My CITES nightmare

What's Hot

Comments

• You're all (*not ALL) very cynical.

Personally, I enjoyed the whole experience. He made a mundane task interesting to read about and I'm all the more clued up about the process of importing pandas (and rosewood). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 238
    I do like panda's 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392 said:
    I do like panda's 
    Me too but I couldn't eat a whole one.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    rolls1392 said:
    I do like panda's 
    Panda's what?
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    crunchman said:
    Saw that there were nine new posts on this thread since I last looked.  Thought maybe there is an update, and no.  People are just talking about nothing.
    I'm not.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1767

I've just been reading a thread elsewhere where a guy is trying to import a panda from the states to the uk.

He's moaning that it would be easier trying to import a guitar with a rosewood board.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The thing about Pandas is they may look all soft and fluffy, but they don't like it when you wipe your bum on them. :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Came here in hope of another chapter of The Chronicles of CITES.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    mbe said:
    Came here in hope of another chapter of The Chronicles of CITES.
    Need to wait 2-6 weeks for the next chapter I imagine :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 612
    Is that the end of season one? Do we have to wait 2 years for the next season like Game of Thrones? :angry: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Er, you won’t have to wait that long, but I might....Just got off the phone with APHA and they’re ok with me putting this up:
    https://i.imgur.com/S5ElWGR.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarification over the phone: EU rules prohibit the commercial import (i.e. buying from a commercial entity) of Brazilian rosewood into the EU unless it’s already been imported at some point or, possibly (and it’s subject to interpretation) if it predates 1947. The only way to do it is go over there, collect it and bring it back in as a personal import! Same permit at the US end, would have to apply for a personal permit to bring it back in. My usual good mood is slightly dented.
    Presumably different rules for newer guitars, but it appears that there are big implications for vintage guitars. In my case, it’s time to look at flight prices. We’d been talking about going to NY this year but I didn’t expect to have my hand forced on the issue. I didn’t ask, but this may also have implications for exporting out of the EU as well unless you’ve got a verifiable history for the guitars movements.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Oh how dreadful! 

Also, how utterly batshit crazy.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    My understanding is that once you bring it back as a personal possession that you aren't then allowed to sell it again.
    crunchman said:
    My understanding is that once you bring it back as a personal possession that you aren't then allowed to sell it again.
    You might be right, I only really sought clarification on the issue at hand. It does seem to almost encourage flying over with an empty case and sneaking something back in. So much for being honest and doing things the right way!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1767

All joking about Pandas aside.....

This essentially means that any vintage electric guitar with a rosewood board cannot be imported from the states anymore unless it's previously been imported.

Now I'm all for saving the trees however not allowing a sale of something that was felled 53 years ago makes zero sense to me. Blocking this import will have zero effect on anything to do with the future preservation of endangered woods.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    lewism said:
    crunchman said:
    You might be right, I only really sought clarification on the issue at hand. It does seem to almost encourage flying over with an empty case and sneaking something back in. So much for being honest and doing things the right way!
    or a cheap Squier clone...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

I suspect that there will be cases of BRW imported as a personal possession where the paperwork will be "lost".

If that happens then the assumption will be that it was imported before the rules came in.

JerkMoans said:
    lewism said:
    crunchman said:
    or a cheap Squier clone...
    I’d joked about doing that when mslewism and I were talking about going to NY.........