Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe FX 3

What's Hot

Comments

• Haven't been over to TGP but are they all collectively shitting on their as yet undelivered best new amps/fx units?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn’t the Axf2 already the most powerful modeller out there by quite some distance? Why make it even more powerful when the major sticking point for most was price then availability? Make it cheaper and not look like an early 90’s rack mount sampler and you’d sell a shit ton more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Isn’t the Axf2 already the most powerful modeller out there by quite some distance? Why make it even more powerful when the major sticking point for most was price then availability? Make it cheaper and not look like an early 90’s rack mount sampler and you’d sell a shit ton more
    Progress I guess? 

I would guess helix has taken over the slightly lower price point market. 

Maybe they'll still sell the fx2 for a bit less? 

There is a large army of fractal fans that will upgrade asap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn’t the Axf2 already the most powerful modeller out there by quite some distance? Why make it even more powerful when the major sticking point for most was price then availability? Make it cheaper and not look like an early 90’s rack mount sampler and you’d sell a shit ton more
    Right but it still has some limitations. Some users have not been able to create the patches they need with the 2 - Devin Townsend for one had to simplify his ambient delay/verb chain on the 2. Pretty sure @Clarky has patches that push the 2 to its limits as well.

Fractal aren’t a high volume/low price kind of company and I don’t think they have any intention to become one either. 

On spec alone this thing is incredibly powerful.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Stuck myself on the G66 waiting list earlier and Sussi reckons it'll be about €2800 depending on the exchange rate at the time. 

I'm guessing at least €500 for the foot controller too depending one which one you go for?

I'd love one but realistically can't justify the increase over my AX8, not for now anyway. 

Specs are impressive though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some more info on the switches - 

"The FC series are like 12 foot controllers in one. The FC foot controllers feature 12 "layouts". Each layout has a unique, user-assignable set of switch functions. For example Layout 1 could have five preset switches, five scene switches and two switches assigned to bank up/down. Press and hold the bottom right switch and the then tap the switch above it and you enter Layout Select mode. Then tap a switch to select a new Layout. This new layout could have six channel switches and six bypass switches. Etc."

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-footswitch.134773/#post-1592898
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Blimey, the state of the Kemper Facebook page since the lack of namm news and now this. It's embarrassing on there. Im close to leaving it
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    joeyowen said:
    Blimey, the state of the Kemper Facebook page since the lack of namm news and now this. It's embarrassing on there. Im close to leaving it
    The Kemper is still ok for a thing that makes amp type noises  =)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Freebird said:
    joeyowen said:
    The Kemper is still ok for a thing that makes amp type noises  =)

I still love my Kemper for sure. I have always hated the argument though.  Too much time spent arguing about quality when I'm convinced that most people can't actually hear the difference isolated,let alone in a mix

• Thing is it can actually be better for some sounds. Keith Merrow has said in interviews that he often prefers his tweaked Kemper profiles to the actual amps.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Isn’t the Axf2 already the most powerful modeller out there by quite some distance? Why make it even more powerful when the major sticking point for most was price then availability? Make it cheaper and not look like an early 90’s rack mount sampler and you’d sell a shit ton more
    Right but it still has some limitations. Some users have not been able to create the patches they need with the 2 - Devin Townsend for one had to simplify his ambient delay/verb chain on the 2. Pretty sure @Clarky has patches that push the 2 to its limits as well.

Fractal aren’t a high volume/low price kind of company and I don’t think they have any intention to become one either. 

On spec alone this thing is incredibly powerful.
    yes I've managed to push the Axe-II to it's limits..
    not just CPU but also stored preset size
    that said, what I have managed to get it to do, nothing else is able to get close to it

the Axe-III I'm thinking will [for me] be more of the same but with a lot more elbow room
    it means I'll be able to rationalise don't to a fewer number of presets cos I'll be able to squeeze more functionality in..
    however, I only have 5 presets for a gig right now so I'm not exactly struggling..
    tone wise the Axe-II is hitting the spot for me..
    functionality wise it does everything I need it to do and some..
    and at a time when I'm looking to make my live rig physically smaller / lighter, the Axe-III is bigger
    so... right away I'm figuring that the spend is simply not worth it just yet for me..

that said... would I like to have one? absolutely... I know I'll get one when the right combination of reasons emerge
    specifically enough disposable dosh coupled with some feature / capability in the Axe-III that I know will become a serious need for me..

play every note as if it were your first
  • That's my thoughts too. I was playing all night on my 2 XL last night and it sounds great and ticks all of my boxes at the moment. I do like the fact they've increased loop time to 5 minutes, that's a selling factor for me. But not quite worth the outlay alone. 

For me, I will upgrade one day, maybe I'll wait for the new version of the AX8, maybe I'll get the Axe3, I'm unsure. But right now, I'm VERY surprised that I have a piece of gear here that I am happy enough with to not want to upgrade to the latest and greatest (just yet)...that, coming from me, is surely a testament to how great I think this thing is. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    basically, with AxeFx you're buying a DSP platform for the next X years of free updates
    so although it will make a difference immediately to get a Mk3, you're really buying an entry ticket to the next few years of features

My name is on the list
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    The FaceBook pages have pretty much exploded...! There's also talk that the firmware updates for the FXII will now stop - personally, i don't see that, as they would be crazy to stop supporting what was their flagship product.

Very interested in getting one, but it's a stupid amount of money, for not much of an improvement over my AX8.
  • FarleyUK said:

Very interested in getting one, but it's a stupid amount of money, for not much of an improvement over my AX8.
    I'm not sure it's not 'much of an improvement'. As @ToneControl ;says, it's not an improvement yet, but will be over coming years. Whether of course you use the extra horse power, is a different story, in that case it may not be an improvement at all. Which is kind of where I'm at. I rarely use full power on my XL, I just find myself wanting when it comes to looping and a few other bits. But that won't warrant the outlay at the moment. When they model an Electric Mistress or better the already awesome DMM, or create some amazing reverb that I won't be able to get with my measly XL...that's when I'll be wanting the upgrade.

edited January 2018

Channels and seamless switching are the most tempting features at the moment for me, but not enough to fork out over £3k just yet, so although my name is on the list I'll probably stick with my AX8 for now... unless I have an unexpected windfall between now and then.

Eventually I'll get the 3 and as has been said it'll be the platform for many years of updates, especially with the amount of processing power they've put into it - over 5 times as much as the AX8 looking at their graph in the blurb

Now they've addressed gapless switching plus the sheer volume of effects you can have, I can't honestly think what else I'd want it to do, so am viewing it as a purchase that'll keep me going for a long time.

The FX8 & AX8 are still the biggest GAS killing purchases I've ever made, which still surprises me as someone who was very sceptical about Fractal for as long as I was. 

• DavusPG said:

The FX8 & AX8 are still the biggest GAS killing purchases I've ever made, which still surprises me as someone who was very sceptical about Fractal for as long as I was. 

I too was a long time sceptic. But since taking the leap, the Axe FX has pretty much killed all my gear gas except for guitars.

I too was a long time sceptic. But since taking the leap, the Axe FX has pretty much killed all my gear gas except for guitars.
    Yup - if I manage to sell some of my guitars then that could pave the way for an Axe 3

Only last night I was questioning how many of my guitars I "really" need....although I've been asking myself that for years 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I'm wondering what the price of a used Axe-FX II will be in 6 months..
    play every note as if it were your first
    That's a good point....

On the subject of pricing, the mark up for us Europeans is a bit annoying.

In the US the 3 will be the same price as the 2XL which is $2499

On G66 the 2XL is currently €2299, yet when I asked yesterday they reckoned it's likely to be €2800?

Supply and demand I guess