaden your own culinary knowledge.   Even meat eaters should be eating vegetarian or vegan a good part of the time, even if you don't think of it as so.   Some of the suggestions you might actually enjoy......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    If you're doing a buffet then get houmous, pittas, linda McCartney sausage rolls, pringles, falafel, samosas, spring rolls, oreos, supermarket own brand mint thins.

There's loads of stuff, but the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it. Her partner however will be happy to drink their breast milk and eat their periods as he's a sick fuck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it.
    Carrots Julienne anyone? ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Holland and Barrett if you have one near.  They usually have seasonal offerings. Linda Mc sausage rolls may be acceptable but you can make your own as jusrol is vegan.
    If it is buffet stuff then a rice dish, a pasta dish, loads of humous, Indian nibbles, nuts etc. 

Don't forget the alcohol. Co-op wines are labelled.

And dessert.  You should find a Christmas pudding and just add soya cream or soya vanilla dessert.

Do a list before and let her sign-off as any mistakes will blow up out of all proportion.

And don't forget to buy them a puppy.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Baked spuds with yoghurt & spices or baked beans instead of cheese/tuna

I used to do a mean spicy Chestnut stuffing for a veggie pal of mine (breadcrumbs, horseradish etc), he used to have all the Christmas veg (provided not roasted in goose fat) with vegan gravy and loved it.  Did it with and without nut/tofu roast.

Also - do sprouts with chestnuts instead of, or as well as bacon
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    The words ‘Bon appetit’ plated up with alphabet pasta.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited November 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:

Any suggestions?

Retract the invite? 

Very good! Actually, I don't recall a formal invitation being issued, it was more of a "we'll be over during the holiday". I could just tell them they're not welcome as we don't like Vegans.
    Look at it this way. If your daughter invited you to her house for food would she make the effort to cook you a meat dish? Besides how can she live with herself eating food prepared by a meateater, in a meateaters house with people wearing leather shoes and the like!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Chocolate covered sprouts. And make sure they say thank you. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5503
    edited November 2017
    Have you got a blender?  Buy a bag of kale and nuke it in the blender.  Pop a bit of tinsel (ethically sourced) on top and there you go.
    They go mad for that shit. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    The Quorn mince is a great mince beef alternative..  I'm not full on vegetarian, just don't eat a lot of meat - when in a sauce there is not a lot of difference between Quorn mince and regular.

If you do roast potatoes watch out how you cook them - My first properish job was a waiter many years ago.. had this vegan in who was very vocal about the whole thing.. changed the roast meal to accommodate. Told them that the potatoes were cooked in duck fat.. they said that's fine. I imagine for most other vegan that's not fine :)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    LuttiS said:
    The Quorn mince is a great mince beef alternative..  I'm not full on vegetarian, just don't eat a lot of meat - when in a sauce there is not a lot of difference between Quorn mince and regular.

If you do roast potatoes watch out how you cook them - My first properish job was a waiter many years ago.. had this vegan in who was very vocal about the whole thing.. changed the roast meal to accommodate. Told them that the potatoes were cooked in duck fat.. they said that's fine. I imagine for most other vegan that's not fine :)
    If it's decent beef mince (as opposed to the insipid supermarket stuff) there really is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    DefaultM said:
    the main thing to remember is that if it was once alive and then hacked to pieces then neither will want to eat it.
    Carrots Julienne anyone? ;)

DefaultM said:
    Carrots Julienne anyone?
    Thanks a lot, now I can only eat dust (once I've picked out the mites obviously).