My CITES nightmare

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    lewism said:
    although it’s seemingly geared more to people who want to import a Panda than a guitar.

I knew this story would descend into pandemonium.

(Nah, keep going, I'm getting into the story)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    (Insert Eastenders drum fill here)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    edited January 2018
    And now a word from our sponsors - 

B)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    photek said:
    It better be a vintage Gibson after all this :)
    Does a 1998 Epiphone bolt-on Les Paul count?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this tale told in real time? :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31770
    Never mind that, tell us more about the panda. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    TL:DR version as some of you lack a sense of drama:
    I’ve bought a guitar from the US, don’t see what the fuss about CITES is so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is this tale told in real time? :)
    Well, it will be from now on. Just thought that with buying via Reverb, buying from the US and CITES all cropping up recently I might have something to offer in a slightly waffly way. Anyway, I’m about to put the kettle on for a cup of tea. Further updates when available.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I think everyone is a little bit over excited with CITES so far. Are there any victims of it here?

I strolled back from the US with a guitar in October. Not that it was Cites infringing but nobody even looked to see what it type of guitar it was or even questioned me about it.

It went through the xray machine in it's bag and that was it. 
  • I feel the end of the story was a bit of an anti-climax. I was hoping you'd end up in some massive bust up with border control and you'd be on one of the Americanised border patrol type tv shows screaming "I know my rights!"

Nonetheless, thanks for documenting the process. Seems straight forward enough.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2813
    I like it @lewism - that's the kind of experience we need to know about and beautifully told - thank you!
    I feel the end of the story was a bit of an anti-climax. I was hoping you'd end up in some massive bust up with border control and you'd be on one of the Americanised border patrol type tv shows screaming "I know my rights!"

Nonetheless, thanks for documenting the process. Seems straight forward enough.
    Think of it as a “Previously, on 24” recap for a series you’ve started watching halfway through.  I may still have my showdown but, given that it’s now in the hands of our Civil Service, it’s now more likely to involve passive aggressive emails about misplaced commas or the wrong colour of ink on a form.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    It seems amazing in 2017/2018 this whole thing is not electronic. Its the same for most CITES stuff I am sure there are groups of people with piles of paper trying to match up US to UK permit numbers.  I am sure Bristol will send it to Heathrow arrivals by carrier pigeon for customs to actually look at. It is the misguided notion of people in these organisations that more bureaucracy equals stronger enforcement.

Waiting for the next instalment 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    when's the nightmare bit?
    pmbomb said:
    when's the nightmare bit?
    Making you read my waffle! Like I said, the title’s slightly tongue in cheek. Yes, it’s taking a bit longer, I’ve had to fill out a form and pay £74 but it’s not exactly the end of the world.

It seems amazing in 2017/2018 this whole thing is not electronic. Its the same for most CITES stuff I am sure there are groups of people with piles of paper trying to match up US to UK permit numbers.  I am sure Bristol will send it to Heathrow arrivals by carrier pigeon for customs to actually look at. It is the misguided notion of people in these organisations that more bureaucracy equals stronger enforcement.

Waiting for the next instalment 
    That’s partly a worry but if you read some posts (especially on certain US forums) you’d expect it to be smashed in front of you by uniformed thugs and I sincerely doubt it will be - it’s not being delivered by Parcelforce.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    this is like that YourGuitarSage video "the single most important thing you need to learn guitar" then at the end of 20 minutes of waffle he says "patience".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    pmbomb said:
    this is like that YourGuitarSage video "the single most important thing you need to learn guitar" then at the end of 20 minutes of waffle he says "patience".
    The NGD payoff when it arrives should be worth it.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    lewism said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Unless I'm missing something. You're not much of a story teller.

You may be missing some patience, unless you really want to read a massive wall of text!
    Paragraphs are your friend!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom