Custom Chibson Experience (Internals vid added)

What's Hot

Comments

• Hurry up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    2 minutes... no photos F5 F5  F%uckin5
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27602
    Refresh.

Refresh.

Refresh.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    guitargeek unintentionally crashes FB.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    First up, for those that were wondering, the soundtrack for the depot adventure was provided by Tool;

My trusty box-opening-weapon-of-choice, it's served me well for many years and I believe is a Chanley model. The box was slightly crushed at one corner, but nothing that worried me;

Oh look, a guitar-shaped-object.

Mmm, freebies...

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Just out of interest....... Are they genuine D'Addario strings?  Just askin'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The weight of the box really threw me, it was so light that I thought they'd forgotten to put a guitar in there! I then started wondering if they'd not built it with a centre-block etc. It weighs up at 6lbs 12oz, and feels fantastic on a strap. A bit light for some, but I'd anticipated it being an anchor so this is a nice surprise!

Seen here with a chig;

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Thats looking good!

How does it play man?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited April 2014
    The binding on the body is very nicely done, there's a slight bit of over-sanding on the edge of the bass-horn, but I only noticed when the light caught it. The fingerboard sides are well bound and dressed, but the cap piece at the end is a little shoddy. Still, it's only cosmetic.

The gap is maybe 2mm high on the right, and goes as far as the end of the fingerboard.

The f-hole binding repair is, as suspected, a bit of a bodge job. It's not binding at all, merely paint (with no clear coat I might add). I'm half-tempted to sand it off and leave them bare, but they actually look fine from any more than a foot away so I probably won't.

*EDIT* NOPE, IT'S REAL BINDING!

The neck....

IS FRAKKIN BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

They've got the nut & 12th-fret depth measurements I asked for exactly right, and the profile is a fantastic feeling soft-V - exactly as I wanted. I couldn't be happier with the feel of it. :D It echoes the Gibson ES-335 Fat-neck I had a few years ago, but with a hint less shoulder. Very much the same as the Gibson CS '55 hot-rod models if you ever got the chance to play one. 

The fingerboard is most definitely ebony, and the inlays are perfectly acceptable with just a little bit of filler around the edges. I'll polish the 'board up a bit too when I do the frets as it could do with a little bit of love to show it off to it's full potential.

I'll measure the frets in a bit, but suffice to say they're nicely levelled & dressed. I need to give them a polish to remove some small scratches, but they're generally a very good standard. No buzzing anywhere so far, might change as it settles in further though.

The nut is really nicely dressed (mdphillips could learn a thing or two here), I think the D slot is a hair too low though as I get the barest hint of buzz on the open string only.

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    So how does it sound? Are you pleased with the playability etc?

Congratulations are in order Sir.
    ;)
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Posted whilst you were.....
    edited April 2014
    The the logo is more bronze than it appears here (note the natural Abrams-effect), and seems to be an actual silkscreen job - not a decal... neat. B-)

My DOB serial is nicely applied too, brings a smile to my face just looking at it, and how sexy is that flake in the lacquer?!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That picture with the "Starbocks" mug in sharp focus and the blurred guitar at the back is utter genius!

Biggest laugh I have had at t'interweb in a looooong time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Pics still not showing here. Bumhats.

I've arranged to finish early to check them out at home. Do I win sad thread devotee of 2014?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I guess the obvious thing to ask is that, now you've had it an hour, do you want another one?

Looks beautiful though Si - really pleased it worked out so well :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Nice.

So how does it play?

How'd you think it compares with a £350~ Epiphone?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27602
    Looks beautiful though Si - really pleased it worked out so well :)
    Exactly this.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited April 2014
    @Richardj - they might be, but probably not... how would I check?

@Antique_guitars - my hairy legs are too good to share with anyone but my wife, you'd all be jealous and I couldn't do that to you.

@kelvinburn - sorry about the pics, they'll still be here later though! :p

I'm not going to say a great deal yet about the sound or playability. I want it to settle first and then I'll pass judgment. First impressions are very good though, I wouldn't have expected better from an Epiphone, and it's about on par with my expectations for a Gibson USA mid-range model.

Plugged in it sounds pretty damn sweet, but it's been a year since I've had anything with humbuckers so I can't say for sure how it compares. It's got quite a controlled bass, and is very nice and clear across the strings. Not quite as warm as some 335s I guess, but I'll see what I can do from tweaking the pickup & pole heights after a setup.

@JookyChap - Yes, I most certainly would order another one. :)

*edit* One bad thing to note - the bridge tone pot doesn't work. Hardly a problem though as I was going to put a new loom in next week regardless! I'll open the cavity in a bit to check the wiring and get some internals shots for you all to have a gander at.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @guitargeek62 - OBE for services to reasonably priced international guitar import AS. Happy NGD